• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Hot 'Stros to cool their heels in Arlington 6/6 to 6/9

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Typical Rooster. Why is this guy such a wimp? The Astros won today because we fought with one hand tied behind our back. Fielder and Moreland should never be in the lineup together.... EVER. Hoying should not get as much playing time as he does, in my eyes he has not earned it. We had a division rival on the ropes, in our park for another 2 days, and rooster trots out that line up? This isn't little league Rooster, everyone doesn't get a turn. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the series ends in a split now.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoying hasn't shown anything...I will take Rua vs a RHP over Hoying vs any pitcher.
I agree with you and Murph. Hoying even if he gets a hit it is never with solid contact. He is using the same wet noodle that Hanser used. That is too much like Wash to use a crappy LH hitter just because a RHer is pitching. A righty vs righty is not as significant and lefty vs lefty.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they're going to call up Gallo, they need to play him and not let him sit on the bench like the did last time he was called up.
And I would have no problem with him playing. There is no way he would be less productive than what Moreland and Fielder have been doing.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I would have no problem with him playing. There is no way he would be less productive than what Moreland and Fielder have been doing.

I know it is terrible, but I was kinda hoping that Prince was coming out not just for speed but because he had a "few days off" nagging injury. But then Beltre came off too and that scares me.

I agree with others that I'd love to see Gallo come up and go ahead and roll an IF of Gallo/Elvis/Odor/Profar. THat's our future, so lets just get to it already. I know that Mitch still has a month in him where he will give everyone hope, but we can't wait for that to happen. Going opposite with power is a good sign for him, but cant trust him.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Typical Rooster. Why is this guy such a wimp? The Astros won today because we fought with one hand tied behind our back. Fielder and Moreland should never be in the lineup together.... EVER. Hoying should not get as much playing time as he does, in my eyes he has not earned it. We had a division rival on the ropes, in our park for another 2 days, and rooster trots out that line up? This isn't little league Rooster, everyone doesn't get a turn. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the series ends in a split now.

Hoying was doing well in AAA and sometimes as the Rangers and other teams experience that does not equate to tearing it up at the Major League level. The question is, is Hoying a better at LF than Joey Gallo? If not, why isn't Joey up now.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they're going to call up Gallo, they need to play him and not let him sit on the bench like the did last time he was called up.

only if Beltre goes on the DL would i call up Gallo.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Josh Hamilton’s Knee Injury More Serious Than Initially Believed

By Steve Adams | June 8, 2016 at 8:37pm CDT

Earlier today, Rangers outfielder Josh Hamilton underwent the season-ending knee surgery that the team had previously announced, but as Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram writes, he required not only a repair of his left meniscus (which was previously known) but a reconstruction of the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee as well. Per Wilson, the surgeon who performed the surgery, Dr. Walt Lowe, had cautioned the team that an ACL repair might be necessary last month. He wasn’t certain, however, until seeing the extent of the damage to the ACL first-hand during today’s operation.

Hamilton was already known to be out for the season, but Wilson speculates that the new injury could not only end Hamilton’s time with the Rangers, but could ultimately spell the end of his career. The Rangers have a number of outfield options on the books for next season — Shin-Soo Choo, Delino DeShields, Nomar Mazara and, potentially, Joey Gallo and Lewis Brinson — and the team is only on the hook for $2MM of the $30MM that Hamilton will receive in the final season of his five-year, $125MM pact. (The Angels, who initially signed Hamilton to that deal, will pay the remainder.) As such, it’s possible that the Rangers could simply elect to release Hamilton and let younger alternatives receive the bulk of the time in the outfield next year, according to Wilson. Then again, GM Jon Daniels did voice back in May that the team was committed to Hamilton for the 2017 season.

There’s a chance that Hamilton could be ready for Spring Training next season, but the 35-year-old’s ability to recover from such a massive knee operation at this stage of his career remains to be seen. If he is indeed ready for the spring, however, it’s hardly inconceivable that he could latch on with a new club on a minor league pact.

Hamilton’s best years as a Major Leaguer came with the Rangers, highlighted by his 2010 AL MVP honors, and he returned to the club after a dramatic split with the Angels. Hamilton made an immediate impact with the Rangers in returning to Globe Life Park last season, doubling in a two-hit game in his first home game with Texas and then homering twice in his second game back in Arlington. However, his ultimate contributions to the 2015 Rangers were more modest, as he batted .253/.291/.441 with eight home runs in 182 trips to the plate before hamstring and knee injuries brought his season to an early end.

The Rangers have managed to thrive in spite of the loss of Hamilton, nearly a full season-to-date without Choo and significant regression from DeShields thanks largely to the emergence of Mazara (a strong Rookie of the Year candidate) and the the brilliant play of shortstop-turned-outfielder Ian Desmond. If Choo isn’t able to return to health and/or DeShields continues to struggle, the Rangers could eventually turn to Gallo and Brinson, though the latter has struggled in Double-A in 2016. Gallo isn’t a natural outfielder, but with the Rangers having extended Adrian Beltre for another two seasons, it seems all but certain that he’ll be required to move off of his natural position, third base, if he is to factor into the Rangers’ long-term plans.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • Adrian Beltre was pulled from the Rangers game tonight in the seventh inning after grabbing his left hamstring while attempting to run out a ground-ball. Per Gerry Fraley of the Dallas Morning News (Twitter link), the initial word is that he was lifted with tightness in his hamstring — the same hamstring that cost him 37 games of the 2015 campaign. Beltre will be evaluated tomorrow, and it’s unlikely there will be any definitive word on his status until then. If he’s required to miss a notable period of time, the Rangers have a third base option waiting in the wings at Triple-A in the form of Joey Gallo. Alternatively, Jurickson Profar could see some time at the hot corner as well.
  • The news for Rangers fans doesn’t necessarily improve, as Yu Darvish also departed the game prematurely due to what was termed tightness in his right shoulder. Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram writes that Darvish’s removal after just 76 pitches — he’d been a pitch limit of 95 — was a precaution, and an exam from team physician Dr. Keith Meister revealed no immediately apparent issues. There’s no word that Darvish, who only just returned from 2015 Tommy John surgery, will miss a start, but I’d imagine the Rangers will be cautious when dealing with any right arm troubles for their freshly mended ace.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
only if Beltre goes on the DL would i call up Gallo.
Agree. Jury still out on Beltre. Things are still unsettled till Choo returns. At that time Hoying is sure to go back down. Rua can DH and play first keeping MM/PF out of action. IDK just assuming and you know what that will get ya.lol

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how he can justify it.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers should ask Prince for a refund. They are definitely not getting what they paid for.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FRALEY IS THE WORST

He is. You would think a sports writer would know a pitcher coming off TJ will have limits. Last night was the first time Yu had to work out of multiple stressful innings. I was surprised he made it to 76 pitches. If anything Fraley is short sighted. I think there would be a place for his criticism if we were at where we were last year (8 or 9 games back) and trying to gain on the 1st place Astros. However, the roles are reversed. We had a
  • Adrian Beltre was pulled from the Rangers game tonight in the seventh inning after grabbing his left hamstring while attempting to run out a ground-ball. Per Gerry Fraley of the Dallas Morning News (Twitter link), the initial word is that he was lifted with tightness in his hamstring — the same hamstring that cost him 37 games of the 2015 campaign. Beltre will be evaluated tomorrow, and it’s unlikely there will be any definitive word on his status until then. If he’s required to miss a notable period of time, the Rangers have a third base option waiting in the wings at Triple-A in the form of Joey Gallo. Alternatively, Jurickson Profar could see some time at the hot corner as well.
  • The news for Rangers fans doesn’t necessarily improve, as Yu Darvish also departed the game prematurely due to what was termed tightness in his right shoulder. Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram writes that Darvish’s removal after just 76 pitches — he’d been a pitch limit of 95 — was a precaution, and an exam from team physician Dr. Keith Meister revealed no immediately apparent issues. There’s no word that Darvish, who only just returned from 2015 Tommy John surgery, will miss a start, but I’d imagine the Rangers will be cautious when dealing with any right arm troubles for their freshly mended ace.

If we want max Yu potential, Banister might consider a 6 man rotation for a few weeks. No days off for a clip may not be a bad idea. However, that requires some BP and bench juggling.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Banny sure is bound and determined to play him. I wish they would put him on the DL and send him home.
My bad about Elvis. Tried to correct but too late. Even us great ones screw up at times.:lol: