• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How the 2020 playoffs should be played

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But they are designed for neutral site and no fans in the stands? These are different times...they can do whatever they need to get it done.

I get what you're saying and I agree in principle.

Having said that though, I just can't see a single elimination working. I'd be surprised if even many fans would want that.

Single elimination works for March Madness because it's a 64 team tournament (68 if you count the play in games), so there really isn't another way to do it.

The NBA is set up to get the 2 best teams to the finals. Even if a surprise team manages to get hot and make a deeper run than expected, chances are they aren't getting past the conference finals.

Depending on how long this goes, I could see them possibly shortening the first couple of rounds to 5 games. But I would be beyond shocked if they went to a single elimination playoff.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Having said that though, I just can't see a single elimination working. I'd be surprised if even many fans would want that.

Single elimination works for March Madness because it's a 64 team tournament (68 if you count the play in games), so there really isn't another way to do it.

The NBA is set up to get the 2 best teams to the finals. Even if a surprise team manages to get hot and make a deeper run than expected, chances are they aren't getting past the conference finals.

Depending on how long this goes, I could see them possibly shortening the first couple of rounds to 5 games. But I would be beyond shocked if they went to a single elimination playoff.

They could literally wrap a single elimination tournament in 8 days.

NBA fans would revolt if the playoffs were that short. Might as well not have them if that is the only solution.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine the asterisk that would come along with a single elimination tournament.

There is one way I could see a single elimination tournament working.

If this thing drags on through most of the summer (which I doubt), it could reach a point where, there isn't enough time for a full playoff, but still enough time for some basketball.

Have all 30 teams compete in a single elimination tournament over about a 2 week period. There would be monetary rewards and a trophy, but it wouldn't count as an official NBA Championship.

If they did that, I'd even say don't even separate the conferences. Just rank them 1-30 based on record.

Maybe even have Corona beer sponsor the tournament. lol

Last edited:

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is one way I could see a single elimination tournament working.

If this thing drags on through most of the summer (which I doubt), it could reach a point where, there isn't enough time for a full playoff, but still enough time for some basketball.

Have all 30 teams compete in a single elimination tournament over about a 2 week period. There would be monetary rewards and a trophy, but it wouldn't count as an official NBA Championship.

If they did that, I'd even say don't even separate the conferences. Just rank them 1-30 based on record.

Maybe even have Corona beer sponsor the tournament. lol

Just cancel the season if it comes to that

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stephen A just said cancellation is not something the NBA is discussing.

Only way I don't see the NBA continuing is if Corona is still around in middle of June which I kinda doubt.

Our first case was on Jan 20th and shit started getting real in mid-late February. Can't see this being around for 4-5 months

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, can’t see how it would ever get to that point.

Would be better to extend the current season to October than play single elimination. And if they get pushed past that, they aren’t playing.

Imagine the asterisk that would come along with a single elimination tournament.
No asterisk if a team wins on a neutral court in an empty gym as opposed to playing an opponent who had home court?

agree 1 game more extreme, but I think anything will be on the table.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't see it either.....but I also would not have seen a team possibly earning home court throughout in front of their fans traveling to Maui to play in an empty gym.

But no doubt single elim. seems extreme (like all these ideas would have seemed a month ago).

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No asterisk if a team wins on a neutral court in an empty gym as opposed to playing an opponent who had home court?

This season will obviously have a huge coronavirus shaped asterisk no matter how it plays out

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see it either.....but I also would not have seen a team possibly earning home court throughout in front of their fans traveling to Maui to play in an empty gym.

But no doubt single elim. seems extreme (like all these ideas would have seemed a month ago).
It's choosing the best of bad options. Neutral courts are less bad than single elimination

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This season will obviously have a huge coronavirus shaped asterisk no matter how it plays out
I guess of all the seasons to happen best to be a team who just wants to have the most lottery combos.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

7 neutral court games the best team will still win most of the time.

1 neutral site game and that doesn’t happen.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess of all the seasons to happen best to be a team who just wants to have the most lottery combos.
Once again the Warriors pick the perfect time for their rebuild year in the middle of a 10 year dynasty

#lightyearsahead

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anyone saying otherwise?

Cmon man.

I replied to a suggestion for single elimination saying that it can’t happen.

Then you jumped in trying to justify it as a possibility.

They either play or they don’t. If they play, it will be a series in some form. Can’t make the NBA playoffs single elimination because it changes the fabric of the sport.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cmon man.

I replied to a suggestion for single elimination saying that it can’t happen.

Then you jumped in trying to justify it as a possibility.

They either play or they don’t. If they play, it will be a series in some form. Can’t make the NBA playoffs single elimination because it changes the fabric of the sport.
And stopping play for multiple months doesn't change the fabric of the sport?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And stopping play for multiple months doesn't change the fabric of the sport?

No. They do it every off season for about 4-5 months. This is no different. Only difference is that the players aren't travel around the world

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. They do it every off season for about 4-5 months. This is no different. Only difference is that the players aren't travel around the world
They don't usually get that big a test prior to the playoffs though.