• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How many Majors will Rory end up with?

How many Majors will Rory end up with?

• 4. That's it. He is happy with his life. Others hit it further. Injuries. Etc.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • 5-6. His talent/experience get him another few.

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • 7-10. He finds a few dominant years again.

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • 10-14. He starts entering the discussion as the 3rd greatest player of all time.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than 14. He enters the discussion as possible greatest player ever.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure I would classify what Tiger did as peaking at the majors.

Tiger's game for 11 years (give or take) was in the stratosphere of precision. It never wavered or went up and down like you see what happens to all golfers after being hot for a couple of years.

Yea, I'm sure his intense focus got even better at the majors. But if you look at all his wins & majors the credit does not go to all of the famous highlights that you see all of the time. It goes to the bogeys & double bogeys he never made. Tiger never never never went backwards in tournaments. It was so rare it was ridiculous.

If you have the skill & power to dismantle any golf course like the Dustin's & Rory's in the world, that is only half the battle. Now you have to figure out the other half of Tiger's blueprint. How to eliminate bogey's & double bogeys and stop missing cuts.

Lot of truth there...Tiger peaked '00 to '02 where it seemed like every other approach was within 10' That precision didn't last that long.

You're right...not every major he won was '97 Masters or Pebble Bch like...where he ran away from the field. Several were hard fought, but he simply did not go backwards much...rarely ever making dbl.

Rory peaked at Congressional, and Kiawah and we saw the margin. He was solid from day one at the Open but was challenged. He's basically gone from spectacular, which is understandable that he wouldn't sustain, to very good/solid and won, to up and down. It's tough to win any event playing up and down.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure I would classify what Tiger did as peaking at the majors.

Tiger's game for 11 years (give or take) was in the stratosphere of precision. It never wavered or went up and down like you see what happens to all golfers after being hot for a couple of years.

Yea, I'm sure his intense focus got even better at the majors. But if you look at all his wins & majors the credit does not go to all of the famous highlights that you see all of the time. It goes to the bogeys & double bogeys he never made. Tiger never never never went backwards in tournaments. It was so rare it was ridiculous.

If you have the skill & power to dismantle any golf course like the Dustin's & Rory's in the world, that is only half the battle. Now you have to figure out the other half of Tiger's blueprint. How to eliminate bogey's & double bogeys and stop missing cuts.

Great pt. Consistency seems to be the thing that is toughest to obtain for these guys. Look at Jason Day in the US Open. He had two triple bogies in the 1st rd. That pretty much did him in & who knows - he might have survived the w/e & did halfway decent if he made pars on those holes. That type of thing is becoming far too common for the current top players & you will even see guys playing lights out one week & missing the cut the following. It is just very tough to consistently be very good on the tour especially with all of the distractions & the high level of competition.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great pt. Consistency seems to be the thing that is toughest to obtain for these guys. Look at Jason Day in the US Open. He had two triple bogies in the 1st rd. That pretty much did him in & who knows - he might have survived the w/e & did halfway decent if he made pars on those holes. That type of thing is becoming far too common for the current top players & you will even see guys playing lights out one week & missing the cut the following. It is just very tough to consistently be very good on the tour especially with all of the distractions & the high level of competition.

EEEEHHHH...yeah consistently very good, I agree, that's tough. But, the up and down nature of what we're seeing makes this crop of top tier players look...not very hungry.

I'm not blaming the players...I know damn well if I just won the USO and cashed a check for $1.9mil...I would be taking it easy for a couple of weeks...and that couple of weeks of taking it easy is just enough to miss the cut the next tourney they play.

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Rory fires his caddy looks healthy again and has a real jump in his step.
I want to change my vote to 7-10 majors. Maybe seeing Spieth win his third major has also lit a fire under his ass. Carrying his drives 320 again.

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
7-10. Not sure what everyone is seeing that makes them think he's done. He's 28 and I know that he's failed to win for 7 whole tournaments since he won the Tour Championship. But he'll win a few more unless he loses his game completely.

I wanted to give you credit for not wavering on Rory during his down period.
I am now with you on 7-10.

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rory hasn't lifted weights all year. Look out.

Rory Hasn't "Lifted a Weight All Year"

“But I literally have — the most I’ve lifted in the gym is 15 pounds this year because of my injury,” he said. “I’m nowhere near as strong as I used to be. I’m not. But I don’t need to be. I feel like physically if I’m stable and I’m strong in the right areas, I’m okay.

“So at least I can’t be criticized for that this year.”

Reevaluate your goals on him fellas!
Me thinks Rory might have just found out what many have been trying to tell him.
You don't need to look like a body builder to play your best golf.

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Westgate Las Vegas SuperBook.

• Rory McIlroy: 7-1
  • Jordan Spieth: 8-1
  • Dustin Johnson: 12-1
  • Hideki Matsuyama: 12-1
  • Rickie Fowler: 15-1
  • Jon Rahm: 20-1
  • Jason Day: 25-1
  • Brooks Koepka: 25-1
  • Justin Rose: 30-1
  • Henrik Stenson: 35-1
  • Sergio Garcia: 35-1
  • Adam Scott: 35-1
  • Justin Thomas: 35-1
  • Thomas Pieters: 40-1
  • Paul Casey: 40-1

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got 3 more for him. He's going to go on another run at some point when he's 100% focused again.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Westgate Las Vegas SuperBook.

• Rory McIlroy: 7-1
  • Jordan Spieth: 8-1
  • Dustin Johnson: 12-1
  • Hideki Matsuyama: 12-1
  • Rickie Fowler: 15-1
  • Jon Rahm: 20-1
  • Jason Day: 25-1
  • Brooks Koepka: 25-1
  • Justin Rose: 30-1
  • Henrik Stenson: 35-1
  • Sergio Garcia: 35-1
  • Adam Scott: 35-1
  • Justin Thomas: 35-1
  • Thomas Pieters: 40-1
  • Paul Casey: 40-1

Anyone here take that 35-1 bet on Thomas? That actually didn't look too bad coming into the tourney since Thomas (even before the PGA win) looks as good as anyone on a given week.

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone here take that 35-1 bet on Thomas? That actually didn't look too bad coming into the tourney since Thomas (even before the PGA win) looks as good as anyone on a given week.

35-1 sure looks good now.
I think Garcia 35-1 and Thomas Pieters 40-1 were the only 2 on this list to miss the cut.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nice pay out there!

For shits and giggles and (a nice gift card) my brother n law and I have a little 10 player pool/draft for each of the majors...Justin Thomas was picked 19th last week.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Injured Rory McIlroy may skip FedExCup playoffs to rest up for 2018 and the Masters

Injured Rory McIlroy may skip FedEx Cup playoffs to rest up for 2018 and the Masters

Rory McIlroy may take the rest of the year off to nurse rib and back injuries and come back strong for 2018.

Toxicology report: Tiger had 5 drugs in system

Rory needs to make sure to go easy with any medications prescribed to help him recover or he could wind up like Tiger. Good Lord - how many meds has Tiger been taking? Based on this report he should not have even have been walking let alone driving after taking this combination.

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Toxicology report: Tiger had 5 drugs in system

Rory needs to make sure to go easy with any medications prescribed to help him recover or he could wind up like Tiger. Good Lord - how many meds has Tiger been taking? Based on this report he should not have even have been walking let alone driving after taking this combination.

• Hydrocodone, the generic form of a painkiller branded as Vicodin.

• Hydromorphone, a strong painkiller commonly known as Dilaudid.

• Alprazolam, a mood and sleep drug commonly known as Xanax. (The report also listed Alpha-Hydroxy Alprazolam, which is what Xanax becomes when it breaks down in the system.)

• Zolpidem, a sleep drug commonly known as Ambien.

• Delta-9 carboxy THC, the active ingredient in marijuana.
That is a pretty strong mix.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • Hydrocodone, the generic form of a painkiller branded as Vicodin.

• Hydromorphone, a strong painkiller commonly known as Dilaudid.

• Alprazolam, a mood and sleep drug commonly known as Xanax. (The report also listed Alpha-Hydroxy Alprazolam, which is what Xanax becomes when it breaks down in the system.)

• Zolpidem, a sleep drug commonly known as Ambien.

• Delta-9 carboxy THC, the active ingredient in marijuana.
That is a pretty strong mix.

It looks like alcohol was the ONLY drug that wasn't in his system that day. Prior to this some made the argument that Tiger perhaps didn't realize that he was in no shape to drive that day. That would be fine if perhaps he was taking one medication & strictly following the directions for use.

However - that argument pretty much goes out the window when your are talking about 5 different medications being taken in a short window & you certainly have to be suspicious about whether they are all being legitimately prescribed. The guy needs help badly.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like someone mentioned to me - the Tiger arrest sounds very similar to the scene in "Wolf of Wall Street" where DiCaprio drives his car home one night while being totaled strung out on drugs. Scary stuff.