• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Homer addresses media/Pronger update tomorrow

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read an article today that stated if its a retirement for medical reasons, then he does not count against the cap. I really dont see how that can be as anyone could say "I cant skate because of my bad (back, knee, groin,etc.). In this case, I would think he may not get medical clearance.

As to Carle, I dont want him back. I think there are several better options for whatever salary he gets. If Jagr goes, make a move for whitney. Less money and will help the young guys.

If they re-sign Carle. They still have Prongers, Jagrs and maybe Shitteys money which would still leave about 6 million. right now they have 20 guys and 3 mill. If cap goes up $5 mill we have more to throw at Suter, but so does everyone else.

I still think Kimmos replacement will come from this draft.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually read this article that Jersey sent. Pretty interesting. I see many arguments that I can see from both sides. This is my reasoning for bringing this topic up. Basically, if I'm not mistaken, this LTIR is kind of a benefit for the salary cap? I think that integrity comes into play as well. For example, can Pronger play again? Maybe or maybe not. Now Pronger signed a 35 over contract, correct? Therefore, the Flyers would be screwed big time if Prongs retires. On the flip side, Pronger probably wants Yo stay on LTIR for the remainder of contract so he gets his full money. Is this correct?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually read this article that Jersey sent. Pretty interesting. I see many arguments that I can see from both sides. This is my reasoning for bringing this topic up. Basically, if I'm not mistaken, this LTIR is kind of a benefit for the salary cap? I think that integrity comes into play as well. For example, can Pronger play again? Maybe or maybe not. Now Pronger signed a 35 over contract, correct? Therefore, the Flyers would be screwed big time if Prongs retires. On the flip side, Pronger probably wants Yo stay on LTIR for the remainder of contract so he gets his full money. Is this correct?

yep on both accounts

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Pronger will get paid. Question is whether it counts towards cap. Under the old CBA they can avoid it. No idea what happens come September but I am sure his money will be available. No Dr. would risk clearing him if not 100% sur ehe was completely healed. This is a head injury. From what I read today he would be able to retire for medical reasons. I would expect Pronger to say something like" I really want to play but physically, I can't." the Rathje and Betts cases were obvious cap dodging but I still don't see Pronger being cleared at this point.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I knew jvr was hurt as he's better than he showed. if they do trade him those injuries may be a blessing in disguise as teams will know this too. I'm ok with it but want a dman back.

They may sign carle and then move him as they'd get something for him although he may not play ball with that. Would be cool if they trade his rights for suter and sign him!

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I knew jvr was hurt as he's better than he showed. if they do trade him those injuries may be a blessing in disguise as teams will know this too. I'm ok with it but want a dman back.

They may sign carle and then move him as they'd get something for him although he may not play ball with that. Would be cool if they trade his rights for suter and sign him!

Would love to know if he was hurt this year what he ever did while he wasnt hurt??? whether it be in college or the pros.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Would love to know if he was hurt this year what he ever did while he wasnt hurt??? whether it be in college or the pros.

hurt vag

my jvr jersey is for sale, or...here's to hoping the next free agent we sign likes the number 21.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I give JVR next year. For playing 43 games he was on a mere 45 point pace, but that would still be his best. Not to mention he was injured during those 43 games, and he has had some major flashes of brilliance.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I give JVR next year. For playing 43 games he was on a mere 45 point pace, but that would still be his best. Not to mention he was injured during those 43 games, and he has had some major flashes of brilliance.

a 45 point pace would have tied him for 128th in the league and when you combine his very mediocre offense with the fact that he does absolutly nothing else i cant see why you would want this guy for another year, He was a number 2 pick that hasnt panned out time to move on.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a 45 point pace would have tied him for 128th in the league and when you combine his very mediocre offense with the fact that he does absolutly nothing else i cant see why you would want this guy for another year, He was a number 2 pick that hasnt panned out time to move on.

What do you think of Rick Nash?

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love rick nash but he makes way to much money.

I love him too. Big power forward, plenty of skill. In his 3rd seasons he played 54 games and 54 points. Other than that though, here are his 1st, 2nd, and 3rd season's stats.

SEASON TEAM GP G A P
2002-2003 Blue Jackets 74 17 22 39
2003-2004 Blue Jackets 80 41 16 57
2006-2007 Blue Jackets 75 27 30 57

SEASON TEAM GP G A P
2009-2010 Flyers 78 15 20 35
2010-2011 Flyers 75 21 19 40
2011-2012 Flyers 43 11 13 24

Now I do not expect JVR to be Rick Nash, but at his ceiling a Rich Nash comparable. Wouldnt you agree these two had similar stats?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm fine with seeing jvr for another year.. i want the kid to be good and i want him to be good as a flyer.. i see no point in trading him for the sake of trading him, or to make cap space

i really dont expect the flyers to be that active.. i really dont.. i think they'll dabble in the suter sweeps, but wont be able to afford what he makes.. and i think they might dabble in the parise sweeps, but wont be able to afford that either..

i expect they'll resign carle, bourdon, and voracek.. and sign a more mid-level dman to play in the 5-spot and possibly a grinding forward (someone like gaustad).. and they'll go from there.. and to be honest, i'd be perfectly happy with that (assuming they take a future top pair dman in the draft, which they should be able to.. though i would look to move up to around 10 if they can to ensure it a little more)

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love him too. Big power forward, plenty of skill. In his 3rd seasons he played 54 games and 54 points. Other than that though, here are his 1st, 2nd, and 3rd season's stats.

SEASON TEAM GP G A P
2002-2003 Blue Jackets 74 17 22 39
2003-2004 Blue Jackets 80 41 16 57
2006-2007 Blue Jackets 75 27 30 57

SEASON TEAM GP G A P
2009-2010 Flyers 78 15 20 35
2010-2011 Flyers 75 21 19 40
2011-2012 Flyers 43 11 13 24

Now I do not expect JVR to be Rick Nash, but at his ceiling a Rich Nash comparable. Wouldnt you agree these two had similar stats?
You mustve had way to many martini's for lunch let's leave it at that. If you put rick nash in our high powered offense in his first three years in the league he wouldve had 80-90 points per year not to mention he didnt go to college and waste 2 years of his career.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and waiting another year to see what he's got makes me laugh. weve drafted him 5 years ago how long should we wait until you can actually tell this kid is a middle of the road player on offense and has no defensive skills whatsoever. rick nash plays from infront of the net where he scores alot of goals in close in JVR wont even skate across the front of the net. The JVR to nash comparison is the funniest post of the year you should win an award.

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm fine with seeing jvr for another year.. i want the kid to be good and i want him to be good as a flyer.. i see no point in trading him for the sake of trading him, or to make cap space

i really dont expect the flyers to be that active.. i really dont.. i think they'll dabble in the suter sweeps, but wont be able to afford what he makes.. and i think they might dabble in the parise sweeps, but wont be able to afford that either..

i expect they'll resign carle, bourdon, and voracek.. and sign a more mid-level dman to play in the 5-spot and possibly a grinding forward (someone like gaustad).. and they'll go from there.. and to be honest, i'd be perfectly happy with that (assuming they take a future top pair dman in the draft, which they should be able to.. though i would look to move up to around 10 if they can to ensure it a little more)

I'm ok with drafting a dman as a future #1 for us, but that is long-term. We still need a number one to fill the void of Pronger and Kimmo after this next season. Stud dman are not available very often so the Flyers should take advantage of the opportunity and go for it.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm ok with drafting a dman as a future #1 for us, but that is long-term. We still need a number one to fill the void of Pronger and Kimmo after this next season. Stud dman are not available very often so the Flyers should take advantage of the opportunity and go for it.

well i'm thinking that the draft pick will only need a year of seasoning, then a year at the NHL level playing in the bottom two pairs to get ready for a top pair gig.. i could be overestimating, but sbisa (pick #17) was playing in the NHL right outta the draft, and he wasn't really touted all that highly.. there's probably 10-15 dmen touted higher than he was (at least as far as i remember, though, i didn't follow the offseason quite so closely when we drafted him)

Last edited by a moderator:

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd love to have Paul Gaustad. He's a center which we don't need. Read can play winger. That leaves us ? Gaustad would not be the man here like he was in Buffalo. He's tough and gritty. Great face-off guy which is a huge plus. I think Buffalo will bring him back from reports I've been hearing.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love to have Paul Gaustad. He's a center which we don't need. Read can play winger. That leaves us ? Gaustad would not be the man here like he was in Buffalo. He's tough and gritty. Great face-off guy which is a huge plus. I think Buffalo will bring him back from reports I've been hearing.

he'll be highly sought after i agree.. but i think a player like him, even if its not him, would be useful..

i think it would really benefit the flyers if they could structure the team with 2 scoring lines, a two-way line, and a checking line.. in the devils series, if it was a defensive zone draw and couturier's line was tired, the flyers basically played russian roulette.. none of there other lines were even remotely effective defensively

i think couturier will be a perfect 3rd line C next year.. hopefully he'll shoot a little more, but still bring really solid defense.. i honestly think he can put up jordan staal numbers next year and still play well defensively.. i'd put read and maybe simmonds on that line with him.. get solid two way play and speed from read, and get some extra help along the boards with simmonds..

but then you have a big hole at '4th line shut down C'.. rinaldo/sestito are a decent wing for that line (though, if money is available, adding someone like fedetenko would be awesome, he's been an animal defensively for the rags and he's UFA) and talbot is good on the other side..

then you can mix/match schenn, hartnell, giroux, briere, voracek, and jvr has your top 6.. but i would pair giroux with either briere or jvr, and voracek with the other one.. to get a little d-support.. voracek and giroux track back pretty well