• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How long do the Cowboys stick with Prescott before going to Dalton

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let’s end this debate @Brees#1, you can bring the stats and trends into it, and I’ll bring reality. Wentz is by far the more talented it seems,but he can’t stay healthy enough to even get out of bed every morning. Dak is very dependable and is great for all the talent the cowgirls have. Dalton would be 100 times better on that team.
Just checking to see how things are going in DC about now. Team doing well?

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just checking to see how things are going in DC about now. Team doing well?

Ole same ole shit. Just waiting on the liberal news to be tipped off that Snyder is getting arrested so they can release their story.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if it ends up being a full season it won't be anything close to a normal season. Might not even be much practice permitted for the Cowboys to see Dalton in during the season. They will get a good idea of him in the film room and how sharp he is though. I don't think the Cowboys have any future intentions with Dalton. He was brought in to be a backup, to be some sort of power play move by the Cowboys in negotiations (hasn't worked yet) and to be an insurance policy in case Dak held out.
Could be good news for Wentz since he can't actually make it through a full season

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let’s end this debate @Brees#1, you can bring the stats and trends into it, and I’ll bring reality. Wentz is by far the more talented it seems,but he can’t stay healthy enough to even get out of bed every morning. Dak is very dependable and is great for all the talent the cowgirls have. Dalton would be 100 times better on that team.

Btw, where ya at @Brees#1? We need help here.

mrschaney

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
giphy.gif

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He does suck against good teams.

alot of qb's including mahomes are under .500 against winning teams, i cant find a reliable database though

if im seeing things right, dak is 12-20 against winning teams including playoffs....

wentz is 7-20

How Wentz became butt of Twitter's most annoying joke

that is some epic trolling too

LOL....guess Wentz sucks more against good teams, but RTK knows football.:rolleyes2:

Wentz sucks against good teams.

I guess the DJax debate is over

giphy.gif

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cowboys Really Screwed This Up Didn’t They?

That seems to be the prevailing thought these days in most articles but I think it’s a situation where you take a wait and see approach. If Dallas turns around next year and signs Prescott to a four year, $40 million contract they certainly lost out. If they can’t tag him because of the cap they lost out. If they let him walk to go cheap veteran rather than high draft pick they probably lost out. In most expected NFL scenarios I think Dallas will be the loser here while Dak at worst is going to break even.

That said how many times do I read about how much of a mistake the Rams made giving Jared Goff the contract they gave him. How many times do I read about how the Vikings cant win with Kirk Cousins? How many times did I write that the Ravens made an awful mistake with Joe Flacco’s contract? Many of these contracts are perfectly fine within the NFL framework that a starter gets paid big money simply because he starts, yet we constantly criticize them after the fact because the players are not true difference makers like Patrick Mahomes and how there was a better path.

Isn’t the “better path” what the Cowboys are doing here? It’s a risky path but perhaps they see a need for a young draft pick to develop. Maybe they think there could be better value in the market next year or the year after. I like Prescott, think he is pretty good and would be very happy if the team I cheer for were to sign him, but I also don’t put him in that megastar category that houses only a few players. I think this is a case where you have to give things a bit more time to analyze how much they did screw up here.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cowboys Really Screwed This Up Didn’t They?

That seems to be the prevailing thought these days in most articles but I think it’s a situation where you take a wait and see approach. If Dallas turns around next year and signs Prescott to a four year, $40 million contract they certainly lost out. If they can’t tag him because of the cap they lost out. If they let him walk to go cheap veteran rather than high draft pick they probably lost out. In most expected NFL scenarios I think Dallas will be the loser here while Dak at worst is going to break even.

That said how many times do I read about how much of a mistake the Rams made giving Jared Goff the contract they gave him. How many times do I read about how the Vikings cant win with Kirk Cousins? How many times did I write that the Ravens made an awful mistake with Joe Flacco’s contract? Many of these contracts are perfectly fine within the NFL framework that a starter gets paid big money simply because he starts, yet we constantly criticize them after the fact because the players are not true difference makers like Patrick Mahomes and how there was a better path.

Isn’t the “better path” what the Cowboys are doing here? It’s a risky path but perhaps they see a need for a young draft pick to develop. Maybe they think there could be better value in the market next year or the year after. I like Prescott, think he is pretty good and would be very happy if the team I cheer for were to sign him, but I also don’t put him in that megastar category that houses only a few players. I think this is a case where you have to give things a bit more time to analyze how much they did screw up here.

There is no doubt that signing (tag) a franchise QB for 1 year and $31M with the Option to do so again next year is a good deal for Dallas or any team IMO. It would result in a two year $34M per deal. This is why players hate to be tagged. If Dak gets hurt or his level of play drops during that 2 years they are out of it with zero dead money and no albatross around their cap. Let's go back to last year when this talk started. Let's say he signed a 4 year deal then and then another 4 year contract after that for probably $45M-$50M per year based on inflation? That takes us through 2026. Now compare the total amount paid both ways over that 8 year period and don't forget to include the $2M he made in 2019 as part of 3 years and $70M total ($23M avg) for 2019-2021. Now most importantly they didn't have to give that huge deal and perhaps watch an injured played take up 16% of their cap for 4 years.

This line of thinking of criticizing Dallas is just dumb IMO and usually comes from the same people that say Dak wasn't worth a big contract. A one year $31M deal is great for a team in lieu of giving out $175M. So which is it? Mostly just anti-Cowboy talk. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no doubt that signing (tag) a franchise QB for 1 year and $31M with the Option to do so again next year is a good deal for Dallas or any team IMO. It would result in a two year $34M per deal. This is why players hate to be tagged. If Dak gets hurt or his level of play drops during that 2 years they are out of it with zero dead money and no albatross around their cap. Let's go back to last year when this talk started. Let's say he signed a 4 year deal then and then another 4 year contract after that for probably $45M-$50M per year based on inflation? That takes us through 2026. Now compare the total amount paid both ways over that 8 year period and don't forget to include the $2M he made in 2019 as part of 3 years and $70M total ($23M avg) for 2019-2021. Now most importantly they didn't have to give that huge deal and perhaps watch an injured played take up 16% of their cap for 4 years.

This line of thinking of criticizing Dallas is just dumb IMO and usually comes from the same people that say Dak wasn't worth a big contract. A one year $31M deal is great for a team in lieu of giving out $175M. So which is it? Mostly just anti-Cowboy talk. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Players hate the tag because it doesn't give them the long term security.

Tagging Dak again next year will be around $37-38M and then that then becomes the baseline per year average at the minimum on a long term deal going forward. Dallas has so badly mismanaged this from the start that they are inevitably going to ha e to pay Dak way more than they would have if they just got a deal done last summer.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tagging Dak again next year will be around $37-38M and then that then becomes the baseline per year average at the minimum on a long term deal going forward. Dallas has so badly mismanaged this from the start that they are inevitably going to ha e to pay Dak way more than they would have if they just got a deal done last summer.
You say that as if ANY franchise QB will be signing a contract for less than $37-$38M in 2022 :noidea:

This is a great situation for the Cowboys as long as Dak shows up to play. You said for months Dak shouldn't get X amount in a deal because he wasn't worth it and now you criticize for them not signing him and say they mismanaged it? Pick a side, or is it that you just don't want any credibility at all on here?

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Only way that’s baseline is it being fully guaranteed for 3 yrs. Right out of the cousins book.

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You say that as if ANY franchise QB will be signing a contract for less than $37-$38M in 2022 :noidea:

This is a great situation for the Cowboys as long as Dak shows up to play. You said for months Dak shouldn't get X amount in a deal because he wasn't worth it and now you criticize for them not signing him and say they mismanaged it? Pick a side, or is it that you just don't want any credibility at all on here?

Your argument is nonsensical. The price for a long term deal keeps going up on Dak with each new season and contract signed by other QBs and you are saying that is a great situation for the Cowboys?

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your argument is nonsensical. The price for a long term deal keeps going up on Dak with each new season and contract signed by other QBs and you are saying that is a great situation for the Cowboys?

At this point it really isn’t about what other qbs make, it’s about the tag. That sets his price

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point it really isn’t about what other qbs make, it’s about the tag. That sets his price
I agree, Cousins did show how to use the FT as a starting point. If i ran a team I'd do everything possible not to use the Exclusive tag, I'd use the non-exclusive tag, let other teams set the contract and either match or take the two 1st round picks.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He has credibility left?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obvious benefit: I am assuming it is just too complicated for you to understand. If Dak has a career ending injury this year which way ends up better for the Cowboys? The ability to put off a $175M contract in a cap world is an absolutely huge benefit for a team.

Possible benefit: If Dallas extends Dak this year for 4 years they likely do so in the future for 4 more years so that is 8 premium $ years for a QB. But if they go two years of tags and then 4 years there is a good chance that is it for Dak, so it's 6 years. That is of course a scenario that we can't predict but a scenario that could be huge for Dallas. They also may end up trading him or not resigning him.

Your comment that he only gets more expensive: If he signed a 4 year deal today it would be with a low cap hit year 1 and probably year 2 so years 2022 and 2023 could be as high as $45M each against the cap to come to an average of $35M. You think he signs for MORE than $45M per in two years? Regardless the cap goes up every year which is why the contracts are structured as they are in the first place.

Lastly, coming back to your hypocrisy on, well pretty much everything. You said for months Dallas would be dumb and kill their team by giving Dak a huge LT deal. They don't do it and you say they are dumb for it. Maybe the dumb one is you...