• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Holgorsen - "You lie in recruiting"

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kids today smell BS from a mile away they know the deal. I think they will respect a coach that calls it like he sees it.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kids today smell BS from a mile away they know the deal. I think they will respect a coach that calls it like he sees it.

Either that or they'll think everything he says to them is a bunch of bullshit. :noidea:

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I just checked with the "No Fucking Shit, Sherlock" department, and they confirmed that this is true.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoke does too. Don't be naïve....

Maybe, but he's certainly not dumb enough to say it. All this does is provide something to point to when trying to steer kids away from WVU.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard that Holgerson has some trouble with the booze.
Maybe he was drunk when he said it.

Grue

Member's Only Jacket
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Torrance Gibson, you're my Number 1 QB."
"Brandon Wimbush, you're my Number 1 QB."
"Joe Burrow, you're my Number 1 QB."
"Deondre Francois, you're my Number 1 QB."
"Every TE Prospect, we'll throw the ball to you."
"Every WR Prospect, we'll throw the ball to you."

- Urban Meyer.

963BUSC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well of course you are selling the university and program to the people. You tell them the benefits and everything that is the reason they should come to your school. Do you think they spend millions of dollars on fancy locker rooms for no reason? That's just a selling point for the coaches.

Probably shouldn't be lying, and if you are, probably shouldn't admit to it.

:agree:

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Trust me kid, when Dana Holgorson says he's telling the truth, he's lying...but me, when I tell you I'm telling the truth, I really am telling you the truth! You see, he only wants to win football games, we want to mold your character and give you an education..."
--A totally believable head coach from a rival university

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pelini doesn't lie.

He'll tell everybody exactly what he thinks of them.

This is a fact. Bo Pelini is a straight shooter on the recruiting trail. The pitch is the same for every kid. You're not special, your scholarship only guarantees an education, not playing time, you will earn it every snap.

Urban Meyer doesn't share the same sentiment. He told ESPN that "once you get them to sign on the dotted line, there is a de-recruiting period".

Now if you have half a brain, you know what he is saying is that there is a "brain washing period" where all the half truths and promises and deceptions have to slowly be taken off the table, because if urban meyer fulfilled every promise he made to recruits, he'd have to start a team of freshmen every year, he'd have to bribe NFL scouts into sending positive reports to GM's, and he'd have to actually talk with and have a real relationship with every single player which god knows is NEVER happening.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

sooo delusional. You don't understand recruiting if this is your mentality. Were you 18 before orrr..?

If the kid has clueless parents then more often than not, the kid's a lost puppy dog with no convictions or moral compass.

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Trust me kid, when Dana Holgorson says he's telling the truth, he's lying...but me, when I tell you I'm telling the truth, I really am telling you the truth! You see, he only wants to win football games, we want to mold your character and give you an education..."
--A totally believable head coach from a rival university
-------
And he said all this without moving his lips.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Admitting it is the first step.......

To stupidity.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You get bad apples everywhere though.

PLEASE tell me this quote was taken out of context and he was talking about CFB recruiting as a whole and not himself. Tell me he followed up with "we don't lie to kids at WVU" or something.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dana Holgorsen is being very honest about recruiting when he says that a big part of recruiting is ... lying.

When speaking to the media on Monday the West Virginia coach didn't feel the need to sugarcoat what goes into the recruiting process.

"I know you lie in recruiting a bunch, and that's just part of it," said Holgorsen when talking to the media Monday. "What are we actually doing? What are we actually feeding these guys? Our job is to get guys on campus. Once they're on campus, our players do a lot of recruiting. They spend a lot of time with the recruits, and I encourage them to tell the truth about what we give them and how we treat them."

Now, whether or not Holgorsen should be this open about the process, I don't know, but it's the truth. A coach is going to tell a player whatever they need to in order to get that player to come to their school.

So, you know, if you're a high school football player being recruited right now, or any time in the future, just remind yourself that at least 50 percent of what you're being told is likely crap. Just pick the school you want to go to based on your own personal reasons, not what the coach is telling you.

And uniforms. Don't forget to pick your school based on how awesome the uniform looks."

That is how it went.