• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How the 2020 playoffs should be played

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is why 3 weeeks of practice/ games is necessary
Once we're not under shelter in place. I'm not optimistic. Personally, I'd rather they just end this season and work on making next season normal rather than messing with two seasons. But, that is easy for me to say as the Pistons were in the tank offs not the playoffs.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once we're not under shelter in place. I'm not optimistic. Personally, I'd rather they just end this season and work on making next season normal rather than messing with two seasons. But, that is easy for me to say as the Pistons were in the tank offs not the playoffs.

I don't think they're really messing with 2 seasons. There was already talk about the NBA starting their season around Christmas permanently and ending in August to avoid competing with the NFL for the first 2 months.

I think ending the season is horrible for basically every team scheduled to be in the playoffs probably except for the Nets. The other 15 teams currently in the playoffs need the season to continue for different reasons. For some it is a chance to win a title and for others, it is getting that the playoffs experience.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they're really messing with 2 seasons. There was already talk about the NBA starting their season around Christmas permanently and ending in August to avoid competing with the NFL for the first 2 months.

I think ending the season is horrible for basically every team scheduled to be in the playoffs probably except for the Nets. The other 15 teams currently in the playoffs need the season to continue for different reasons. For some it is a chance to win a title and for others, it is getting that the playoffs experience.
I think that schedule is a terrible idea. Come June people want to be outside doing something, not inside watching basketball. Unless they are going to start making retractable roof basketball arenas too. I'd rather fight football at the start of the season than vacations and baseball at the end of the season.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cmon man.

I replied to a suggestion for single elimination saying that it can’t happen.

Then you jumped in trying to justify it as a possibility.

They either play or they don’t. If they play, it will be a series in some form. Can’t make the NBA playoffs single elimination because it changes the fabric of the sport.
But I never said single elimination was the same as neutral court.

and here you go again with opinions as fact......they can do whatever they want and doubt they'll call any of us. do I think they'd ever do single elim.? Nope...and said as much. But anything is on the table for them.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And stopping play for multiple months doesn't change the fabric of the sport?
Yeah...this is just him thinking it's his way or nothing. He has his idea and that's that.

I mean before this got crazy no one would have thought taking the players to a remote getaway, and quarantining them there to play the playoffs without fans wasn't anything but kooky talk.

Last edited:

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that schedule is a terrible idea. Come June people want to be outside doing something, not inside watching basketball. Unless they are going to start making retractable roof basketball arenas too. I'd rather fight football at the start of the season than vacations and baseball at the end of the season.

Only on weekends i agree but if you have a job then you're not out late Sunday-Thursday. They would run into trouble on fridays and saturdays because that is when most people are out. Sunday afternoon would be an issue as well but those ratings in the week would be big but it isn't about the playoffs. Those ratings will always be decent because people will always watch that more than the regular season.. It is more about the regular season. That is 2 months where they're not in competition with CFB or NFL.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only on weekends i agree but if you have a job then you're not out late Sunday-Thursday. They would run into trouble on fridays and saturdays because that is when most people are out. Sunday afternoon would be an issue as well but those ratings in the week would be big but it isn't about the playoffs. Those ratings will always be decent because people will always watch that more than the regular season.. It is more about the regular season. That is 2 months where they're not in competition with CFB or NFL.
We will just have to agree to disagree. People around here are out and about once the weather is nice and it is light late in the summer. They'll go to baseball, because it is outside, but I just don't see basketball doing well in the summer in person or on tv. We want to enjoy the nice weather the very few months we get it.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah...this is just him thinking it's his way or nothing. He has his idea and that's that.

I mean before this got crazy no one would have thought taking the players to a remote getaway, and quarantining them there to play the playoffs without fans wasn't anything but kooky talk.

No man.

I just have enough common sense to realize that a single elimination doesn’t work for the NBA.

If they can safely resume at some point, they will. Just about every other possible alternative is better than single elimination.

And the crazy thing is that I don’t think you even disagree with that. You just want to create a semantical argument.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will just have to agree to disagree. People around here are out and about once the weather is nice and it is light late in the summer. They'll go to baseball, because it is outside, but I just don't see basketball doing well in the summer in person or on tv. We want to enjoy the nice weather the very few months we get it.

Well, good news then.

Piston fans won’t have to worry about watching summer playoffs anytime soon!

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, good news then.

Piston fans won’t have to worry about watching summer playoffs anytime soon!
Sad but true.

But in all reality, I would watch way less basketball if it were in the summer. Guess I'll have to switch to hockey if the NBA ever implements this schedule.

It would also be strange to not have it somewhat coordinated with the college schedule.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sad but true.

But in all reality, I would watch way less basketball if it were in the summer. Guess I'll have to switch to hockey if the NBA ever implements this schedule.

It would also be strange to not have it somewhat coordinated with the college schedule.

Yeah. Who knows?

They might try it and find it works better. The dog days of summer are a struggle for a lot of sports fans. This could help potentially. I like less overlap between NBA and NFL personally.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. Who knows?

They might try it and find it works better. The dog days of summer are a struggle for a lot of sports fans. This could help potentially. I like less overlap between NBA and NFL personally.

Same. Picking between watching the Heat and football several sundays from late October thru January is very frustrating.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Same here in NYC but are people really going to be out 10 PM on a Monday night like that? teenagers/people with no responsibilities may be but those with kids or with job that requires them there at 8 or 9 AM M-F, we're not out late M-Thursday.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. Who knows?

Same.

There are a lot of folks who complain during the summer that baseball is the main option.

Sure, there will be some folks who choose to do things other than basketball. But I'd bet that there will also be plenty who choose to watch, especially in areas where it gets overly hot and/or humid.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same here in NYC but are people really going to be out 10 PM on a Monday night like that? teenagers/people with no responsibilities may be but those with kids or with job that requires them there at 8 or 9 AM M-F, we're not out late M-Thursday.

Yep, for most people, other than planning a vacation (which is what? a week or 2?) their schedule doesn't change significantly just because it's summer.

Even the weekends may not be too bad. A lot of folks get together for barbecues, etc. on the weekends and often times there's a baseball game on in the house and people going in and out.

Could do the same with basketball and since it would be the playoffs, folks might be more likely to have the basketball game on.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, for most people, other than planning a vacation (which is what? a week or 2?) their schedule doesn't change significantly just because it's summer.

Even the weekends may not be too bad. A lot of folks get together for barbecues, etc. on the weekends and often times there's a baseball game on in the house and people going in and out.

Could do the same with basketball and since it would be the playoffs, folks might be more likely to have the basketball game on.
Well, here in Michigan things change A LOT. It is in the western part of EST, so it is light until 10 and people take advantage of it because we have so few months of nice weather. Plus every other person has a lake house and boat they are spending time outside.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No man.

I just have enough common sense to realize that a single elimination doesn’t work for the NBA.

If they can safely resume at some point, they will. Just about every other possible alternative is better than single elimination.

And the crazy thing is that I don’t think you even disagree with that. You just want to create a semantical argument.
Only thing I disagree with is ruling it out completely.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. Who knows?

This could make the weekdays in October, November and most of December pretty boring when it comes to sports.....hard pass for me if I had a vote, which of course I don't.