• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Houston Astros Ongoing Thread

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it seems as if the Astros future is coming, and faster than I would have guessed.

Mark Appel signed quickly with Houston for nearly $1.5 million less than the recommended slot bonus for the No. 1 overall pick and now the Astros are making plans for his professional debut.
Appel hasn’t done any throwing since being drafted, but Brian Smith of the Houston Chronicle reports that he’s set to begin a throwing program after meeting with the Astros’ brass at their spring training complex in Florida.
Next on the agenda will be some simulated game action, followed by joining a rookie-ball team, with Appel’s minor-league debut likely taking place in early July.

Rhino

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it is easy to bash a team that can not win a game. It is even easier to give them nick names like the Lastros. But, I for one am excited at the direction of the team. Crane bought a team that was in the worst possible shape it could be in. A team with NO minor league farm system. One with and over the hill core. (Oswalt, Berkman and Lee) There was no option but to blow the team up and get what they can for the trash they had. Luhnow traded 9 players and got 24 in return. Considering what they traded off they got huge returns. A minor league system that was ranked almost dead last is now ranked in the top 5.

Even though we have to watch some horrible baseball this year and most likely next year, we are on the right track for sure. If Astros fans need a light at the end of the tunnel then they should just take a look at the Cardinals. That is a team that was mainly built by Luhnow. Our time is coming.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it is easy to bash a team that can not win a game. It is even easier to give them nick names like the Lastros. But, I for one am excited at the direction of the team. Crane bought a team that was in the worst possible shape it could be in. A team with NO minor league farm system. One with and over the hill core. (Oswalt, Berkman and Lee) There was no option but to blow the team up and get what they can for the trash they had. Luhnow traded 9 players and got 24 in return. Considering what they traded off they got huge returns. A minor league system that was ranked almost dead last is now ranked in the top 5.

Even though we have to watch some horrible baseball this year and most likely next year, we are on the right track for sure. If Astros fans need a light at the end of the tunnel then they should just take a look at the Cardinals. That is a team that was mainly built by Luhnow. Our time is coming.

Springer and Singleton are right around the corner too

Now if only some of their pitchers would take that next step

Rhino

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Springer and Singleton are right around the corner too

Now if only some of their pitchers would take that next step

We are going to find out tonight what Cosart has tonight vs. the Rays.

The Astros actually have a decent set of pitchers coming up.

1. Jarred Cosart - Already been called up but is the Astros top pitching prospect.
2. Michael Foltynewicz - At AA Corpus. Sporting a nice 2.33 in 14 games (8 starts)
3. Mark Appel - Who is only 2 games into is professional career but the ceiling is supposed to be high on him.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good news 'Stros. You got yourself a new Hoe. L.J Hoes that is. Looks like he will be starting tonight as well.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best play by an Astro player yet this year.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is something that you see, pretty much,.........., never.

ARLINGTON -- Jake Elmore wasn't in the starting lineup for the Astros, but he received plenty of work in the 16-5 loss on Monday night at Rangers Ballpark.
The infielder replaced Carlos Corporan as the catcher in the fourth, then pitched for Houston in the eighth. It was the 14th time in Major League history that a player appeared as a catcher and a pitcher in the same game. Jeff Mathis was the last to accomplish the feat with the Blue Jays on July 25, 2012, against the A's.
"Elmore should probably be in the icetub, icing every part of his body," Astros manager Bo Porter said.
Elmore retired the Rangers in order on 11 pitches, inducing two groundouts by Jurickson Profar and David Murphy, who pitched a scoreless inning in his Major League debut on June 4 against the Red Sox.
"He stayed below hitting speed and had fun," Murphy said. "He had more sink than me. He had more sink on his fastball."
"I don't know if you call it a fastball," Elmore said. "I was just throwing a little two-seamer and trying to keep it down in the zone to get ground balls."
The Astros informed Elmore that he would possibly pitch to help save the bullpen in a game where the Rangers scored 11 runs in the third. He made four pitching appearances in the Minor Leagues, the last in 2011 with Double-A Mobile.
Elmore just wasn't expecting to catch. Houston lifted Carlos Corporan from the game with a possible concussion after he was hit in the head by a foul ball in the third inning.
Elmore, who went 1-for-2 with a single and run scored in the Astros' four-run seventh, said he was recruited out of high school to be a catcher, and he has also caught two bullpen sessions during his time with the Astros.
"I told them I could catch two weeks ago, so maybe if the game was out of hand, why not see if I actually can catch," Elmore said. "Hopefully, I did all right."
Elmore didn't have to worry about the Rangers stealing bases with a comfortable lead and managed to get four innings of work behind the plate before he pitched the eighth. Designated hitter Jason Castro moved behind the plate.
"It was impressive for a guy like that to do all that," starting pitcher Lucas Harrell said. "Not many people have done all that, and it saves the bullpen. What he did was huge. Having a guy like that on your team, you always need a guy like that. For him to do that, it was very special."
"I think when any player plays out of position, it's always fun to watch and see what happens," Elmore said. "I'm glad I didn't embarrass myself."

axman15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys really took it to us this weekend. Not happy with the way it turned out, but I was impressed with your pitcher today.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And, it was pretty much the same today. I got from a Astros beat writer twitter feed that there were only 1,000 people at the game today, maybe 1,200.

And, with the 2 teams playing, there should have been deep discounts on tickets, so.........?

Maybe Josh Hamilton was onto something about Texas not being a baseball place?

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not just going to the games that is at issue it appears. Nobody wants to watch hem on T.V either.

The Houston Astros pulled in a record-low television audience for their series opener against the Angels on Saturday, grabbing a Nielsen rating that suggests only a thousand people tuned in to the game, reports Dave Barron of the Houston Chronicle.

The Nielsen rating -- 0.04 -- represents an average of roughly 915 households or about 1,000 viewers, which is 567 times fewer viewers than tuned in for the Texans-Titans game the next day. Saturday's dismal TV audience is actually only slightly worse than the club's previous low, which was a 0.05 rating for their Sept. 9, 2012 game against the Reds.
While it's easy to point the finger at Houston's performance this year (and the full slate of college football games) as the primary reason behind the lack of audience, there's plenty more at play.
The Astros (and NBA's Rockets) entered a lucrative new TV deal with CSN Houston this season -- switching over from Fox Sports -- but so far are broadcasting games to just 40 percent of the estimated 2.2 million people in the local market, per the Houston Chronicle. Several carriers, including AT&T, DirecTV, Dish Network, and Time Warner Cable, are not carrying the network because of disputes over the carriage fees with channel's owners -- one of whom is the Astros. As one can imagine, this has made it difficult for fans to watch the team.
Houston pulled a slightly larger audience for it's Sunday match-up with the Halos, coming in with a 0.1 rating.

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston can win this division, they've got the pitching.

Blitzville

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice to see the Astros being run by a very smart baseball guy for once. I would love to see them make a big run in the playoffs and get some very valuable experience for their young players.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow! How come you guys don't have a game thread for the playoffs? Great players on this team and fantastic season. Go 100 mph Ken Giles!

BendysInkSquad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
World Series Champs and last October was last post???? Cmon!! If the bullpen can get right we can go back to back!!