• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Horrid Halos Head to Hollandless Texas

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Murphy Donaldson Justin where you guys hiding?

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that Choice. (pick)

Yeah, it was my bad attempt at a funny, at Michael's expense! Seriously, I hope Choice comes around one day, but I don't see him here unless multiple injuries happen and he gets real hot and improves a lot

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Murphy Donaldson Justin where you guys hiding?

I was checking in temporarily on gameday from the gym, and then when we got the lead, I didnt want to jinx it so I was just peeking in here from time to time so not to spoil anything for you guys

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there were a couple of other guys in that trade.
There were a few, but the main pieces were those two. We basically traded Gonzalez for Kapler, Cat, Cordero, Hasselman and Webb. We also traded a very promising, at the time, Danny Patterson and Gregg Zaun. It was lopsided and really made Melvin look bad. Had Justin Thompson been healthy it would have been much closer to even. Melvin should have been able to get 2 very good players for a 2 time MVP.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There were a few, but the main pieces were those two. We basically traded Gonzalez for Kapler, Cat, Cordero, Hasselman and Webb. We also traded a very promising, at the time, Danny Patterson and Gregg Zaun. It was lopsided and really made Melvin look bad. Had Justin Thompson been healthy it would have been much closer to even. Melvin should have been able to get 2 very good players for a 2 time MVP.

No doubt you are right. In multiplayer deals I bet it never works out as planned despite due diligence.

What I was mainly speaking to is that for this crazy Choo for Hamilton plus money deal we concocted that LAA. Earlier I was wrong when I said Hamilton couldn't be traded while on the DL. A player can be traded while on the DL. All of which isn't going to happen but was an academic exercise.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
let's just hope Choo gets himself righted. Even though he was a complete knucklehead to try and stretch that single into a double at least he was able to run at what looked like full speed so maybe he is getting healthy.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Find it odd that Hoying would have 4 triples. Not a player I think of as a triples hitter.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Martinez ended up throwing 62 strikes to 37 balls which is really amazing when you consider how tough a time Martinez was having with his control early on.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Martinez ended up throwing 62 strikes to 37 balls which is really amazing when you consider how tough a time Martinez was having with his control early on.

Pretty gutty performance. Those first 2 innings looked bleak. Then he really settled in.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

“Leonys is going to be our lead-off hitter,” Banister said. “That structure has been a little inconsistent. More than anything else, I wanted to give it a different look. There are times when you give the lineup a different look.”

We will get used to Banister's language and what he means. I think he views the lineup as a structure, a machine not just nine individual players in a row. By saying the structure has been inconsistent guess he's talking the whole machine rather than a failing of one particular individual.

Maybe Martin will be the prevalent lead-off hitter but clearly Banister is open to tinkering and finding ways to take advantage of a player who is seeing the ball well and taking good ABs and making the machine work more effectively. It was great seeing Odor as lead-off last night. Drawing a lead-off walk and stealing 2nd set the tone for the whole game. The machine worked more effectively last night with Odor and Mitch up top.

Odor gives me the impression of a scrappy higher OBP kind of guy while Martin more of a power bat. Then I look at their 2014 numbers and Odor had a .259OBP and .402SLG ... while Martin had a .325OBP and .364SLG. Hmm. In 2014 only Choo, Beltre and Fielder had higher OBP than Martin. Maybe that's why Banister says "Leonys is going to be our lead-off hitter".

What I wish he would have said is "Leonys is going to be our primary lead-off hitter but other guys will take on that role too so we can take advantage of match ups or when we want to show another look."
He doesn't need to say they will ride the hot bat or the guy who is getting good patient ABs ... but that's what a different look would be. He just doesn't have to say it.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And then I read Goslin's piece ... Gosselin: Erratic offense causing Rangers' Banister to go against strategy, tinker with lineups | Dallas Morning News

And read this ...

Banister was saying before the game he doesn’t like to tinker. He wants to settle on a lineup card and then ride it. But he tinkered Tuesday night, replacing a leadoff hitter (Leonys Martin) hitting .139 with a .160 hitter (Rougned Odor). He also moved a .167 hitter (Shin-Soo Choo) out of the 2 hole and replaced him with a .217 hitter (Mitch Moreland).

“There are times when you give the lineup a different look, it tends to put a little spark in there, a little added energy,” Banister said. “We’ll see where this lineup takes us. I’m not into tinkering … but I am into not just sitting [still].”
Guess from my previous post I know squat ... Fraley says one thing and Gosslin another.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

***Angels throwing a lefty today -- that's why no Pegs & Moreland.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And then I read Goslin's piece ... Gosselin: Erratic offense causing Rangers' Banister to go against strategy, tinker with lineups | Dallas Morning News

And read this ...

Banister was saying before the game he doesn’t like to tinker. He wants to settle on a lineup card and then ride it. But he tinkered Tuesday night, replacing a leadoff hitter (Leonys Martin) hitting .139 with a .160 hitter (Rougned Odor). He also moved a .167 hitter (Shin-Soo Choo) out of the 2 hole and replaced him with a .217 hitter (Mitch Moreland).

“There are times when you give the lineup a different look, it tends to put a little spark in there, a little added energy,” Banister said. “We’ll see where this lineup takes us. I’m not into tinkering … but I am into not just sitting [still].”
Guess from my previous post I know squat ... Fraley says one thing and Gosslin another.

Take a look at our lineup and the averages are awful except for a couple.