• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How did we look?

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My take from what I've seen so far is that Romo will have a career fantasy year (he's gonna have to chunk it from being so far behind a lot), and the Cowboys will be looking at a top 3 or 4 pick. Then jerry will for no explainable reason draft a Big 12 running back.

Not hating. If I had to pick a 2nd favorite team - it would be the Cowboys. Just saying you guys look flat out awful, and you can leave it to jerry to fuck things up from one end to the other.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any word on Brent? We need him to help plug the sieve. The defense was gashed by average running backs. Maybe Vaughn makes it to the practice squad after all. Doug Free cant handle speed or brute power.

I got us taking Randy Gregory or Marcus Mariotta in the 2015 draft. Or a top tackle? Gregory reminds me of D Ware. Mariotta could be our franchise QB. you wont win many games with the defense giving up 500 yards per. It may take more than two drafts to fix the defense. The 2009 and 2012 drafts have killed the roster.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My observations:

1. Our defense is awful. 500 yards given up to the Dolphins. 3 turnovers allowed us to even stay in the game.
2. Free still stinks and can't handle above average pass rushers. Wake ate his lunch.
3. Romo needed this game so he realizes he can't hold the ball too long against good defenses and pass rushes.
4. Dez is in beast mode but Witten looks a step slow.
5. Bailey rules.
6. Our defense is awful. Lucky to have created turnovers.
7. Durant is a liability against the run and the pass. He was gashed and could not get off blocks or cover out of the backfield.
8. Carter probably looked the best out of our defensive starters.
9. Vaughn stinks and showed it is not worth keeping 3 QBs. Practice squad is the best one can hope for him.
10. Bailey is awesome and our special teams unit looked better outside of a bonehead penalty by Crawford.
11. Still and undisciplined team that can's get out of their own way. Bad penalties. Dixon will be cut or left for the practice squad.
12. Did I say that our defense sucks? Melton, Spencer and Claiborne will need to play at a high level for the Cowboys to win more than 4 games this year.

good post. Melton possibly will play at a high level. Clairborne has never played at a high level. Spencer has a bum knee and probably will not play more than 2 games and then have to retire.

The defense has predictably got gashed up the middle. We could have fixed that problem in the draft with our 2nd and 3rd round picks. Guys like Daquan Jones and Caruan Reid were available. Now our 2nd and 3rd round picks are out with a broken foot. Jerrah is a fool for trading up for guys like Claiborne and Lawrence.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody is gonna be in for a rude awakening. Most actually expect it.

I think the key discussion has been will we be worse than last year, not if we will be good. Keep me on the we won't be worse than last year side unless the injuries are as bad as they were last year. We've yet to see our only big FA even step on the field. I read a comment last night that after Selvie's injury our entire projected starting DL wasn't in the game. I am very concerned about how healthy Melton is. If he isn't any good this year we are certainly in trouble.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen the game yet, but how many points did our first team defense give up?

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm gonna say that everyone who has been saying the defense would be better than last year is in for a very rude awakening. When we start going starters vs starters, we are going to get freaking drilled on that side of the ball. We have a great offense, a solid special teams, and one of the worst pro defenses I have ever seen

It's no way this defense has improved the only quality defensive player added is Melton who is coming off of an ACL injury and even still I think he's a lateral move from Hatcher. Maybe one of the defensive rookies will step up. This defense is still going to be in the bottom 1/3 of the league. They're awful against the run and not much better against the pass. I think we will remain one of the most penalized teams in the league to...not good. Funny thing is we still have a chance to win this division. I think 9-7 can win this division. All 4 teams appear to be .500 type team.

Last edited by a moderator:

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any word on Brent? We need him to help plug the sieve. The defense was gashed by average running backs. Maybe Vaughn makes it to the practice squad after all. Doug Free cant handle speed or brute power.

I got us taking Randy Gregory or Marcus Mariotta in the 2015 draft. Or a top tackle? Gregory reminds me of D Ware. Mariotta could be our franchise QB. you wont win many games with the defense giving up 500 yards per. It may take more than two drafts to fix the defense. The 2009 and 2012 drafts have killed the roster.

If we are picking this early which is a good possibility we need to be picking Mariotta are the best Pass Rusher on the board. I like Hunley out of UCLA as well. If we are getting any of these guys we like only win 4 games :bawling:.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen the game yet, but how many points did our first team defense give up?

In saying 3 though- I still wouldnt watch the game. Seriously- Knowshown Moreno looked like AP and the Dolphins Oline looked like the 90s Cowboys

Andresrenee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Posts like these make me sick to my stomach. For starters, creating turnovers is part of defense. They forced three. That is not awful defense. And they only gave up 3 points at half. That is not awful defense. Nobody gives a fuck about yards given up if the D is forcing turnovers and keeping the other team from scoring a lot of points. Harris also had a good game tonight and showed how he has the ability to change the game with the blink of an eye with his great return game. That is why they won 8 games last year. The Cowboys have a good offense, a great special teams with Harris healthy, and a below average defense that can force turnovers. That is more than 4 wins. That is 7-9 wins and with a lot of luck, 10 wins.
Hope you are right. This was the Dolphins and not an above average offense that gashed us. The Dolphins have 5 new starters on the offensive line and are missing their best offensive lineman. Yes..creating turnovers is part of a good defense but giving up 500 yards to a mediocre offense is concerning as hell. Our great offense did not look so great either.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohh my god, talking draft before the season starts?:L This board is going to shit.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope you are right. This was the Dolphins and not an above average offense that gashed us. The Dolphins have 5 new starters on the offensive line and are missing their best offensive lineman. Yes..creating turnovers is part of a good defense but giving up 500 yards to a mediocre offense is concerning as hell. Our great offense did not look so great either.

As much as Im on the other side about talking about our defense , Im 100 percent with you on our offense. First off, our defense has looked really really bad, but Im not ready to give up on them. I just think we are missing some key guys right now- Melton, Claiborne should start week 1. Lawrence, Spencer Scandrick- week 4 to 6- hopefully. Not to mention the McClains. Thats a lot of ????? , I know and truthfully the outlook does look grim for that side of the ball.

Offensively- we keep talking top 5 . We consistently kill ourselves with drops, penalties , sacks, negative runs, turnovers. Its like we are always playing behind the chains. The top offenses do not do that. The GBs, Denvers, NOs, Pats never seem to kill themselves and maybe thats because of the QB, but other factors play in as well. Its always IF with this team, like the first drive- If Beasley doesnt drop that pass, the second drive- If Romo doesnt get sacked, the third drive - If Tyron doesnt get that penalty. It just always seems we have to overcome something and it is never CLEAN.

Andresrenee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
As much as Im on the other side about talking about our defense , Im 100 percent with you on our offense. First off, our defense has looked really really bad, but Im not ready to give up on them. I just think we are missing some key guys right now- Melton, Claiborne should start week 1. Lawrence, Spencer Scandrick- week 4 to 6- hopefully. Not to mention the McClains. Thats a lot of ????? , I know and truthfully the outlook does look grim for that side of the ball.

Offensively- we keep talking top 5 . We consistently kill ourselves with drops, penalties , sacks, negative runs, turnovers. Its like we are always playing behind the chains. The top offenses do not do that. The GBs, Denvers, NOs, Pats never seem to kill themselves and maybe thats because of the QB, but other factors play in as well. Its always IF with this team, like the first drive- If Beasley doesnt drop that pass, the second drive- If Romo doesnt get sacked, the third drive - If Tyron doesnt get that penalty. It just always seems we have to overcome something and it is never CLEAN.
I think we both see eye to eye on our current ream. We won't have the full arsenal on defense still week 5 or 6 so who knows what happens there and how they play and if they will improve. Will have to wait and see. We do need the offense to be elite so we can be in a decent position for week 5.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's no way this defense has improved the only quality defensive player added is Melton who is coming off of an ACL injury and even still I think he's a lateral move from Hatcher. Maybe one of the defensive rookies will step up. This defense is still going to be in the bottom 1/3 of the league. They're awful against the run and not much better against the pass. I think we will remain one of the most penalized teams in the league to...not good. Funny thing is we still have a chance to win this division. I think 9-7 can win this division. All 4 teams appear to be .500 type team.

I think pretty much everyone expects bottom 3rd and do agree that bottom 3rd could win us the division. Absolute ceiling with everything going our way this year is NFL average and that would take Spencer, Lawrence or both being a force alongside Melton and all DBs to play well. S that's not very likely. But when all is said and done we are pretty certain to be somewhere in the bottom 3rd. Hopefully we won't be the absolute last or worse than last year like some seem to say daily...

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
S that's not very likely.

Wilcox and Church have been a bright spot IMO.

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here's the thing, our offense is not great. It is just good. Romo is not an elite quarterback, Murray is not an elite back. The only thing that resembles elite on our offense is Dez Bryant and Tyron Smith, and even they at times can look just "good." Until we have an elite quarterback, until we have an elite running back, until we have a more trustworthy offensive line, until boneheaded penalties are cut to a minimum, or until we get a coaching staff that is committed to running the football, then you should temper your expectations about the offense.

As far as the defense, giving up 500 yards is not a good thing, but forcing three turnovers is. Not to mention the first team D only giving up 3 at half. For a group that lacks a lot of talent, what they did last night (as far as first-team defense goes), isn't that bad at all.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling we will be picking up a lot of defensive guys that get cut by other teams before week 1. Pats cut three today that will likely get calls from us. Will Allen, Tommy Kelly, and James ANderson. I'd put money down that Anderson comes here based on our d-coaches.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling we will be picking up a lot of defensive guys that get cut by other teams before week 1. Pats cut three today that will likely get calls from us. Will Allen, Tommy Kelly, and James ANderson. I'd put money down that Anderson comes here based on our d-coaches.

Sadly.....all three would have a chance to start here:L

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please jettison BBWebb and keep Patmon. Patmon looks instinctive enough to also play safety. Those picks he had were impressive, especially the pick six.