• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Home brew

GamingGator

GG fools
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been brewing my own beer for a couple years now, if anyone is interested go to northernbrewers.com

The startup cost is fairly low at around $300. Each brew kit is $25-$50 and makes 50 beers. It's really easy and very addictive. So far I've made an Irish red ale (came with the starter pack), a cream ale which we added blueberries to, a milk stout, coffee stout, Belgian white, a hef, an IPA, an American wheat with orange peels and my favorite, an American wheat with dry hops (add extra hops after the boil to get the hoppy flavor but nit the bitterness.

Cheers

Mr. Tacoma

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been nourishing myself on homemade beer for about seven years now.

Northern Brewer is good but you gotta find your local brew shop. Make friends and swap ideas...

...and beer. Delicious beer.

GamingGator

GG fools
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been nourishing myself on homemade beer for about seven years now.

Northern Brewer is good but you gotta find your local brew shop. Make friends and swap ideas...

...and beer. Delicious beer.

got our starter kit from NB, we now get our supplies from a couple shops in denver. one of the shops has classes on sat, its nice.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since 1992. Wine and fruit wine as well.

Don't fuss about it much, can do it with my eyes closed. I buy my wort for ~$15 Cdn. Add corn sugar or another can of malt. Nothing else. Bottle in a month while watching a car race on a Sunday in the recroom. Sits for 2 weeks. No CO2 charging, I let some extra sugar at the bottling stage do it for me.

I won't win any contests but I don't care about that either.

My blackberry wine is to die for. As is my pear wine. Both very dry, tasty.

Mr. Tacoma

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember when I first started brewing.

I said to myself: "I'm just gonna make some simple ales. I don't need to make dunkelweizen or anything fancy!"

Now dunkelweizen is probably my favorite.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to anyone getting into homebrewing, i always recommend this book:
thecompletejoyofhomebrewing.jpg

i've been at it for about 7 years now, and i still refer to it pretty regularly. has a lot of good recipes too

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a book for wine from most anything.

But beer I simply use the recipe on the can...... KISS. Wet? Fizzy? Cold? Good enough for me.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a book for wine from most anything.

But beer I simply use the recipe on the can...... KISS. Wet? Fizzy? Cold? Good enough for me.

the books are more for people who want to learn about beer making, the science, the history, the different flavors of different ingredients, people who want to do more than just follow a recipe

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the books are more for people who want to learn about beer making, the science, the history, the different flavors of different ingredients, people who want to do more than just follow a recipe

Understood.

I just want cheap beer.... And have been more than happy doing so since 1992.

I make no pretense of being some kind of connoisseur....

CusswordJim

playing with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I was a teenager, I had a friend who`s Granny use to make what they called home brew....it was beer like I suppose....I don`t think it had any barley or hops. It tasted like a sweet bread kinda...and would knock you on your ass....from the taste you didn`t realize how much alcohol you were getting.

My friends older brother made a huge batch of it once. He stored the bottles under his house...because they weren`t to stable, and would explode....he would open them wearing welders gloves and with his face turned away, haha! Good times!

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My friends older brother made a huge batch of it once. He stored the bottles under his house...because they weren`t to stable, and would explode....he would open them wearing welders gloves and with his face turned away, haha! Good times!

I used to make root beer for the kids.

One batch I forgot to put in yeast. So I made another batch (now a double batch) and again fucked up the yeast by unknowingly adding twice as much as I should have..

I bottled in 2 litre plastic pop bottles and put in store room.

After a couple of weeks I heard a noise in the storeroom and walked in to find root beer all over the floor. It had blown the bottom out of one of the bottles.

So I took one to the utility sink and cracked the top. Instant foam and the entire bottle voided itself in the sink.

Then I thought this should blow up real good if shot with a pellet gun. So I took one outside and took a shot with my Luger looking pump action .177 cal pellet pistol. It bounced right off.

So about to give up I flipped the bottle into the air on the street and let it hit the ground.

The cap flew off followed by foamy root beer, the bottle then literally stood up on it's jet and took off up into the dusk sky. Bet it went up 30 feet like one of those old baking soda rockets I could buy as a kid.

I quickly went and got the other 20 bottles and every one of them did similarly. Made the road a bit sticky though...

CusswordJim

playing with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to make root beer for the kids.

One batch I forgot to put in yeast. So I made another batch (now a double batch) and again fucked up the yeast by unknowingly adding twice as much as I should have..

I bottled in 2 litre plastic pop bottles and put in store room.

After a couple of weeks I heard a noise in the storeroom and walked in to find root beer all over the floor. It had blown the bottom out of one of the bottles.

So I took one to the utility sink and cracked the top. Instant foam and the entire bottle voided itself in the sink.

Then I thought this should blow up real good if shot with a pellet gun. So I took one outside and took a shot with my Luger looking pump action .177 cal pellet pistol. It bounced right off.

So about to give up I flipped the bottle into the air on the street and let it hit the ground.

The cap flew off followed by foamy root beer, the bottle then literally stood up on it's jet and took off up into the dusk sky. Bet it went up 30 feet like one of those old baking soda rockets I could buy as a kid.

I quickly went and got the other 20 bottles and every one of them did similarly. Made the road a bit sticky though...
Awesome! You should make that stuff just to have fun with! haha!

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Understood.

I just want cheap beer.... And have been more than happy doing so since 1992.

I make no pretense of being some kind of connoisseur....

dont take my words the wrong way...i wasnt trying to turn my nose up at you...brewing beer is awesome, no matter what you brew, or what your motivations for doing it are!

:suds:

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dont take my words the wrong way...i wasnt trying to turn my nose up at you...brewing beer is awesome, no matter what you brew, or what your motivations for doing it are!

Absolutely, without a doubt completely understood.

I was just stating my position.

I get frustrated with my younger brother who can't even make recipe beer without fucking it up.

I do know that the 66 bottles of beer I make every month is not enough and I always end up going to the booze can for tailor mades.....

Mr. Tacoma

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yup!

I brew all grain but I get annoyed with all grain brewers who get snobby towards extract brewers. Some people, like apartment dwellers, don't have the option to do all grain. Besides that we're making beer for personal use. It's our beer. If someone has a good time brewing extract beer and they're happy with the end result then I say brew on!

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup!

I brew all grain but I get annoyed with all grain brewers who get snobby towards extract brewers. Some people, like apartment dwellers, don't have the option to do all grain. Besides that we're making beer for personal use. It's our beer. If someone has a good time brewing extract beer and they're happy with the end result then I say brew on!

I have a 4,000 sq ft house so I have all the space I require.

I simply don't have the inclination to bother getting more into it.

5% is all that matters. I don't even drink it out of a glass mug. I use my NFL pint sized freezer mugs.

I'm a boozer, not a purist....

Mr. Tacoma

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a 4,000 sq ft house so I have all the space I require.

I simply don't have the inclination to bother getting more into it.

5% is all that matters. I don't even drink it out of a glass mug. I use my NFL pint sized freezer mugs.

I'm a boozer, not a purist....

That's why it's called homebrew. It's done at someone's home for their personal pleasure.

Brew what makes you happy my man!

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why it's called homebrew. It's done at someone's home for their personal pleasure.

Brew what makes you happy my man!

I still wanna be your neighbor. A chef and a home brewmaster. Sounds like a winner. Except for your team of course... :suds:

Harry Crack

Best 8 sec's of her life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like Hank , i make a pile of homemade wine every year , but i have never ventured into the beer side of it. I guess because the 2 or 3 people i know who make it , it tastes like shit. I am not talking "doesn't taste like my lager bought at the store so i don't like it" , i am talking tastes like crap.