• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How is it that David Ortiz was a FA in Fantasy Baseball??

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I wrong to be completely BAFFLED as to how I was just able to pick up David Ortiz as a FA in my Fantasy League?

12 Team League H2H...

I just picked him up... I am shocked I could do that......

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know people are thinking he is back on steroids and might be shying away from him but look at his numbers... why and how in the world is he still available?

Zig

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's messed up. Is anyone actually playing in your league?

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Cubs fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice add. I got him when he came off DL. :)

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I wrong to be completely BAFFLED as to how I was just able to pick up David Ortiz as a FA in my Fantasy League?

12 Team League H2H...

I just picked him up... I am shocked I could do that......

Biggest 2 reasons is that 1. he is a DH only, and 2 because he was hurt in the beginning of the season...

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could go on all long and logical on this, but to wrap it up quick, it was likely just a league wide oversight. Everyone thought or assumed that someone else had him, and/or everyone is pretty happy with their team as is, and are managing their team only, and not looking to add or subtract from it.

That said, it would be a red falg to me telling me maybe this is not a league I want to stay in. I like winning at fantasy more than most I think, but to win when things like this become common, it takes a lot out of it for me.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could go on all long and logical on this, but to wrap it up quick, it was likely just a league wide oversight. Everyone thought or assumed that someone else had him, and/or everyone is pretty happy with their team as is, and are managing their team only, and not looking to add or subtract from it.

That said, it would be a red falg to me telling me maybe this is not a league I want to stay in. I like winning at fantasy more than most I think, but to win when things like this become common, it takes a lot out of it for me.

Sometimes what happens, especially for a player than can only be DH, is that if you have someone already starting at that position, you say to yourself taht you dont need the player. You can always drop a bench player and add him to your bench, but then you have to decide who to drop... some people including me have difficulty deciding who to drop, so we say i will pick him up tomorrow or later when i figure out a better player to drop... and there is no reason to add him if you are not going to start him, and you would not drop a good bench player for him(multi position or a young potential stud). Adding him with intent to make a trade also never works out the way planned... so sometimes you just say i will let someone else get him... But a whole league saying that is a little odd...

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is true.... I was under the impression he was taken as well and I only knew I still could have picked him up since I hit the rank button to put the highest ranked player first. i nearly fell off my chair when I saw Big Papi's name there

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Biggest 2 reasons is that 1. he is a DH only, and 2 because he was hurt in the beginning of the season...

good points. however.... once he started to hit when he came back I am surprised he wasn't picked up

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is true.... I was under the impression he was taken as well and I only knew I still could have picked him up since I hit the rank button to put the highest ranked player first. i nearly fell off my chair when I saw Big Papi's name there

Something else that might be a factor.

Some guys are way more fantasy football guys than baseball. As such, they have habits of checking on their teams only once per week.

Just searching for reasons, if not excuses......

Swangin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was actually drafted in like the 24th round in my league. we have a couple of DL slots tho

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something else that might be a factor.

Some guys are way more fantasy football guys than baseball. As such, they have habits of checking on their teams only once per week.

Just searching for reasons, if not excuses......

That could be a reason as well. I'll admit I am not into Fantasy sports as much as I probably should if I actually want to win the league

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That could be a reason as well. I'll admit I am not into Fantasy sports as much as I probably should if I actually want to win the league

Absolutley NOTHING wrong with having a real and full life Red. It just does tend to get in the way of winning at fantasy baseball, especially when you are in daily change leagues, as knowing and getting info, and getting it faster than your league mates, can make a huge difference, especially in roster management ( players getting hurt, called up, demoted, etc... ).

Lucky for me, I don't have that problem......

Zig

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was actually drafted in like the 24th round in my league. we have a couple of DL slots tho

Man I wish I was in leagues with you guys...

I took him 14th round, #195. He's ranked #64 right now...39th for batters

steal where I got him never mind the 24th round lol

but I play for $$$ so most know what they're doing.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but I play for $$$ so most know what they're doing.

NOT meant as a dig to you Zig, but just a comment to the masses in general.

I get upset by comments like above, as it implies that people only really care and try in fantasy if $$ is on the line. The angle I am coming at is from poverty, which sadly fits me, meaning I don't wager with funds that I can not afford to lose.

It has nothing to do with being opposed to playing for pay, as if you can swing it, go for it. Heck, I had a buddy who wanted to sponsor me in playing in pay leagues this year, but I declined.

So, while I have to give you that, in general, people in pay leagues probably pay more attention to all details, but, it does not mean that all people that play for free are scrubs.

They just might be frugal, or poor, like me.

Soapbox stored,...., for now.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutley NOTHING wrong with having a real and full life Red. It just does tend to get in the way of winning at fantasy baseball, especially when you are in daily change leagues, as knowing and getting info, and getting it faster than your league mates, can make a huge difference, especially in roster management ( players getting hurt, called up, demoted, etc... ).

Lucky for me, I don't have that problem......

Yeah... I do my best to change my players but I work and it's difficult to be able to check the leagues to see when the line-ups come out if someone is actually playing or not. I've screwed myself over for not being to see that quick enough. But I would rather have my real life any day compared to Fantasy anything