• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How Suh can work under the cap

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Upon further reflection if we can get him for a discount then he'd be worth the BS. I think it would come down to Wagner+Maxwell or Suh. I think I'd go with Suh because he's a freak.

tzorn10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wagner needs to stay no matter what. He's to good to let go. Maxwell is probably gone. I would love to have Suh (although he's an asshole), but there are bigger needs.

I love the thoughts of signing Fitzgerald. That would be nice.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Upon further reflection if we can get him for a discount then he'd be worth the BS. I think it would come down to Wagner+Maxwell or Suh. I think I'd go with Suh because he's a freak.

Wagner is still under contract. Maxwell would be gone. And so would Mebane (who might be anyways). I could also see Okung open to renegotiate this year to lessen the cap hit if they extend him a few years.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did grow up in the Pacific Northwest.... He would love to be a Seahawk... Question is could we actually afford him...

As I said, only way is if you send Mebain packing. He's 5.7m on our cap playing for us, and drops 5.5 off the cap if we let him loose. That's 5.5 toward whatever you want to pay Suh.

There is no way you can keep both of them.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wagner is still under contract. Maxwell would be gone. And so would Mebane (who might be anyways). I could also see Okung open to renegotiate this year to lessen the cap hit if they extend him a few years.

I know that he's under contract. But signing Suh would mean that we wouldn't have the space to sign Wagner beyond next season.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know that he's under contract. But signing Suh would mean that we wouldn't have the space to sign Wagner beyond next season.

Maybe, maybe not. There are other expendable pieces before Wagner.

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Releasing Mebane+McDaniel+Miller would be about 11 mill right there.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Daniel Snyder thought Albert Haynesworth would elevate the Redskins defense, too.

The problem with whoever signs Suh is he handicaps that teams ability to sign free agent in the future. As a Lions fan no way no how do I want to see them resign Suh for JJ Watt money. A DT is not where you put that kind of cash. And if they Franchise him they are stupid..24 million for a single season.

If the Seahawks had Raider type salary cap space or Jacksonville I would say it would be worth it but if you had that type of space you wouldn't be in the Superbowl.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Daniel Snyder thought Albert Haynesworth would elevate the Redskins defense, too.

The problem with whoever signs Suh is he handicaps that teams ability to sign free agent in the future. As a Lions fan no way no how do I want to see them resign Suh for JJ Watt money. A DT is not where you put that kind of cash. And if they Franchise him they are stupid..24 million for a single season.

If the Seahawks had Raider type salary cap space or Jacksonville I would say it would be worth it but if you had that type of space you wouldn't be in the Superbowl.

Maybe you don't pay DT's large sums of money on a balanced team, but a team that is defense first might be another story.

The question is he said he wants to play on a contender for max cash. He can't have both. Which does he want more?

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe you don't pay DT's large sums of money on a balanced team, but a team that is defense first might be another story.

The question is he said he wants to play on a contender for max cash. He can't have both. Which does he want more?

Suh is about the money and then the location. IMO

He can't market himself in Detroit so if he stays he will want a huge contract. I think he would take less to play in Seattle but how much less?

You don't want the Seahawks to be in salary cap hell like the 49ers.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He can't market himself in Detroit so if he stays he will want a huge contract. I think he would take less to play in Seattle but how much less?

Lynch isn't going to last forever and their ability to be this productive after he leaves that offense will drop hard. I'm fine with some amount of deferment.

As someone mentioned though, Mebane and a couple of others could be cleared to make up at least 2/3 of his salary, if not more.

A lot is made of Wagner and Wilson's pending contracts. They wouldn't have to make a huge dent in this years cap depending on the signing bonus and guaranteed amounts. They could both be wrapped up and not take your current space up.

I'm not saying take him, but it is possible for them to do so if he isn't going to try and break the bank. I do think it's not likely because I also think he's more about the money even if he's from this region and would be so much closer to his family.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He can talk all he wants but he won't be giving anybody much of a discount. And what's a discount anyway? 18 million dollars a year? How the hell do the Seahawks fit that in? Throw in the fact that some popular players are going to be let go to make room for a guy that's basically a scewball has a good chance of destroying the locker room and it just doesn't sound like a very sound decision. He's awesome on the field Detroit has adjusted to his brand of crazy so it seems like the best thing for him to do is just stay where he is.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can talk all he wants but he won't be giving anybody much of a discount. And what's a discount anyway? 18 million dollars a year? How the hell do the Seahawks fit that in? Throw in the fact that some popular players are going to be let go to make room for a guy that's basically a scewball has a good chance of destroying the locker room and it just doesn't sound like a very sound decision. He's awesome on the field Detroit has adjusted to his brand of crazy so it seems like the best thing for him to do is just stay where he is.

This^^^^ I know it's nice to dream about having a stud like this join a defense like the Seahawks have, just not going to happen., but hey it doesn't hurt to think about what if....

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This^^^^ I know it's nice to dream about having a stud like this join a defense like the Seahawks have, just not going to happen., but hey it doesn't hurt to think about what if....

What if .... Seattle finds a way! What if.... Suh takes less to play for a title contender... What if... It's such a never ending thing...

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if .... Seattle finds a way! What if.... Suh takes less to play for a title contender... What if... It's such a never ending thing...

It's fun to dream but Suh would be stupid to not cash in on this contract. I know it's easy for all of us to say "why should he care? He's a millionaire anyway!" but he's the guy sacrificing his body for a living. If I were in his shoes money would be at least 70% of the equation. It's not like he's 34+ and made the most of his prime earning years. This next contract is for a prime Suh and he's going to cash in. It would be dumb not to. Kind of the fundamental contradiction between fans and players. Fans grind away 40+ hours and watch the games on Sunday to escape. Sunday is the grind for the players.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dump Okung, Miller, and Mcdaniel. Keep Mebane (assuming he regains his health)who just had a great year but got hurt. $11 M off the cap. Maybe Mebane restructures.
Draft LT in round 1 if there is a player worthy of that spot available.
With a quick $11M available, we can sign Max or we could get closer to signing Suh. I would rather have Maxwell than any of the guys I suggest cutting. Sherm owns his half of the field and whoever is covering the other side better be damn good cuz he is going to get 80-90% of passes thrown to the outside.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dump Okung, Miller, and Mcdaniel. Keep Mebane (assuming he regains his health)who just had a great year but got hurt. $11 M off the cap. Maybe Mebane restructures.
With a quick $11M available, we can sign Max or we could get closer to signing Suh. I would rather have Maxwell than any of the guys I suggest cutting. Sherm owns his half of the field and whoever is covering the other side better be damn good cuz he is going to get 80-90% of passes thrown to the outside.

The only problem is your not finding a starting OT picking 31st and nobody can afford to do without one.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dump Okung? I know he's had injury problems but when he's in there he's solid. You want to turn Wilson into more of a pinata than he already is? We've spent a ton of money on defense already and a team with a 20 million dollar QB surrounded by guys making the league minimum on offense just won't cut it.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only problem is your not finding a starting OT picking 31st and nobody can afford to do without one.
Solid point. We started a rook at RT who had a decent 1st year. 2nd round pick.
LT is a more valuable position compared to RT, but we do not have a statue at QB. Cripes, we won with Bailey starting games.
Additionally, Okung leads the team in false starts and is a reliable as a 1978 Gremlin. He held out for more $ as a rookie and that got him the highest paid player on the team this year. He does drop to 6th highest paid player next year though. He will miss games every year as has been his history.
Expect Okung will start 10-12 games a year and also expect a lessor LT to fill in while he is on the sideline. I say it would be better to have a rookie 1st rounder who is reliable ( no guarantee there) start all 16 games. Probably similar results as a Okung/Bailey tandem while millions of dollars less.