• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How do you watch your college football (and other sports)?

How do you get live televised sports in your home?

• Cable

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • Dish/Satelite

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Streaming over the Internet

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Over the air

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Radio (including Sirius/XM)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • SportsHoopla

• Other

• Total voters

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People are cutting the chord on cable television right, left, and center. In our house, for example, the only reason we still have cable is to get a wide variety of live sports.

So how do people get their sports? Maybe there are some strategies people have that will be eye-openers for others.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Satellite TV. They limit our bandwidth here in Alaska so it's pretty much TV or radio.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a typical College football Saturday, we will have two televisions set up in the living room. One will be on the cable, and the other getting an over-the-air HD signal. Additionally, we have computers open to get scoreboard updates and other news as the day goes on.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a typical College football Saturday, we will have two televisions set up in the living room. One will be on the cable, and the other getting an over-the-air HD signal. Additionally, we have computers open to get scoreboard updates and other news as the day goes on.
Now that's hardcore.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nekked on da couch wiff a sammich and a cold beverage.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll end up watching about 6-8 games on a typical Saturday. It's a benefit of living on the West Coast. - we can do that and still get to bed by 2:00 am!
I miss the Fox Sports Northwest channel. They'd play a nighttime PAC game on there and after that they'd play a Hawaii game and those games lasted like way late.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I miss the Fox Sports Northwest channel. They'd play a nighttime PAC game on there and after that they'd play a Hawaii game and those games lasted like way late.
I'm generally up until that Hawaii game ends, even if it is not on TV, because I need the score so I can post my ratings.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Canceled cable a few months ago, so this will be my first year streaming (with sling). Still need to get an antenna for the local channels, and I'll add the sports package that has the Pac 12 network this weekend. Should be set, and actually get a little more than I had with cable. Until sling freezes and lags. Then I'll be pissed...

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN always has a late Pac game now, and the Pac 12 network offers way more than fox sports NW ever did as far as team specific stuff. I hated that channel because Pettros popidocilis always did the UW games.

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get cable in August and cancel after the Super Bowl. I thought about trying PlayStation Vue this year but with the package I'd need to see the games I wanted it wasn't enough of a cost difference for me to switch. In future seasons I'll look harder at options like that though

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have Dish Network. I have the 3rd highest package, and get the sports package. I have access to BTN, SECN, Pac 12N, LHN, all the regional networks, ESPN goal line(or whatever it's called) and the Red Zone channel. Only thing I don't have is ESPN Classic, but that channel really offers no value

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one thing I use streaming for a lot is MLB. It is a great deal (about $130/year for all out-of-market games) since I live outside of the market for my favorite team. My Blu-ray player has an MLB.tv app on it, so it is trivially easy. The one downside is that if I have a Twitter window open, I often get spoiled on what I am watching due to the lag inherent to streaming.

I think a lot of conferences, or other systems (such as LHN) could learn a lot from MLBtv.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still have cable in our house. I just always make sure to have the current cheapest package they are offering that has the fastest WIFI. Pay around 95-100 a month.

Have it down to a science with the cable companies:
Step 1 -- call customer service and tell them a competing company came around offering 'X' package for 'X' amount. Ask them if they can match that.

Step 2 -- when they say they can't but can offer some credits to lower your bill, tell them no thanks, you will be switching companies.

Step 3 -- they will then offer other credits and tell you that is the most they can do. Tell them you appreciate the offer, but no thanks.

Step 4 -- ask to speak to customer retention (they can offer you the real deals) and basically say, I'm being offered 'X,Y,Z' by whatever cable company. If you guys want to beat that offer, I will stay with you. If not, I'm changing cable companies.

15+ years and every time the 'deal' I signed up for ends and the rates go up, I've made them credit me the money back and renewed my contract at less than 100 bux for Cable and WIFI.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
rookie. I have 3 tvs and my tablet ready just in case there is a fourth game I want to see

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still have cable in our house. I just always make sure to have the current cheapest package they are offering that has the fastest WIFI. Pay around 95-100 a month.

Have it down to a science with the cable companies:
Step 1 -- call customer service and tell them a competing company came around offering 'X' package for 'X' amount. Ask them if they can match that.

Step 2 -- when they say they can't but can offer some credits to lower your bill, tell them no thanks, you will be switching companies.

Step 3 -- they will then offer other credits and tell you that is the most they can do. Tell them you appreciate the offer, but no thanks.

Step 4 -- ask to speak to customer retention (they can offer you the real deals) and basically say, I'm being offered 'X,Y,Z' by whatever cable company. If you guys want to beat that offer, I will stay with you. If not, I'm changing cable companies.

15+ years and every time the 'deal' I signed up for ends and the rates go up, I've made them credit me the money back and renewed my contract at less than 100 bux for Cable and WIFI.
I got tired of that game and just decided to actually switch to the only platform that companies are actually up front about pricing, and let you change packages instantly on the fly without hassling with them.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got tired of that game and just decided to actually switch to the only platform that companies are actually up front about pricing, and let you change packages instantly on the fly without hassling with them.

Making those calls don't actually bother me. After being married for 10+ years, I find it enjoyable to actually win an argument. Lord knows it isn't happening with the wife. :lol: