• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Holgorsen - "You lie in recruiting"

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"You lie in recruiting a bunch. That's just kind of part of it. You become a salesman."

Wow, WVU must be proud....pretty terrible thing for your head coach to say/admit to.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"You lie in recruiting a bunch. That's just kind of part of it. You become a salesman."

Wow, WVU must be proud....pretty terrible thing for your head coach to say/admit to.
-
Its only shocking, because it is true. Every coach is recruiting the next LT, Barry Sanders, Jerry Rice, or Anthony Munoz.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that it happens all the time, but to just come out and say it prolly isn't going to sound too good to some of these recruits or their parents.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hoke does too. Don't be naïve....

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well of course you are selling the university and program to the people. You tell them the benefits and everything that is the reason they should come to your school. Do you think they spend millions of dollars on fancy locker rooms for no reason? That's just a selling point for the coaches.

Probably shouldn't be lying, and if you are, probably shouldn't admit to it.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just out of curiosity, what do you have to lie about? I mentioned this over on the WVU board. The school sells itself and that's what you're really selling. So what do you lie about that a recruit can't go online and find out anyway? I guess you can lie to the recruit and promise him he can start right away, even though the coach knows he has every intent to redshirt the kid.....

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is the most frequent "lie" most coaches tell in recruiting is how soon the kid can play. Every kid wants to hear he will start soon or at least have a shot at it. Telling a kid "son, we're going to be looking for you to come in and set the world on fire. We need a good (fill in the blank)". The worst lies are shitting on the other schools. "If you go to Oklahoma you might as well take a book with you because their isn't anything to do in Norman......if you go to Texas you might as well get used to seeing guys holding hands because that's about 50% of their student body.....if you go to Alabama you better be ready to take a hike after 1 year because they might give your scholarship to someone else.....if you go to USC you might want to be really careful in that part of town.......... There's no end of the negative recruiting that goes on.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

200.gif

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can hear Saban now while recruiting his OL earlier this year...

"Son, how would you feel about carrying the crystal ball for Bama this January?"

:fify:

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think a big thing coaches would lie about is less about the school and more about the individual player...like telling them they'll get to play right away and stuff like that.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is the most frequent "lie" most coaches tell in recruiting is how soon the kid can play. Every kid wants to hear he will start soon or at least have a shot at it. Telling a kid "son, we're going to be looking for you to come in and set the world on fire. We need a good (fill in the blank)". The worst lies are shitting on the other schools. "If you go to Oklahoma you might as well take a book with you because their isn't anything to do in Norman......if you go to Texas you might as well get used to seeing guys holding hands because that's about 50% of their student body.....if you go to Alabama you better be ready to take a hike after 1 year because they might give your scholarship to someone else.....if you go to USC you might want to be really careful in that part of town.......... There's no end of the negative recruiting that goes on.

Whoops. This :agree:

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be a resounding "NO." I still can't believe he said that. This is beyond moronic to say, even if it's true.

That is completely true. We all know lies are told.
1. The position is open, I think you have a great shot to start
2. We believe you can be a great QB, any coach that thinks you are a WR is crazy

The issue is he hurt his own credibility with recruits and opened up the door for doubt on things like:

I will do everything to make him graduate

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pelini doesn't lie.

He'll tell everybody exactly what he thinks of them.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is completely true. We all know lies are told.
1. The position is open, I think you have a great shot to start
2. We believe you can be a great QB, any coach that thinks you are a WR is crazy

The issue is he hurt his own credibility with recruits and opened up the door for doubt on things like:

I will do everything to make him graduate

Exactly, you're only hurting your own credibility. You can't win if your him here. You can only lose. Keep your damn trap shut.

Of course we have a nice class committed for '15 right now. Wonder how many decommit. :gaah: