• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hefeweizen

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey guys, I think my next brew is going to be a German Wheat beer. I am looking at using about 50% wheat and 50% European 2-Row, with a little bit of Munich and/or Crystal sprinkled in there.
I guess my biggest question is that I have heard that a decoction mash is best for this style beer due to the starch/protein make-up of this type of malt?? My setup probably isn't great for that (converted picnic cooler), so would a infusion mash be just fine with this type of brew?? I have heard of a decoction in a picnic cooler is doable, but imagine it would be quite tricky. Also, what is a good temperature to mash this mixture at, I was thinking (and after reading up a little bit) that 153-154F would be great for a more body. Hops will be German at around 10-20 IBU. I am going to try to use a European Hef Yeast (maybe White labs) and I can keep the temp around 66-68F. I have heard some of these yeasts are a little more high maintenance/unforgiving than some of the American Ale yeasts.

Any ideas or thoughts on the mash type, mash temp. and yeast selection would great. Thanks fellow homebrewers!!

arsenal6106

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I lack the skill of brewing, but this thread sure got me in the mood for a hefeweizen.

20p5xqb.jpg

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey guys, I think my next brew is going to be a German Wheat beer. I am looking at using about 50% wheat and 50% European 2-Row, with a little bit of Munich and/or Crystal sprinkled in there.
I guess my biggest question is that I have heard that a decoction mash is best for this style beer due to the starch/protein make-up of this type of malt?? My setup probably isn't great for that (converted picnic cooler), so would a infusion mash be just fine with this type of brew?? I have heard of a decoction in a picnic cooler is doable, but imagine it would be quite tricky. Also, what is a good temperature to mash this mixture at, I was thinking (and after reading up a little bit) that 153-154F would be great for a more body. Hops will be German at around 10-20 IBU. I am going to try to use a European Hef Yeast (maybe White labs) and I can keep the temp around 66-68F. I have heard some of these yeasts are a little more high maintenance/unforgiving than some of the American Ale yeasts.

Any ideas or thoughts on the mash type, mash temp. and yeast selection would great. Thanks fellow homebrewers!!

Yikes. Hope I'm not too late to the party (probably am). It's not a matter of protein that you want to do a decoction mash (actually, I'd recommend a step mash, which you can do with your system). That rest is to develop flavor compounds (Maillard reactions) that generate a clove flavor which complements the bubblegum/banana esters of the yeast character.

For a decoction mash, you can do that. Just mash in at a low temp. Way low, like 117-122. Boil a third of your mash, and add it to the rest of your mash. This will bump your mash up to a desired range (shoot for 152-154 on this style). If you're not there after the addition, slowly add 170 degree water until you get your mash temp where you want it. You're going to have a thin mash. That's okay. More extract and dextrins are totally appropriate for this style.

Since you can't direct heat your mash tun, a step mash isn't really practical, but can be done with the addition of 170 degree water. Start your mash at 122 (strike temp, not liquor temp; this is a factor of .4 X Mash Temp - Malt Temp over L:G ratio + Mash Temp. I.e.: You want to start at 122, so .4 X 122 - room temp for malt, divided by your liquor to grist ratio (typically 2.5:1, but you'll want to start THICK in this instance since you're bumping with water; I'd shoot for a 1.5:1 ratio) then add that number to 122. That's what your strike temp will be), then add 1 quart of 170 degree water to your mash tun until you hit your target temp. Mash for an hour, and then proceed with your boil.

To really develop the bubblegum/banana flavors, you HAVE to ferment at 62 degrees. If you can't do that, you're going to be disappointed with the results.

Cheers VT.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey long time no see Warty. Not too late to the party. Probably not going to brew this batch for another few weeks (Labor Day weekend maybe)I will read up on the step mash process. Sounds interesting. I have been doing a little experiment at home to see what temps I get in certain areas (still don't have a controlled fermentation cooler). Found that I can achieve 62-65F very consistently in one area so that is where I think I will ferment the hef. Probably go with White Labs 300 (If available at my LHBS). Have read that even though the website lists the optimum ferm temp. at 66-70, that a few degrees lower than that (according to homebrewers) is even better. From what I have read that seems to be the case with most yeasts.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey long time no see Warty. Not too late to the party. Probably not going to brew this batch for another few weeks (Labor Day weekend maybe)I will read up on the step mash process. Sounds interesting. I have been doing a little experiment at home to see what temps I get in certain areas (still don't have a controlled fermentation cooler). Found that I can achieve 62-65F very consistently in one area so that is where I think I will ferment the hef. Probably go with White Labs 300 (If available at my LHBS). Have read that even though the website lists the optimum ferm temp. at 66-70, that a few degrees lower than that (according to homebrewers) is even better. From what I have read that seems to be the case with most yeasts.

Yeah, with this strain in particular, fermenting in the 66-70 range won't generate what you really want out of this beer. 62 is the ideal.

It's funny how much difference a degree or two in either direction makes, but it is crucial on these yeast strains.

The step mash is pretty easy with your system. Just make sure your thermometer is calibrated (if you have a metal dial/meat thermometer type; I don't ever recommend using a glass thermometer), and add that hot water slowly. You can always add more heat. Adding cold isn't a great way to go.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The room that is coldest stays 63-64F very consistently so I hope will suffice. Reread the last message you sent and seems like the step mash should be pretty easy to do. For some reason I was thinking of the triple decoction method (I believe some use for bocks) which I would never even attempt with my system. I guess that is a 3-5 step decoction, pretty advanced. That is more if an expert level home brewing stuff. Not there yet. I have a cheapy digital thermometer that seemed to work well on the Mango IPA I brewed so should do the job.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The room that is coldest stays 63-64F very consistently so I hope will suffice. Reread the last message you sent and seems like the step mash should be pretty easy to do. For some reason I was thinking of the triple decoction method (I believe some use for bocks) which I would never even attempt with my system. I guess that is a 3-5 step decoction, pretty advanced. That is more if an expert level home brewing stuff. Not there yet. I have a cheapy digital thermometer that seemed to work well on the Mango IPA I brewed so should do the job.

Triple decoction isn't relevant anymore (technologically speaking), except in traditional german brewhouses where the brewers are stubbornly holding onto archaic methods because of tradition. That's fine for them, but needless for us. You don't get anything out of the third decoction except another couple hours of mash time. Double decoctions are even a bit antiquated, but have their place in certain Marzen recipes.

Your cold room should be okay. If you can get a consistent 63, you should be fine. If it pushes to 65 for several hours a day, you're going to be pushing the limits, but should still be in the range.

Digital thermometers are excellent in this application. No need for calibration, as they almost never fail.

Step mashing is easy. Don't think of temp-control or decoction mashing as difficult. Think of them as time consuming.