• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How Long Should GM's Wait for FA's?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting question on ESPN this morning.

One of the things that I think we can all agree on is that this FA class seems to in a holding pattern while waiting for Lebron, 'Melo and couple of others to make their decisions. It seems like Lebron is waiting to see what 'Melo does, 'Melo is waiting to see what Lebron does and other FA's like Pau and Deng are waiting to see what they both do.

So, the question is, You are the GM, how long do you wait before you start looking at "plan B"?

If you're the Heat or the Knicks, how long do you wait on an answer from 'Lebron or 'Melo, before you start looking at your other options?

If you are one of the teams trying to land Lebron or 'Melo, how long do you wait before moving on and targeting other FA's or re-signing your own?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me, if I'm the Heat waiting on Lebron, I wait as long as it takes. I understand the risk that I could find myself scrambling to fill a roster, but he is the best player on the planet and you kind of have to wait for that. It can be both a blessing and a curse to have the best player in the game on your team. This is the curse part.

If I'm the Knicks, I'm patient, but not as patient as the Heat are with Lebron. The Knicks are much farther away from contention than the Heat, even if 'Melo comes back. I think I would give it until about Tuesday and if there's still no word, I start looking at plan B.

If I'm a team clearing space for one of them, I look at what is happening with some of the other FA's. If they start getting impatient and looking to sign, then I might go ahead and start filling my roster.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting question on ESPN this morning.

One of the things that I think we can all agree on is that this FA class seems to in a holding pattern while waiting for Lebron, 'Melo and couple of others to make their decisions. It seems like Lebron is waiting to see what 'Melo does, 'Melo is waiting to see what Lebron does and other FA's like Pau and Deng are waiting to see what they both do.

So, the question is, You are the GM, how long do you wait before you start looking at "plan B"?

If you're the Heat or the Knicks, how long do you wait on an answer from 'Lebron or 'Melo, before you start looking at your other options?

If you are one of the teams trying to land Lebron or 'Melo, how long do you wait before moving on and targeting other FA's or re-signing your own?

It would come down to weighing what your other options are vs what you really believe your chances are.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me, if I'm the Heat waiting on Lebron, I wait as long as it takes. I understand the risk that I could find myself scrambling to fill a roster, but he is the best player on the planet and you kind of have to wait for that. It can be both a blessing and a curse to have the best player in the game on your team. This is the curse part.

If I'm the Knicks, I'm patient, but not as patient as the Heat are with Lebron. The Knicks are much farther away from contention than the Heat, even if 'Melo comes back. I think I would give it until about Tuesday and if there's still no word, I start looking at plan B.

If I'm a team clearing space for one of them, I look at what is happening with some of the other FA's. If they start getting impatient and looking to sign, then I might go ahead and start filling my roster.

:agree:It is very situational, but I think the teams who have a legit shot at landing these guys (more so LeBron) need to wait things out. It will be done by next weekend (I hope).

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If its for LeBron and you're in the running.... then you damn well wait until he says he's not coming. Even if it's a long shot. It's not like the other FA's out there are amazing anyways.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You wait for option A before moving to option B unless you know for sure you're not getting them. That's why nobody has offered any of the restricted FA's anything yet.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If your the Bird rights team, you continue to wait on option A till it is no longer available. For the teams hoping to acquire "those guys", you wait on option A till it either becomes unlikely that option A is possible or that options B, C, & D are starting to fade away. At that point GM(s) need to start pulling the trigger on what is left of the alternative options.

LeBronMonsterDunk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NBA is such a player driven league where one great player makes such a large difference that any of the teams that think they have even the smallest of shots of landing LeBron or Melo absolutely must wait as long as possible.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NBA is such a player driven league where one great player makes such a large difference that any of the teams that think they have even the smallest of shots of landing LeBron or Melo absolutely must wait as long as possible.
Unfortunately this is true for most teams with the possible exception of the Spurs and Mavs.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most FA are waiting on LBJ and Melo.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No need to as I had it correct the first time. Thanks anyway.

Hmmmm....no. The Spurs have done it consistently for the last 15 years. And even then, Tim Duncan is considered in large the best PF of all-time. A solid argument could be made that Parker is the best PG in the league, and Manu Ginobli may be in the top 10 all-time SG discussion.

Meanwhile, Dallas hasn't provent that they're a consistent franchise without a solid all-star. They've always had Dirk, and even then, it's not like they've had a run anything similar to San Antonio. Sorry, but you don't get to gloat like some Spurs fans (no disrespect, Rob and Horns) do about your team doing it the right way.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmmm....no. The Spurs have done it consistently for the last 15 years. And even then, Tim Duncan is considered in large the best PF of all-time. A solid argument could be made that Parker is the best PG in the league, and Manu Ginobli may be in the top 10 all-time SG discussion.

Meanwhile, Dallas hasn't provent that they're a consistent franchise without a solid all-star. They've always had Dirk, and even then, it's not like they've had a run anything similar to San Antonio. Sorry, but you don't get to gloat like some Spurs fans (no disrespect, Rob and Horns) do about your team doing it the right way.
you're just butt hurt about the whipping the Mavs gave the Heat in the 2011 NBA Finals. No need to be bitter.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you're just butt hurt about the whipping the Mavs gave the Heat in the 2011 NBA Finals. No need to be bitter.

Maybe, but then I remember the Heat drew first blood in '06. Cuban still won't stop with his conspiracy theories though.....so maybe I'm not the one who's jimmies are truly rustled.

Also, interesting that you didn't bother to counter my argument with this thing called facts.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe, but then I remember the Heat drew first blood in '06. Cuban still won't stop with his conspiracy theories though.....so maybe I'm not the one who's jimmies are truly rustled.

Also, interesting that you didn't bother to counter my argument with this thing called facts.
The Mavs beating the Heat in the 2011 NBA Finals is a fact Jack. Deal with it.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on the guy but if you talking the tier of Melo and Lebron (especially Lebron), you wait as long as it takes. Front Offices have their back up plans in place anyway. It's not like they get caught totally off guard with no idea what to do next if they miss on a guy (I'm sure there's a bad FO somewhere that does but most don't). And the players know the deal too. They know who the best players are and who will command what. It's all part of the game.

This waiting stuff is overblown anyway. We're not even a full week into FA. It's not everyone gets pitched and decides within the first day. It takes time. People are just impatient

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never said it wasn't. The Heat have more titles (3) than the Mavs (1) is a fact as well. Deal with it.
I know how many titles each team has and I don't have a problem with that. So what is your point?