• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Homer addresses media/Pronger update tomorrow

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched the Carchidi feed, this is what he reported from Homer (probably some more, but I couldn't get stream to work):
Homer:
1. Cap from 64.3 -> 69M
2. Pronger still captain, thinks he will return but not sure.
3. Says Bryz will get better. D needs to improve.
4. Expects to re-sign Carle.
5. Gives JVR a "huge incomplete" due to injuries.
6. Doesn't regret Carter, Richards moves.
7. Kimmo back next year.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Cap from 64.3 -> 69M awesome
2. Pronger still captain, thinks he will return but not sure. expected
3. Says Bryz will get better. D needs to improve. agreed
4. Expects to re-sign Carle. not surprising
5. Gives JVR a "huge incomplete" due to injuries. not surprising
6. Doesn't regret Carter, Richards moves. agreed
7. Kimmo back next year. awesome

also, based on twitter, it doesn't look like jagr will be back.. tweeters say he evaded the question of if he wanted to return to the flyers, and homer also dodged the question not surprising

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly don't see Carle being back. He could get a lot more money as a UFA, the Flyers should not give him that kind of money.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly don't see Carle being back. He could get a lot more money as a UFA, the Flyers should not give him that kind of money.

twitterers seem to think he may come back below market value.. i guess homer said his money 'demand' isn't unreasonable

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my guess:

jvr's foot not fully healed
jagr's groin still messed up
hartnell broken foot
timonen will need surgery on his back, but i'm not ruling out foot or hand surgery either
grossmann knee surgery
giroux possible pulled groin, possible sprained wrist relapse
couturier strained/sprained acl or mcl
bryz surgery for the chip fracture? not sure if they do that

i also suspect someone had a shoulder or hip issue, cause every season every team has one of those

that's my guess

i also dont think mesz was fully ready to go yesterday, but they pushed him in.. hopefully he didn't suffer any setbacks

now that i see a tweet from meltz about jvr probably needing surgery.. wasn't there a point in the season where they were talking about a hip problem with him but he was going to try to play through it and get to the offseason?

if so.. there's your standard shoulder/hip surgery per team

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
twitterers seem to think he may come back below market value.. i guess homer said his money 'demand' isn't unreasonable

Well, I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him back in that case. The main reason that I want to push for Suter though is because not only have we lost Pronger, but we will need to replace Kimmo after next year as well. That's two legit #1 dman that will have to be filled. Replacing one of them is hard enough but trying to replace both is almost impossible.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me ask you guys this. If Homer thinks Pronger is coming back, if this is the case, how are we going to address our current roster? Prongs carries a heavy cap and wouldn't his cap number with our current roster be over? My next question, if Pronger does indeed play, we will not be able to target any player on the market, in particular, a dman.

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me ask you guys this. If Homer thinks Pronger is coming back, if this is the case, how are we going to address our current roster? Prongs carries a heavy cap and wouldn't his cap number with our current roster be over? My next question, if Pronger does indeed play, we will not be able to target any player on the market, in particular, a dman.

From what I got from the press conference I think Homer was just being nice when he was saying that Pronger might not be done. Also, I'm pretty sure for Pronger to remain on LTIR it has to appear that he is actually trying to come back and could potentially play again. I don't think he will though.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I dont think he comes back and we wont have to worry about his salary

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I got from the press conference I think Homer was just being nice when he was saying that Pronger might not be done. Also, I'm pretty sure for Pronger to remain on LTIR it has to appear that he is actually trying to come back and could potentially play again. I don't think he will though.

I'm not at all up to date on the CBA, but who actually determines if a player has a chance to come back? What I'm trying to say is is there a "code" I guess where let's say Pronger knows his career is done and Homer knows this, but Pronger doesn't want to screw the situation up by retiring, does the NHL jump in and look into the situation? Do you know what I'm trying to say?

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not at all up to date on the CBA, but who actually determines if a player has a chance to come back? What I'm trying to say is is there a "code" I guess where let's say Pronger knows his career is done and Homer knows this, but Pronger doesn't want to screw the situation up by retiring, does the NHL jump in and look into the situation? Do you know what I'm trying to say?

doctors maybe???

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to screw us they'd probably appoint shanahan for that decision. LOL

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, the NHL can intervene but I think they are pretty lenient. For example, they allowed Lappy to remain on LTIR this whole time.

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, the NHL can intervene but I think they are pretty lenient. For example, they allowed Lappy to remain on LTIR this whole time.

Thanks JJ. i can always count on one of guys for answers.

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks JJ. i can always count on one of guys for answers.

Yeah, I'll try to find an article on it. awaz is pretty with knowing the in's and out's of the CBA too.

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but it still gives ya the basic gist. Pronger is an over 35 contract so if he were to retire and not stay on the LTIR his salary would continue to be against the cap. The article in general does a fairly good job of showing how LTIR is used to legally circumvent the cap.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i have no idea how they enforce that haha.. its pretty clear to most involved that prongs is done i think.. and it was beyond clear that lappy was done (especially as he took on a coaching role basically).. but i dno how the NHL does it, but they do seem to be pretty lenient like jjg said

i am concerned that they might want to look at prongs case a little closer just because they raised an eyebrow when the deal was signed.. but so far it doesn't seem like they're going to do anything

i suppose you cant 'force' someone to retire though.. if the player doesn't think he's ready to come back yet, but 'wants' to in the future.. they can sit out as much time as they want, you cant force them in to anything.. i guess that could be how they 'enforce' it?

if prongs can somehow come back though, the hit is a little painful, but we'll have a top pair, or at least top 4 pending his health, dman back so no harm done.. they still have some wiggle room if homer's $69 mil estimate is correct to resign voracek and maybe tweak something here or there