• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How much should Texas A&M charge the Seahawks so they can renew the ability to use the 12th man

tzorn10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the Bills used to use it too. Could be wrong.

Paul Allen should just buy the rights.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, is that why they just sold more a couple years ago? Face it, it's a kickstarter and those who give money to an NFL team to renovate the stadium are suckers. Like they don't already get enough money with $100 ticket prices and $9 beer.

Enjoy your framed piece of recycling though :suds:

So Jerry and all the stadium builds are built from the teams left over profits after expenses are covered from the sale of tickets? Wow you learn something new everyday.

If the Seahawks used all the money from ticket proceeds at $100 a ticket for 70,000 people per game at 8 home games per year that would give them $56,000,000. It would take many years of taking all the money from ticket sales to even do some small stadium remodel job.

Your thoughts are way off base and you have no clue what you are talking about on this subject.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the Bills used to use it too. Could be wrong.

Paul Allen should just buy the rights.

Bills, colts, the infamous red skin 12th man video (google it if you never saw it, worst sports video of all time), all used it and before TAMU went crazy other teams used it at least to some extent in team marketing including the bears, packers, broncos and dolphins.

No way in hell TAMU sells those rights. Their tradition and use is an entirely different thing. They do have one of the most intense football traditions around. Just a shame they don't understand the difference between people taking their actual tradition and simply using a generic term for a different purpose.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other teams may use the 12th man but I only see the 'Hawks making banners, t-shirts. etc. and making money off of it. Again, just pay up.

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buy the trademark or just pay the rent. Does it really matter? Think of it as a donation to a good cause. I am sure every university has their hand out for money. I don't think its a negative.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we owe Texas A&M a few million dollars for taking University of Washington president Michael K. Young from us.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other teams may use the 12th man but I only see the 'Hawks making banners, t-shirts. etc. and making money off of it. Again, just pay up.

Oh they aren't worried about paying it at all. It's only like 5k/year and they make millions off merchandise alone for it. It's a matter of principle. They trademark it in '90. That number had been retired and was already our tradition long before that. It's just stupid petty bullshit.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm... you would think a town that lost the Sonics and almost the Seahawks would see the value in a community owned team.

I see many Pack fans still bitter after what happened in the NFCC game. Your fanbase needs to keep singing "Let it go" and stop with the butthurt towards the city of Seattle. We have your teams number and you need to just "Let it go...., let it go...."

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole 12th man thing regarding TA&M is a joke. If they really cared so much about protecting their vaunted tradition they wouldn't go around selling it off.

Other programs use it from HS through the pros. TA&M only threatened to sue the ones they could actually make money on. The didn't give fuckall about programs that didn't have deep pockets enough to pay for it.

It isn't about tradition. It is about money. It is a joke. Look for them to bump it up as much as they possibly can without having it actually going into the courts.

cwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh they aren't worried about paying it at all. It's only like 5k/year and they make millions off merchandise alone for it. It's a matter of principle. They trademark it in '90. That number had been retired and was already our tradition long before that. It's just stupid petty bullshit.

It's not going to be cheap to renew after next year when the current deal runs out. Of course I'm not sure why a fan would care how much their wealthy owner has to pay for a license that makes him millions.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole 12th man thing regarding TA&M is a joke. If they really cared so much about protecting their vaunted tradition they wouldn't go around selling it off.

Other programs use it from HS through the pros. TA&M only threatened to sue the ones they could actually make money on. The didn't give fuckall about programs that didn't have deep pockets enough to pay for it.

It isn't about tradition. It is about money. It is a joke. Look for them to bump it up as much as they possibly can without having it actually going into the courts.

So what? The entire reason Seattle pays for the rights to it is so they can make money off of it as well.

A few years ago the high school I went to was sued by Florida State because the high school was using their logo and name "The Seminoles", the latter not being an issue for them. Florida State walked away with a bunch of money from a district in a downward spiral and were required to replace athletic logos. That isn't exactly the outcome that benefits society the most but they protected their intangible property.

Here's a link.

IMO the Seahawks aren't being excessively charged for the whole ordeal and they make millions off of that relatively small expense. It economically benefits both A&M and Seattle so I don't really see the sour grapes aspect of it you do.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, is that why they just sold more a couple years ago? Face it, it's a kickstarter and those who give money to an NFL team to renovate the stadium are suckers. Like they don't already get enough money with $100 ticket prices and $9 beer.

Enjoy your framed piece of recycling though :suds:

The main advantage to selling worthless shares to fans is that those people at least had a choice to give the organization some money. Most cities these days just force the cost onto taxpayers willingly or unwillingly while the billionaire owners pocket the income from year to year. The Marlins cooked their books just to be able to get Miami to sign off on their proposal and citizens in the city have been up in arms for a while over it.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see many Pack fans still bitter after what happened in the NFCC game. Your fanbase needs to keep singing "Let it go" and stop with the butthurt towards the city of Seattle. We have your teams number and you need to just "Let it go...., let it go...."

Cwood makes a valid point and you fashion that as an insult towards the city of Seattle?

Talking about letting things go. SHEESH

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If "12th man" originated in Seattle, I am sure it wouldn't be ridiculous to you.

Nope. Not at all. I don't care that they have to pay for the copyright. I just don't see how a term like "12th man" or "3-peat" can reasonably be owned by someone.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have called ourselves the 12's for a lot longer than just this year. The number 12 without 'th man' has been used for years. They are interchangeable.

Yes, TAMU copyrighted that term in 1990 which was well AFTER our team had been using it. It was kind of a bitch move really given it wasn't unique to them, nor something they invented. The term "Home of the 12th man" may be part of their legacy and that's fine, but it's a generic term used in several sports that have 11 players on the field like soccer.

It's asinine the trademark was ever granted, but the proof our use of it doesn't hurt them is that they keep licensing it in the first place.

Now they want to cash in more on it. So much for the only reason they are holding that trademark is to protect the integrity of their brand. It seems integrity has a price and now that Seattle is cashing in on their form of the brand TAMU wants to put their hand out to grab some of it.

I hope they don't take it and do what they can to move past this. Use 12's or the extra man or any of the other terms that were offered instead when this came up many years ago. They can't put the genie back in the bottle no matter what they do.

Sorry Wiz, but this is total bullshit. Unless you also have an issue with your team trademarking the seahawk logo or the name "Seahawks", then you just sound like sour grapes. Your team didn't invent a picture of a seahawk, nor did they invent the word "seahawk". You have no issues with that, but you do with A&M for trademarking 12th man.

A&M sued to protect their trademark. They are charging for it because they can.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just let the 'Hawks buy off the patent(trademark) if needed. They are the ones who made this term famous. Seattle and the 12 man are forever linked.

:pound:

I guess if you say so, then it must be true. A&M was the 12th man before Seattle even had a team.

No, we weren't the first to use the term. But that isn't a requirements so I'm not sure why anyone is even bringing it up.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bills, colts, the infamous red skin 12th man video (google it if you never saw it, worst sports video of all time), all used it and before TAMU went crazy other teams used it at least to some extent in team marketing including the bears, packers, broncos and dolphins.

No way in hell TAMU sells those rights. Their tradition and use is an entirely different thing. They do have one of the most intense football traditions around. Just a shame they don't understand the difference between people taking their actual tradition and simply using a generic term for a different purpose.

You keep saying that, but don't appear to have any issues with any of the NFL trademarks your team holds. :lame:

And there is no difference in the way that Seattle wants to use it and the way that A&M does. We have a tradition of using it, and we trademarked it. In this thread you yourself have talked about the tradition of using this since the #12 was retired.

If you don't like that you have to pay to use something that someone else owns, that's fine. But stop trying to make it sound like everyone else is at fault.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what? The entire reason Seattle pays for the rights to it is so they can make money off of it as well.

A few years ago the high school I went to was sued by Florida State because the high school was using their logo and name "The Seminoles", the latter not being an issue for them. Florida State walked away with a bunch of money from a district in a downward spiral and were required to replace athletic logos. That isn't exactly the outcome that benefits society the most but they protected their intangible property.

Here's a link.

IMO the Seahawks aren't being excessively charged for the whole ordeal and they make millions off of that relatively small expense. It economically benefits both A&M and Seattle so I don't really see the sour grapes aspect of it you do.

Florida State should be fucking ashamed of themselves for suing a high school.

It just proves my point that TA&M cares nothing about their legacy and only about money. They will push for as much as they can get without it having to actually go into the courts. Therefore I can't really sympathize them.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually A&M has sued other programs and teams over it, as they HAVE to in order to maintain the trademark. A&M did what they had to do, and settled for a pissant sum of money. Everyone won.

But I see that some fans are still all worked up over it. :rollseyes:

As for a side note, no one tied to A&M has said the price will go up. The idiot talking heads in the media who are looking for both a story and a shot at SEA, are the only ones talking about a fee increase.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Florida State should be fucking ashamed of themselves for suing a high school.

It just proves my point that TA&M cares nothing about their legacy and only about money. They will push for as much as they can get without it having to actually go into the courts. Therefore I can't really sympathize them.

Why would we care about going to court? We legally own something and have the documents now to prove that Seattle agrees with that. A&M doesn't have to license it for a tiny freaking amount of money...but you keep banging that "we are the victim here" drum. It suits your fanbase so well.