• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Houston "you have a problem", the Texas Rangers 9/14-17

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So few months ago we had a lot of doubts about Jeff Banister. He did things I didn't like, but I wanted to wait him out and see what he was made of.

Anyone missing Bogar now?
I have had the same approach as you on Banister. I don't miss Bogar but I also did not have a problem with him. One area I think that Banister has improved is when to make pitching changes before it's out of hand.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TEXAS AT HOUSTON

Time: 08:10 P.M. ESTVenue: Minute Maid Park

The Texas Rangers have won seven straight over the second-place Houston Astros and can take a major step toward their first AL West title in four years this weekend.

They may have the right person on the mound to start this three-game series.

Yovani Gallardo has beaten the Astros more than any other club and will get the ball Friday night in Houston.

Texas (83-69) has a magic number of seven to capture the West after sweeping three games in Oakland to start this six-game trip following Thursday's 8-1 victory. The Rangers have won nine of 11, including a four-game home sweep of the Astros from Sept. 14-17.

''They've got some great energy right now, superior focus and they're on a mission,'' manager Jeff Banister said. ''Each one of them knows where we want to go. We're not there yet so they maintain that focus.''

Texas trailed by eight games in the West race Aug. 2. Now Houston (80-73) may be better served by focusing on holding off Minnesota and Los Angeles for the second wild card.

The Astros are losers of seven of 10 after Wednesday's 6-5 defeat to the Angels.

''We're right in the thick of this,'' manager A.J. Hinch said. ''We're in the thick of the division; we're in the thick of the wild card with our sights set on a really big series against Texas.

''I downplay everything for five months, five-and-a-half months to get to this series. There's no downplaying it. I'm not going to sit in front of you and say it's not an important series.''

Gallardo (12-11, 3.41 ERA) is tied with Philadelphia's Aaron Harang for the most wins against the Astros among active pitchers, going 15-4 with a 3.09 ERA. He is 2-1 with a 6.14 ERA in three 2015 matchups.

"I know these next three games are going to be very important," Gallardo told MLB's official website. "For me, I have done it before, but you still have to make pitches no matter what the situation. It will be more exciting, that's for sure, than other games."

Houston has some lefty-swinging hitters who have fared well against the right-hander in Jason Castro (.350), Luis Valbuena (.321) and Colby Rasmus (.318).

Gallardo has failed to get out of the sixth inning in five consecutive starts, allowing three runs in five-plus innings in Friday's 3-1 home defeat to Seattle.

His mound opponent, Scott Kazmir (7-10, 2.73), turned in his shortest start with the Astros by allowing three runs in 3 2-3 innings in Saturday's 10-6 win over the Athletics. Kazmir is 0-2 with a 4.50 ERA in his last five starts.

The left-hander is 2-1 with a 1.60 ERA in five starts this year versus the Rangers. Prince Fielder, Shin-soo Choo, Delino DeShields and Adrian Beltre are a combined 5 for 39 against him in 2015.

DeShields is 7 for 14 with six RBIs in his last four games. Beltre was 6 for 14 with eight RBIs in the Oakland series.

"The main thing is not putting pressure on ourselves," DeShields said. "It's really ours to lose."

The Astros' Carlos Gomez has missed the last 11 games with an intercostal strain and is unlikely to play this weekend.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have had the same approach as you on Banister. I don't miss Bogar but I also did not have a problem with him. One area I think that Banister has improved is when to make pitching changes before it's out of hand.

Just don't throw Tanner in there in any game that we don't have a 15 run lead.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So few months ago we had a lot of doubts about Jeff Banister. He did things I didn't like, but I wanted to wait him out and see what he was made of.

Could say the same thing about magadan. Look at the turn around in Choo, Elvis, and odor. Look what Napoli has done since coming here.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was definitely in my thoughts when I was making that post.
At this point in our chase for the division title I can't think of one reason to use Tanner period. He has been given every opportunity to succeed and failed on every front. The BP is in good shape and Tanner should not be a part of it. Cast him to the wind.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hard to say how Bogar would have done, but they did well with him last year. I haven't had any problem with Banister though for the same reason you mentioned. I wanted to give him time. I think with a better pen and a better LF that Banister will look even better next year.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point in our chase for the division title I can't think of one reason to use Tanner period. He has been given every opportunity to succeed and failed on every front. The BP is in good shape and Tanner should not be a part of it. Cast him to the wind.
Send him to Detroit.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The BP is in good shape and Tanner should not be a part of it. Cast him to the wind.

If the PO started tomorrow, would you have............... Gallardo/Hamels/Holland/Lewis/Perez/Diekman/Dyson/Kela/Freeman/Tolleson/Gonzalez? That's 11 pitchers.

Do you go with a 12th in the form of Jackson/Bass/Ohlendorf/Faulkner? You pick.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the PO started tomorrow, would you have............... Gallardo/Hamels/Holland/Lewis/Perez/Diekman/Dyson/Kela/Freeman/Tolleson/Gonzalez? That's 11 pitchers.

Faulkner. He's really been proving himself and he gives us another LOOGY option.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They would probably go with the more experienced Martinez.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could say the same thing about magadan. Look at the turn around in Choo, Elvis, and odor. Look what Napoli has done since coming here.
Judging the whole body of work I would say Magadan could certainly be improved upon. The hitters have done well lately, but even this year we have had some hitters go through some very bad prolonged streaks.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So me personally never had an issue with Banny once he was brought on tho I do admit that it was a little concerning that we let Bogar go since he seemed to have been a good fit and good dude as well from all the interviews I saw from him.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perez may be another LHP a to of the pen come playoffs despite Gallardo not able to go deep into games. Hope Perez finds his game soon

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perez may be another LHP a to of the pen come playoffs despite Gallardo not able to go deep into games. Hope Perez finds his game soon

In the playoffs we can afford to have Gallardo give us 5 innings of one run ball.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the playoffs we can afford to have Gallardo give us 5 innings of one run ball.

I agree and Gallardo likely matches up better with Jays lineup if that holds up