• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

HOF Exit Poll Results

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BBTF's Newsblog Discussion :: The 2013 HOF Ballot Collecting Gizmo!
According To Exit Polls, These Four Players Will Make The Hall Of Fame

So, so, so stupid. At least the four guys all deserve to get in and Jack Morris won't make it. But it's absolutely absurd that Piazza and Bagwell don't get in, and obviously Bonds and Clemens. And how in the world can Glavine get 97% so far, but Mussina and Schilling (both better pitchers than Glavine) be so far behind?

There's also an important note that there is typically a standard deviation, so Biggio might not get in, or Morris, Bagwell, or Piazza could make it.

The end result is the same... the voting needs to be stripped from the BBWAA, or at least undergo wide-sweeping reform.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BBTF's Newsblog Discussion :: The 2013 HOF Ballot Collecting Gizmo!
According To Exit Polls, These Four Players Will Make The Hall Of Fame

So, so, so stupid. At least the four guys all deserve to get in and Jack Morris won't make it. But it's absolutely absurd that Piazza and Bagwell don't get in, and obviously Bonds and Clemens. And how in the world can Glavine get 97% so far, but Mussina and Schilling (both better pitchers than Glavine) be so far behind?

There's also an important note that there is typically a standard deviation, so Biggio might not get in, or Morris, Bagwell, or Piazza could make it.

The end result is the same... the voting needs to be stripped from the BBWAA, or at least undergo wide-sweeping reform.

:agree::agree::agree:

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell, I still think Petey Rose/Shoeless Joe should be in the HOF...so what the hell do I know.
Glavine's a go for me too...could care less about the order (year) each would go, but all those names you spoke of should be there.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until someone sells their vote to a website, I don't think the process needs reform.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until someone sells their vote to a website, I don't think the process needs reform.

You are aware of the whole deadspin thing, aren't you?

Recently, as you may recall, we announced our plan to subvert the annual elections for baseball's Hall of Fame by buying votes from voters. Our idea was to make a mockery and farce of the increasingly solemn and absurd election process, and to take some power from the duly appointed custodians of the game's history and turn it over to the public.
Well, with the Baseball Writers' Association of America having released its official ballot today, we can happily announce that we have a vote. A member of the Baseball Writers' Association of America thought our plan sounded like a pretty damn good idea and sold us his/her vote, making a stand against the idea that a somewhat random subsection of the baseball press should maintain the power to confer what is, regrettably, the game's most prestigious honor. For obvious reasons, the voter will remain anonymous for now, but he/she will be filling out his/her ballot on behalf of Deadspin readers, who will be polled in binding elections. The voter will announce his/her name and motivations once his/her vote has been officially cast.
(We'll here note that we're still buying votes; we can be reached at [email protected], or in the comments below. Confidentiality is assured.)
For now, though, we'd like to hear from you, the public: How should we proceed? What do you feel you need to cast an informed vote? What sort of voting system would best capture the will of the people?

gunnarthor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This crap always comes up every year. A few years ago, HBT wrote an article on it and found that the BBWAA has done a pretty decent job of electing the right players (vet committee was a different matter). Some it might take a year or two longer but all in all, they've gotten it right.

On PEDs, you certainly have views that are different than what seems to be the predominant view of the BBWAA. But most fans also don't want PED users in the HOF. So you'd be left arguing that you want a group of voters that vote the way you want them to.

Lastly, who gives a shit about voting percentages? Why on earth would anyone want a group of 500 plus people to have unanimous agreement on anything? Wishing people had groupthink isn't the answer.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This crap always comes up every year. A few years ago, HBT wrote an article on it and found that the BBWAA has done a pretty decent job of electing the right players (vet committee was a different matter). Some it might take a year or two longer but all in all, they've gotten it right.

On PEDs, you certainly have views that are different than what seems to be the predominant view of the BBWAA. But most fans also don't want PED users in the HOF. So you'd be left arguing that you want a group of voters that vote the way you want them to.

Lastly, who gives a shit about voting percentages? Why on earth would anyone want a group of 500 plus people to have unanimous agreement on anything? Wishing people had groupthink isn't the answer.

I am guessing there is a player or two that has his eye on this number. And, as nobody has been voted in unanimously, there is still that mountain to climb.......

gunnarthor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am guessing there is a player or two that has his eye on this number. And, as nobody has been voted in unanimously, there is still that mountain to climb.......
Sure, Greg Maddux might care but so what? Is that going to change how people perceive him? Anyone believe that Cobb is better than Ruth b/c he had the highest initial voting percentage? Or that Seaver is the best pitcher ever? Of course not. And I'd rather have a group that has some individuality in it than 500 people that all think the same, even if I don't agree with some of what that creates.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't think MOST fan's know about the 60s and 70s and 80s when "greenies, beanies and ANY amphetemine" were being gobbled down daily by a large part of the baseball playing community. FACT IS, players have been "using PEDs" since time began on the field of play. Baseball just doesn't want to talk about that and give themselves a black eye all over again. Same goes for gambling.

Time for the "purest elite" to get real and wash the "virginity" of their sport off their fucked up souls already.

I love baseball, one of the BEST Pro games out there today, minus the BS.
:suds:

Last edited by a moderator:

gunnarthor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't think MOST fan's know about the 60s and 70s and 80s when "greenies, beanies and ANY amphetemine" were being gobbled down daily by a large part of the baseball playing community. FACT IS, players have been "using PEDs" since time began on the field of play. Baseball just doesn't want to talk about that and give themselves a black eye all over again. Same goes for gambling.

Time for the "purest elite" to get real and wash the "virginity" of their sport off their fucked up souls already.

Fine, good for you.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, Greg Maddux might care but so what? Is that going to change how people perceive him? Anyone believe that Cobb is better than Ruth b/c he had the highest initial voting percentage? Or that Seaver is the best pitcher ever? Of course not. And I'd rather have a group that has some individuality in it than 500 people that all think the same, even if I don't agree with some of what that creates.

"Lastly, who gives a shit about voting percentages?"

You asked. I answered.

Signed,

Larry Literal.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I find myself in a small minority of folks that don't really care about the subject. It is not that I condone cheating, but as we are never going to know all there is to know about all the people involved, I just kind of roll with the flow.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sick to death of the PED subject, and greenies (among other things) have always been a part of the culture. I guess I'm with BigD here, rolling with the flow. As much as I can't stand Bonds, I think he certainly deserves to be in the HOF. Then again, I also think Pete Rose does.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why on earth would anyone want a group of 500 plus people to have unanimous agreement on anything?

Aren't there just some guys who are clear Hall of Famers though?

To me it's unthinkable that Greg Maddux wouldn't be in the Hall of Fame and when he doesn't get 100% of the vote the only question to ask will be why? And we'll find out and it will undoubtably be some stupid rationale by a sports writer looking for his 15 minutes of fame.

I'm kind of looking forward to the day when a clear Hall of Famer gets dropped because enough writers decide to make their name by not voting for him in his first year that he's dropped from the ballot the next. It would be hilarious to watch a bunch of guys explain why Derek Jeter or someone similar will never get into Cooperstown.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as i said in another thread

i'm betting on maddux, glavin, thomas, and biggio making it and they deserve it, no dobut

but hof voting is as dumb as mvp voting, imo. until pete rose gets in it's all just a fucking joke

ped were ubiquitous in the sport and mlb and the players union were fine with it until congress got involved. not fair to fuck over clemens and company, imo.

they named the DH award after EDGAR MARTINEZ, and it's a travesty that he's not getting voted in. if he had played shitty 1st base for a few years longer, he'd probably be a shoo in. so styupid.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as i said in another thread

i'm betting on maddux, glavin, thomas, and biggio making it and they deserve it, no dobut

but hof voting is as dumb as mvp voting, imo. until pete rose gets in it's all just a fucking joke

ped were ubiquitous in the sport and mlb and the players union were fine with it until congress got involved. not fair to fuck over clemens and company, imo.

they named the DH award after EDGAR MARTINEZ, and it's a travesty that he's not getting voted in. if he had played shitty 1st base for a few years longer, he'd probably be a shoo in. so styupid.

Getting off topic, but that's his own fault...he agreed to be banned so they'd end the investigation on him.

And while I do think Edgar should be in, I still think he'd have a hard time getting in had he been a 1B....I think a lot of voters wouldn't want to vote for a 1B with 300 HR and 2200 hits, even if his rate stats are excellent.

Last edited by a moderator:

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting off topic, but that's his own fault...he agreed to be banned so they'd end the investigation on him.

And while I do think Edgar should be in, I still think he'd have a hard time getting in had he been a 1B....I think a lot of voters wouldn't want to vote for a 1B with 300 HR and 2200 hits, even if his rate stats are excellent.

somebody got all of those MLB records

his name was Pete Rose

mlb is making a farce of itself by ignoring him

i see what you're saying about edgar, though

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aren't there just some guys who are clear Hall of Famers though?

To me it's unthinkable that Greg Maddux wouldn't be in the Hall of Fame and when he doesn't get 100% of the vote the only question to ask will be why? And we'll find out and it will undoubtably be some stupid rationale by a sports writer looking for his 15 minutes of fame.

I'm kind of looking forward to the day when a clear Hall of Famer gets dropped because enough writers decide to make their name by not voting for him in his first year that he's dropped from the ballot the next. It would be hilarious to watch a bunch of guys explain why Derek Jeter or someone similar will never get into Cooperstown.

I suspect that someone this year will leave Maddux unchecked because he has more than 10 candidates that he believes are worthy and figures that Maddux will get in without his vote anyway. I don't think I'd do that personally, but it's not such a "stupid" reason.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
somebody got all of those MLB records

his name was Pete Rose

mlb is making a farce of itself by ignoring him

i see what you're saying about edgar, though

If the guy agreed to be banned from the game, why does anyone have to do him favors and reinstate him so he can be in the HOF? Because he holds the hits record?

He agreed to the ban...that was his decision.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the guy agreed to be banned from the game, why does anyone have to do him favors and reinstate him so he can be in the HOF? Because he holds the hits record?

He agreed to the ban...that was his decision.

yet his 4 significant records and myriad of other significant accomplishments are still there in the record books, nearly 30 years later

mlb is full of cowards unless they strike his entire career/accomplishments from the record. you and i both know they won't do that, though. gee, i wonder why.

come on, let's leave hypocrisy to the millionaires, and not condone it.