• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How the 2020 playoffs should be played

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think they can get this done. It is going to take a lot of sacrifice from a lot of people, and a lot of $ from the NBA, but the NBA can make this happen. And as you know, I have not been the most optimistic about Coronavirus impact.

Here is what should happen, IMO:

1) NBA cancels rest of regular season.
2) NBA tests and quarantines all remaining playoff team players + essential personnel. Once cleared, they move to a central locale. This location could be anywhere from a large college campus to a large Caribbean resort. All personnel will reside in the same city to eliminate travel.
3) NBA hires, tests and quarantines all necessary support staff. This would include officials, food prep, and anyone else who would come in contact with players and coaches (yes I know this is a lot of people)
4) Once everyone has been safely cleared, they could begin a 2 week training camp that would help players get back in game shape. This camp would include a few exhibition games against teams from the opposite conference.
5) Playoffs start!

Obviously, no NBA personnel would be allowed to leave the chose event site for any reason to keep everybody safe. Once a team is eliminated, they can leave.

This would take a lot, but there is enough $ on the line that I think something like this could be made possible even before the virus is completely contained. Maybe by summer things are contained enough that they won’t have to take these drastic steps, but I am not sure how likely that is.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds reasonable. I can see it now. The Lakers win the championship on 8/24 aka Kobe Day

Wow.

That would be pretty special.

I am no Laker fan, but can’t think of a more fitting way for this season to end.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
almost as reasonable as Trumps Easter theory

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
almost as reasonable as Trumps Easter theory

No, because this would involve a limited number of people.

And taking steps like these is really the only way the games are getting played.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What don’t you like?

Got to give these guys a couple of games to get ready. I honestly rather see the season get cancelled instead of going right to the playoffs.

A week and half or 2 weeks of regular season basketball is all they need. 5 games at maximum.

I can live with everything else but can't jump straight to the playoffs IMO

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got to give these guys a couple of games to get ready. I honestly rather see the season get cancelled instead of going right to the playoffs.

A week and half or 2 weeks of regular season basketball is all they need. 5 games at maximum.

They'd have exhibition games to get ready
Doesn't really matter if you want them to count, ok fine.
Any plan is better than a full season cancel

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not bad.

The one that seems to be getting kicked around the most is starting in late June/early July with about 5 regular season games to get their legs back.

Then having the playoffs run through July and end in August.

It also has them playing at their home arenas, but without fans.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I had exhibition games in my plan.

Teams could load manage or ramp their guys up as they see fit.

Didn’t want to include regular season games because that means 14 additional teams have to be included for no real purpose.

Heat would play 4 or 5 games against different random West foes for their exhibitions.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not bad.

The one that seems to be getting kicked around the most is starting in late June/early July with about 5 regular season games to get their legs back.

Then having the playoffs run through July and end in August.

It also has them playing at their home arenas, but without fans.

That scenario is only possible if the virus is under control by then.

Not sure how likely that is.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It should be, seriously

I know everyone has different feelings about how this will play out and I know you are on the pessimistic side, but I really don't see how this isn't managed by then

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had exhibition games in my plan.

Teams could load manage or ramp their guys up as they see fit.

Didn’t want to include regular season games because that means 14 additional teams have to be included for no real purpose.

Heat would play 4 or 5 games against different random West foes for their exhibitions.

Now i'm satisfied with your plan

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think it's fairly likely. It's 3 months away. I doubt we'll be gathering in groups, let alone going to arenas, but I think the worst will be well over and things will be headed back towards normal.

There seems to be a lot of momentum to finishing the season, so I'm sure they're trying to come up with something for all scenarios. The one I mentioned is based on what Mark Cuban has been saying.

I'd bet something at least similar to your idea is being kicked around among others. There are a few ways they can go before canceling the season.

Travel shouldn't be a huge problem and really wouldn't be even now for NBA teams because their chartered flights give them control over who can be on or around the plane.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think they can get this done. It is going to take a lot of sacrifice from a lot of people, and a lot of $ from the NBA, but the NBA can make this happen. And as you know, I have not been the most optimistic about Coronavirus impact.

Here is what should happen, IMO:

1) NBA cancels rest of regular season.
2) NBA tests and quarantines all remaining playoff team players + essential personnel. Once cleared, they move to a central locale. This location could be anywhere from a large college campus to a large Caribbean resort. All personnel will reside in the same city to eliminate travel.
3) NBA hires, tests and quarantines all necessary support staff. This would include officials, food prep, and anyone else who would come in contact with players and coaches (yes I know this is a lot of people)
4) Once everyone has been safely cleared, they could begin a 2 week training camp that would help players get back in game shape. This camp would include a few exhibition games against teams from the opposite conference.
5) Playoffs start!

Obviously, no NBA personnel would be allowed to leave the chose event site for any reason to keep everybody safe. Once a team is eliminated, they can leave.

This would take a lot, but there is enough $ on the line that I think something like this could be made possible even before the virus is completely contained. Maybe by summer things are contained enough that they won’t have to take these drastic steps, but I am not sure how likely that is.

So ... you're suggesting they play the playoffs on a neutral court?

With no fans?

I'm for it. Not that bad of an idea, and similar to how they imagined the NCAA T playing out. I'm not so sure the players and teams would be for it.

With no homecourt advantage, it'd be chaos.

But to be honest, I think any scenario with fans is a no go.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So ... you're suggesting they play the playoffs on a neutral court?

With no fans?

I'm for it. Not that bad of an idea, and similar to how they imagined the NCAA T playing out. I'm not so sure the players and teams would be for it.

With no homecourt advantage, it'd be chaos.

But to be honest, I think any scenario with fans is a no go.

Yeah, fans probably won’t be there anyway. Might as well keep it neutral and keep everyone safely quarantined away from general public.

Even if the virus is mostly contained, 1 player catches it and everything gets shut down for another month or so.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, fans probably won’t be there anyway. Might as well keep it neutral and keep everyone safely quarantined away from general public.

Even if the virus is mostly contained, 1 player catches it and everything gets shut down for another month or so.

I'm for it.

I think they should take down the number of games in a series too. 3, at least 5. Or take down the number of teams to 8. Or both.

I vote for Maui. Maui is doing pretty well against the virus and they could use the economic infusion of a couple hundred millionaires on their island.