• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hoping for new era in Green Bay

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, but my San Diego Chargers get first crack at this.

Doesn't sound like anything is happening in Green Bay, they are knowledgable football fan and owners of the team. I think this is the OP trolling. Green Bay isn't being blown up and the team is staying together.

whiskey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,001.01
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCarthy needs to go. His entire playbook has like 7 plays in it. 3 of the plays are "AARON!! GO DOOOO SOMETHING!!!!"

In reality, most of his plays rely on WR's winning one on one battles. He doesn't design plays to create space or open up space for players to make plays. He doesn't innovate or change with the fact that NFL defenses have adjusted to what he was doing 10 god damn years ago.

Capers.......fuck. I haven't liked the shit he runs since they brought him on board way back when. His clock expired a while ago. Watching play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play of TE's and WR's run free over the middle of the field against our slow and terrible cover LB's while blitzes never get home...... we've been doing this how long? Still doesn't work, and we JUST KEEP DOING IT! Isn't that the definition of insanity??

Ted Thompson continues to try to outsmart himself with an idiotic, restrictive strategy that is unnecessary and out of place. There's no need to go out and try to outspend your opponents in the salary cap era, but to stubbornly cross your arms and absolutely refuse to sign all but the rarest few free agents because "this is the way I do it!" is short sighted and frankly, stupid.

I look at the rest of the schedule and it really looks pretty tough. Minny, Detroit, Seattle, Houston, Philly, Chicago. They could potentially lose 5 of those games. Hell, they could lose to Chicago. I honestly, for the first time in my life am openly rooting for them to lose, and lose badly, because that's probably the only way we're going to see some meaningful change, which this franchise really needs.

klbynes500

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where in the hell is this Aaron Rodgers-is-having-a-bad-year talk coming from? When I saw the blogs on this website, I took those statements to be true. However, after I looked at Aaron Rodgers' numbers on Yahoo! sports, Aaron has a passing percentage at 63%, has thrown 25 TD's and has thrown 7 INT's. From week 1 to week 10, the Packers faced the South division for a game each, and faced these teams: the Giants, the Redskins, the Falcons, the Lions and the Cowboys. For five games, Aaron had thrown at 60+%, 70+% for two games and three games he accumulated 50+% results. Two of those 50+% performances totaled circa 58%.

Without a legit running game, Aaron totaled these numbers. For most of this season, Lacy and Starks have been hurt. Currently, Lacy leads the team with 360 yards rushing. Aaron is second--in rushing for the team--with 250-something yards.

As for the issues with the defense, Aaron doesn't play defense.

Deservingly, Aaron is a top-10 QB. Due to the lack of a serious running game, Aaron is a top-5 QB, possibly.

Sorry Aaron, about listening to bad information.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodgers isn't the problem.

He's one man show.

GB has 3 Rushing TD's

Guess who has those 3 (it's Rodgers)

So doesnt this point more at Thompson? They knew Lacy was a train wreck waiting to happen and did not address the position.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where in the hell is this Aaron Rodgers-is-having-a-bad-year talk coming from? When I saw the blogs on this website, I took those statements to be true. However, after I looked at Aaron Rodgers' numbers on Yahoo! sports, Aaron has a passing percentage at 63%, has thrown 25 TD's and has thrown 7 INT's. From week 1 to week 10, the Packers faced the South division for a game each, and faced these teams: the Giants, the Redskins, the Falcons, the Lions and the Cowboys. For five games, Aaron had thrown at 60+%, 70+% for two games and three games he accumulated 50+% results. Two of those 50+% performances totaled circa 58%.

Without a legit running game, Aaron totaled these numbers. For most of this season, Lacy and Starks have been hurt. Currently, Lacy leads the team with 360 yards rushing. Aaron is second--in rushing for the team--with 250-something yards.

As for the issues with the defense, Aaron doesn't play defense.

Deservingly, Aaron is a top-10 QB. Due to the lack of a serious running game, Aaron is a top-5 QB, possibly.

Sorry Aaron, about listening to bad information.
His YPA has been pretty poor for the last two years and the downfield passing has been very down. I'd argue that's more of a canary in the coal mine, but there are numbers that exist that sound some alarm bells on Rodgers' profile. Regardless of how much of it is actually his fault.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So doesnt this point more at Thompson? They knew Lacy was a train wreck waiting to happen and did not address the position.

Yes. Injuries have taken their toll on defense, but their offense lacks play makers. Jordy is 31 and chances are he'll never regain form, still good player. Cobb is a solid player, but he's shown he can't be a #1, Adams is OK at best....rest of guys? Bleh

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see firing an OC and maybe the coach but Rodgers is still a top 15 QB on a team that's a mess

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see firing an OC and maybe the coach but Rodgers is still a top 15 QB on a team that's a mess
More like top 10 and probably top 5.

I've been saying for a while the front office and coaching staff need to bite the dust.

whiskey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,001.01
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. Injuries have taken their toll on defense, but their offense lacks play makers. Jordy is 31 and chances are he'll never regain form, still good player. Cobb is a solid player, but he's shown he can't be a #1, Adams is OK at best....rest of guys? Bleh

This is a good analysis.

Cobb is a nice complementary piece. He's a guy that can get you 65-70 grabs and 900 yards. He shouldn't be your #1 receiver. (last year proved that).

Jordy is 31 and coming off a major knee injury. He can't create the separation he used to (easily) be able to create just running right down the field.

Ty Montgomery almost seems like he'd be a better H-Back or something.....

Davonte Adams seems to have some very nice physical tools, but he's very inconsistent, and runs shit routes and has drop issues at times.

People forget...... back in 2010... It was PRIME Jordy Nelson, PRIME Greg Jennings, an aging, but still relevant Donald Driver, and a PRIME James Jones. This group is not even a shadow of the group Rodgers had to throw at in 2010.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People forget...... back in 2010... It was PRIME Jordy Nelson, PRIME Greg Jennings, an aging, but still relevant Donald Driver, and a PRIME James Jones. This group is not even a shadow of the group Rodgers had to throw at in 2010.
That actually sounds like a GM issue

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just keep your hands off John Schneider.

He's not going anywhere, he's under contract and appears happy with it. That GB clause in his contract story was bs.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It certainly is. I referenced that in an earlier post in this very thread.
Yeah, he might have Bill Polian's disease of coasting with a great QB while ignoring the issues the great QB covered up for awhile and never having a rebuild year at the top of the draft. We had a rough thread where people ranked GMs heading into the season...I suspect thats different now.

Rank the 32 GM's

whiskey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,001.01
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he might have Bill Polian's disease of coasting with a great QB while ignoring the issues the great QB covered up for awhile and never having a rebuild year at the top of the draft. We had a rough thread where people ranked GMs heading into the season...I suspect thats different now.

Rank the 32 GM's

Hahahaha, that's hilarious. #3??? I've always maintained that Thompson looked good by skating along on Rodger's success. He's had some good picks, and (as most GM's do) lucked out on some bottom of the draft talent. But you simply can't continually restock an entire team that way year by year by year. Sooner or later the talent pool starts to run dry, and now the results of that approach are really showing. He's never showed anything more than passing interest in supplementing his draft strategy with even mid-tier free agents.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hahahaha, that's hilarious. #3??? I've always maintained that Thompson looked good by skating along on Rodger's success. He's had some good picks, and (as most GM's do) lucked out on some bottom of the draft talent. But you simply can't continually restock an entire team that way year by year by year. Sooner or later the talent pool starts to run dry, and now the results of that approach are really showing. He's never showed anything more than passing interest in supplementing his draft strategy with even mid-tier free agents.
Just a list of GM's I got from sporting news just to start the discussion. This is not my ranking

Ted Thompson definitely has taken a big hit to his stock.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can agree with McCarthy having run his course. If Thompson is to stay I think the Packers have to change their mentality of how they run an off season. This whole not bringing in FA's thing while I appreciate them not going crazy buying up every player possible there is still some advantages to going out and filling in some holes through FA. They have just not been a great drafting team lately compared to others.

Rodgers has struggled for the last about season and a half for sure but I would never think to get rid of a guy that not too long ago was recognized as the clear best QB in the NFL. At least see what a new coaching staff can do working with him.

11-5, 1-1
8-7-1, 0-1
12-4. 1-1
10-6, 1-1
4-6 current, ??

Including this season, that's the track record for McC over the last 5...without having seen all of those games it's hard for me to pinpoint exactly why GB has not gotten over the hump with Rodgers, but one thing I can point to...they have not had a top 10 DEF in any of those seasons and this yr they are 27th...they have been feeding off Rodgers and a couple of key DEF players.

I can understand the fans that want to see the man gone, but that's not a terrible track record...typically you wouldn't fire a HC with these kinds of results. What does need to happen...they've got to improve on DEF...I wouldn't be sending Rodgers anywhere. They need to bolster his weapons and I agree 100% building thru the draft is always a good concept. I don't remember how Peppers got there, but shunning the FA market is operating in a time warp.

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha 2007 the Packers had one of their best seasons under Favre. They had no problem throwing him to the curb months later.

Favre retired and they didn't want to lose rodgers for the future. Rodgers didn't retire and is still in top 6 for QBR despite the worst coaching staff in NFL history and wort defense in any sport ever.

#drainthewamp of the three stooges Ted Thompson Mike McMuffin and Dumb Crapers.