• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

House cleaned

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were they fired at the same time? It seemed like based on when the news hit that Pace was fired a day later after Nagy? If true, did they keep Pace around another day just so Pace could do the dirty work of telling Nagy he was fired?
Not sure. I just heard the actual news around 11 where they said both Pace and Nagy. But somebody had to be in the building to sign 11 players to futures contracts???

Yes, same as 2015, McCaskey saying that ownership put him in his position, when he is ownership, and said ownership waving the surrender flag again because they do not have a football guy in the building, so they have to pay a consultant to make the decision.
The consultant has no clue regarding the problems in the building or the ability for someone new to start building on a crumbling foundation again.
As far as my guess, with Ryan Pace and Matt Nagy, I am thinking it comes down to two guys who have the most letters in their names. That should do it.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was ok with firing or keeping Pace. I believe HC was the biggest problem. Pace was hit and miss but who is not at GM. I just want a coach that can adjust to the talent and not try to put round pegs in square holes like Nagy. We could have been a solid run first team with a winning record the last few years.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

According to the MSN story link, Ted Phillips appears to have the same title. However, once the new GM is hired, "the new GM will report directly to [McCaskey]. Not Ted Phillips. And once the new GM is hired, he will have full control over all football ops."

So other than the being involved in the new hiring process itself, it appears Ted will no longer make football decisions.
I do not understand how George can keep Teddy in the loop when it comes to picking the GM or for that matter the HC. If you're going to fire Pace after firing the last 3 other GM's Teddy has picked, then how in the hell do you trust him to be anywhere near the next GM pick or for that matter HC pick as we do not know which will come first, the chicken or the egg.

Teddy may be great at number crunching or overseeing construction or overseeing day to day operations around Halas Hall, but picking GM's, he has absolutely sucked.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure thats why they brought in Polian as a consultant. Because of Ted's stellar record of picking GM's.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure thats why they brought in Polian as a consultant. Because of Ted's stellar record of picking GM's.

It's actually a league initiative available to all teams. There's a panel of retired executives that are available to consult teams every offseason. Last time the Bears dipped into it they got Accorsi. This time they got Polian.

Teddy may be great at number crunching or overseeing construction or overseeing day to day operations around Halas Hall, but picking GM's, he has absolutely sucked.

I'm sure he a great accountant and business guy. But he's not a football guy. He makes money for the family and that's cool but we shouldn't see his face when actual football is what is being discussed.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
right, it was Ernie last time, no big deal, just a safety net for the suits so there is someone to blame.
I was ok with firing or keeping Pace. I believe HC was the biggest problem. Pace was hit and miss but who is not at GM. I just want a coach that can adjust to the talent and not try to put round pegs in square holes like Nagy. We could have been a solid run first team with a winning record the last few years.

I would have been OK keeping both of them, seriously, if a President of Football Operations who knows football was hired and he agreed to keep them. Give that guy a chance to see what is going on in the building and either fix it or stop it.
First problem is these participation ribbon captains.
You earn being a captain, you lead the entire season, game day, weight room, every aspect. Monty, Mack and Roquan were those guys, maybe Hicks would have had a different type of year. This system is a bunch of guys who do not want to step on toes or interfere when its someone elses "turn".
You think of great captains like Olin and Singletary, live, breathe and bleed football.
Now, would a guy want to come in like that? I dont know, but now we get new guys who really do not know what the problems in the building were and sweep the past under the rug instead of trying to fix it.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
right, it was Ernie last time, no big deal, just a safety net for the suits so there is someone to blame.
Word on the street is that Polian's opinions carry more weight than Accorsi's.
Not that it means anything, but Polian has won a Super Bowl, been named NFL executive of the year 6 times, and has been inducted in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Accorsi has not done any of this.
The asterisk to Accorsi's career highlight though came after the Giants let him go, when Eli Manning, the player he traded for and team he helped assemble eventually won 2 Super Bowls.
Most notably, Polian was involved in the Colts' build starting with Manning and Tony Dungy.

Actually, the more I hear about Brian Flores, imho he seems to be the type of coach the Bears need.
A lot of coaches can take gifted and elite players and get them to win.
But what a coach does with a motley crew of average, aging or green players speaks volumes. i.e. Flores in Miami.
To me, that is true coaching - getting the best out of the players you have.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, that is true coaching - getting the best out of the players you have.
I have been around enough to say multiple times I hated what Fangio did here his first year because there was no option for him to get the best out of the players they had. Refined round pegs getting forced into square holes, or vice versa. I was sick of hearing "the guy that can fit in Nagys system".

There are what 30 players under contract for next season, its pretty simple, how do you see utilizing the players we have.

I would love for us to get the next Mike Tomlin, but nobody was looking for the next Mike Tomlin when he was hired.

Saddest news I have heard is they are interviewing another assistant to the assistant to Mickey Loomis from New orleans for GM again. This is why a president of football operations would be the first hire, then decide, am I getting a GM or am I getting a coach who wants full roster control, because those are two different sets of guys that usually will not get along.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@justanidiot I hear ya, man. And the way the Bears are going about replacing Pace & Nagy with simultaneous interviews has been the fodder for sports-talk radio criticism too. As fans, we can only hope that somehow it works out.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some Nagy fallout stories happening implying he destroyed Mitch. Noon has a huge pepe right now.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some Nagy fallout stories happening implying he destroyed Mitch. Noon has a huge pepe right now.

Lol....no one destroyed Mitch,hes a never was......he is what he is,a backup.....

Coaching destroys no one.....either you have the talent to play in the NFL or you dont........
Theres a huge huge difgerence between the two.....apparantly some dont get it.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol....no one destroyed Mitch,hes a never was......he is what he is,a backup.....

Coaching destroys no one.....either you have the talent to play in the NFL or you dont........
Loved the way Mitch handled the last minute or so of the Bills blowout over the Pats. The way he took that knee to run out the clock was sheer artistry.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to square one...........for the umpteenth time.
See the source image

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is bullshit.

I guess that means Justin Fields is a bust? I mean, he looked worse than Mitch out there most of the time.

I guess there is no room for him to improve? No point in even having coaches, eh?

If coaches can IMPROVE a player, they can certainly set one back as well.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is bullshit.

I guess that means Justin Fields is a bust? I mean, he looked worse than Mitch out there most of the time.

I guess there is no room for him to improve? No point in even having coaches, eh?

Lol......why would you compare Fields to Trubisky......?....I mean MT had 3 full years of playing time to prove himself,Justin has had how many games with a horrific oline to protect him and just average at best wrs.....No way can you call JF a bust....(yet)

MT is in his best element in being a backup.....And thats all he ever will be from here on out.....If there was any hope for him,dont you think another team would have snagged him up to be a starter.....?

The great Belicek is a great example,before Brady,he was not all it,after Brady,ta still the same......

Phil Jackson,without that 90s Bulls team that he inherited and the Lakers team he inherited,wheres he at now.....?
Jimmy Johnson,gets the Cowboys trades Walker for how many picks ?,hell you and I could draft a winning team with that many picks......Goes to the Dolphins,what happens,no more huge trades,no more magic,no more SBs....
Bruce Arians could not win in the playoffs til they sign Brady......
Mike Ditka,hes laughable,after Payton retires,Ryan leaves somewhere else and still HOFers playing on def,he could not win in Chicago or New Orleans......he even made the 2nd dumbest trade in the history of the NFL......He made a mockery of that team,where did it take him,into broadcadting an NFL show....
Buddy Ryan and his supposedly great mind for defense still couldnt win in Philadelphia.......
And not one single coach made any of the players they had into stars,their own talent did......

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is bullshit.

My lord. do you say anything not completely dumb? Who in the world thinks Fields is a bust already?