• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Holding Refs accountable?

Progeriakid

Hanging Pork
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Twice in the last week we have seen a disallowed goal be the deciding factor against our boys. My question is this, what can be done to make refs accountable for horrible calls, I mean they should be a non factor in games but they aren't, they try to make themselves large then the game itself, sorry to burst their bubbles but they aren't the ones getting paid millions to leave it all out on the ice only to have some schmuck screw up a call to waste thier effort! Should the league fine the refs for bad calls?? Should they suspend refs for bad calls? Something needs to be done, looking the other way doesn't work anymore, someone has be held accountable, these bad calls can and will effect playoffs seeding as well as for some teams make or not make the playoffs.

lhagen931

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Twice in the last week we have seen a disallowed goal be the deciding factor against our boys. My question is this, what can be done to make refs accountable for horrible calls, I mean they should be a non factor in games but they aren't, they try to make themselves large then the game itself, sorry to burst their bubbles but they aren't the ones getting paid millions to leave it all out on the ice only to have some schmuck screw up a call to waste thier effort! Should the league fine the refs for bad calls?? Should they suspend refs for bad calls? Something needs to be done, looking the other way doesn't work anymore, someone has be held accountable, these bad calls can and will effect playoffs seeding as well as for some teams make or not make the playoffs.

well said, man

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The refs are fucking horrendous all around the league - every night there's at least flat out horrendous calls - these refs need to be called out for this garbage - start grading them like every other sport and those who screw up don't get to ref - it's an absolute joke the way these guys show their incompetence - they never work to get the call right - and the league needs to get their shit together with the review policy - they have all the tools to do so and they don't do it - horrendous

Every possible goal should be reviewed and changed if needed - it's a joke the way this system is - the refs are as incompetent as ever - it's embarrassing - fucking screwing teams out of important points

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya they are graded but it doesn't help at the time of the fuck up. They just need to allow replay more opportunities to get the calls right. NFL needs to do this too. Unreviewable calls piss me off!!!

Progeriakid

Hanging Pork
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any questionable goal should be reviewed the second it happens and maybe any goal within the last 2mins should be evaluated as well, its a start but hey we can dream!

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have two other fixes:

1) COVER OPPOSING PLAYERS IN THE CREASE.
2) SCORE A FUCKING PP GOAL. 0-6, and looked terrible doing it.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have two other fixes:

1- Yes
2- Yes
3- Still a horrible call

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1- Yes
2- Yes
3- Still a horrible call

I didn't think it was horrible. Wrong, yes, but for a split second decision it certainly wasn't a no-brainer. Tough call that went against the Flyers.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have two other fixes:

I do mostly agree, but while the power play did not convert, they did look absolutely amazing at times. Those times just happened to be early in the game though instead of late.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't think it was horrible. Wrong, yes, but for a split second decision it certainly wasn't a no-brainer. Tough call that went against the Flyers.

Still, you have to admit that it basically was a carbon copy of the goal Raymond got credit for against us in the third period just the other night. So, if that was a good goal, why the fuck wasn't this one? It's a little mind boggling for the fans to figure this shit out when there's zero consistency in the refereeing from game to game.

sanfrand

FFL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hold refs accountable

Couldn't agree with you more. That one young ref was a fucking joke!

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's only one way to fix this and that's by broadening the scope of what's reviewable and reversible. Yes the call on the ice was wrong but it was a split second call from a ref who was not in good position to make the call honestly. The ref was actually looking at the back of Brodeur's jersey so he was unable to see who initiated contact with him. The remedy is to use the technology that is available now to make sure that the calls are correct. This could mean reviewing every goal immediately after they are scored like the NFL does with most touchdowns.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes my point but don't limit what's reviewable. If it's wrong it should be fixed!

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't agree with you more. That one young ref was a fucking joke!

Yeah, well...that would be Mark Lemelin. I did some research and the guy has only been officiating in the Nhl since January of last year. Before that, he was "honing" his craft in the USHL, CHL and AHL. He basically only has 24 Nhl games worth of experience since that point. The majority of that has been this season.

And yes, nothing should be non-reviewable. That is bullshit to me. We have the technology to judge any significant hockey play.

Last edited by a moderator:

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And yes, nothing should be non-reviewable. That is bullshit to me. We have the technology to judge any significant hockey play.

The league will never agree to that because it takes away from the perceived integrity of the officials. There are certain calls that should be non-reviewable. For instance does anyone remember when Lucic ran over Miller? Blatant goalie interference should be called on the ice, however any goal where there was a possibility of coincidental contact because numerous players were in the area should be looked at. The other thing everyone has to remember is that if every single play was reviewable it would really screw up the flow of the game and momentum for teams and since the NHL wants the game to be more exciting I think having a clock stop to review a play every few minutes would be counter productive to that goal. I would be happy if every puck that ended up in the net was reviewed though to ensure the crrect call was made and I don't think that is something the owners or league would object to.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The league will never agree to that because it takes away from the perceived integrity of the officials. There are certain calls that should be non-reviewable. For instance does anyone remember when Lucic ran over Miller? Blatant goalie interference should be called on the ice, however any goal where there was a possibility of coincidental contact because numerous players were in the area should be looked at. The other thing everyone has to remember is that if every single play was reviewable it would really screw up the flow of the game and momentum for teams and since the NHL wants the game to be more exciting I think having a clock stop to review a play every few minutes would be counter productive to that goal. I would be happy if every puck that ended up in the net was reviewed though to ensure the crrect call was made and I don't think that is something the owners or league would object to.

Obviously you can't review every little play within a game, but reviewing every potential game changing play (that is extremely close) in each game isn't going to disrupt the flow anymore than the infrequent commercial breaks do.