• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How do you guys feel about Hoyer?

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Broncos brought him in, wined and dined him, gave him a physical, probably showed him how awesome three Lombardi Trophies and eight Lamar Hunt Trophies (was it called that back in the 70s?) look in the team facilities, but let him fly out of town without a contract.

Now I know Hoyer doesn't excite anyone, me included. But I can't help but wonder if he'd be a solid option at #2. Unless Siemian beats him outright, that is. But a #2 with some starting experience sounds pretty good. Even if it's Hoyer. Assuming the Broncos make the trade for Kap or keep Sanchez around, I don't think having a vet like Hoyer on the roster is a bad idea.

Please, let's make this a conversation about the player's merits. Comments like "Hoyer sucks" are not value added. We are Broncos fans. (Translation: we're better than that.) The guy doesn't excite me at all. But assume he's coming in to add depth, not to start. Look at his potential as a #2, not the guy we're counting on to lead the offense full time.

Does Hoyer have the skill set to run Kubiak's offense? Can he step in late or in a spot start and hold the fort for a game or two if the #1 goes down?

Your thoughts?

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Call me nuts, but back a few seasons ago when he was with the Browns, I thought Hoyer was going to be the answer there ..

Back on KFFL, I remember betting Draft Crazy that the Browns would finish ahead of the Bengals - unfortunately, the Browns imploded and traded Richardson ( I paid up and sent DC a Hot Wheels car ), but I really liked what Hoyer was showing ..

I didn;t watch the Texans - Chiefs playoff game a few months ago, so I cannot comment on that ..

But to me, Hoyer looks dynamic at times and, given a shot in the right situation, he could be pretty good ..

In all honestly - and this is not sour grapes - I think Hoyer is a lot more exciting and has more potential than Osweiler does ..

Just my opinion .. but I think he's got some really good qualities, and I would actually be sort of excited to see him here

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still like Fitz better. But, I'm not mad that they want to bring in Hoyer. Especially, since we're not talking trade or anything. I think he battles Sanchize for the starter spot and puts less pressure on us to draft "our guy" next week at some point.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we better hope that our defense produces again and that our running game finally takes off. It may be another season or two until our new franchise quarterback emerges.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have not seen him play so I will just have to watch him if he becomes a Bronco ..

I will say this all players struggle at times so it is nuts to judge a bad game .. It is also nuts to judge a player in one Scheme that is not like ours ..Yes coaches can though 300 plays and pick out 20 we run and have some Idea that us fans do not .. So if Elway does this who am I to judge anyways .

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some clips from Hoyer's game vs the Colts last season

Check out Arian Foster at the 3:55 mark

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Lucas I see what you are talking .
I am fine with signing him .

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Takes QB off the needs list in the Draft and I am more than fine with that .

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In fairness, that has to be the worst defensive effort I've ever seen from a team in the Colts. Both tds were ridiculously bad, a Hail Mary and there was literally nobody covering Strong on the second one. That being said Hoyer could be serviceable

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OC I was talking all his other highlights because you are right that game was not that great ..

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The limited amount of stuff I've seen on Hoyer he seems to rely on the chuck and pray method and doesn't the arm strength to back it up.

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoyer has shown some flashes of being a good QB, especially those first few games during the season with the Browns before he blew his knew. I felt that was going to be a good year for that team, but after he went down, so did the rest of the team.

Saw him play some games in Houston, and he's got a good feel in the pocket and can move around pretty well, but he can make some really poor throws sometimes. The playoff game last year aside (worst game of his career), I think he can be a decent QB in this system. That said, if this is how we're going to go into camp with Sanchez, Hoyer, draft pick and maybe another FA, believe it or not, I still like Sanchez to be the starter unless he just completely sucks the big one in camp.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hate it with a passion. It will just show how badly Elway screwed up the Brock situation if Sanchez and Hoyer are fighting it out in TC to be the starting QB for your Denver Broncos.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we better hope that our defense produces again and that our running game finally takes off. It may be another season or two until our new franchise quarterback emerges.

This is becoming my thought process. Strong run and defense and a QB that doesn't make mistakes can still take us pretty far. I am not real thrilled with any current QB option except maybe Kaep.

Hate it with a passion. It will just show how badly Elway screwed up the Brock situation if Sanchez and Hoyer are fighting it out in TC to be the starting QB for your Denver Broncos.

I don't think Elway screwed up the Brock situation. From the reports, the broncos were fighting an uphill battle and I am not sold on a guy that is 6' 7" but gets balls batted like he is 3'7". I think Brock was worth taking a run at but I don't know that he excites me anymore than a Hoyer or Sanchez simply because it was hard to tell what we had in him. And I would rather not commit 17 mil/year to find out.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be fine with this move. He is only expected to cost a team somewhere in the $3-5 million which is still pretty cheap even for a back up QB these days. He is 12-10 in his last 22 starts so he has shown that teams can win with him as the starting QB. He also hasn't had close to the talent around him as what the Broncos have for him to work with.

Remember at this point very little chance the Broncos find themselves a top-10 QB unless maybe Kaepernick comes in and reignites his entire career somehow. So we are looking for the best of what is left and trying to find a guy that can be average and not turn the ball over. Hoyer seems to do decent at being just that a very average QB that can protect the football.

Also I just watched his highlights (I know always be careful with any kind of highlights) and he did do pretty well throwing on the run. The Browns in 2014 especially they had him moving around quite a bit and he did well with it so I think scheme wise he could do well with Kubiak.

Finally remember Kubiak does have a certain ability to get the most out of QB's that work with him. Jake Plummer is a great example in that in AZ he never had a QB rating above 80. With the Broncos until his final year with us where he got benched he never had a QB rating below 84.5 and had 2 years in the 90's. So he can help bring out some of the best in a QB.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sold enough on Hoyer to bring him in. I don't really see him adding much more value than a draftee would, and I think Sanchez has a slightly higher ceiling. The draftee would also have a higher theoretical ceiling.

If we don't get Kaepernick, I'd rather go with Sanchez, Siemian, and one of : Prescott, Cook, Hackenberg (I have my doubts Lynch will be around when we pick).

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think Elway had a hand in benching Brock? (Initially)