• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

HOF Ballot

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a tough one voting for my top 10 since some of the players I never watched play and also because there's a lot of legitimate candidates who have good cases.

My ballot (After Maddux it's in no particular order)

1. Barry Bonds (total jerk but I can't deny his greatness)
2. Roger Clemens (same as Bonds)
3. Gregg Maddux (should be unanimous but some idiot is going to leave him out, or a blank ballot will be sent)
4. Larry Walker (Park adjusted stats show he wasn't a Coors product like Bichette, also good defender and baserunner)
5. Frank Thomas (The Big Hurt...do I really need to explain this?)
6. Curt Schilling (total ass but still a great player, posted multiple Cy Young caliber seasons but some dudes named Randy Johnson and Johan Santana were better those years)
7. Mike Mussina (underrated pitcher who deserves a Cy Young award, also his WAR of 82.7 is more than enough for me)
8. Tom Glavine (I think he's a bit overrated because of the 300 wins but he had some great seasons and will definitely get in with Maddux)
9. Jeff Bagwell (Great all around 1B who ran the bases well and was a solid fielder, his offensive numbers are pretty good too)
10. Edgar Martinez (I don't think he should be penalized for being a DH)

I really wish they would get rid of the stupid 10 ballots only, because I wanted to vote for Biggio, Trammel, Raines, McGwire, and Piazza.

I don't see how anyone could rationally vote for Walker over Piazza

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barry Bonds
Roger Clemens
Tom Glavine
Greg Maddux
Jack Morris
Mike Mussina
Rafael Palmeiro
Mike Piazza
Curt Schilling
Alan Trammell

I'm adjusting my list, in another year I'd vote for Schilling but after looking back, I can't rationally vote for Schilling over Thomas at this time

Barry Bonds
Roger Clemens
Tom Glavine
Greg Maddux
Jack Morris
Mike Mussina
Rafael Palmeiro
Mike Piazza
Frank Thomas
Alan Trammell

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how anyone could rationally vote for Walker over Piazza

More fWAR in like 60 more games played. Also a career OBP of .400 is pretty damn crazy. I think both should be in at some point, but I think there is a case for both this year.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More fWAR in like 60 more games played. Also a career OBP of .400 is pretty damn crazy. I think both should be in at some point, but I think there is a case for both this year.

The fact that Piazza was a catcher, bad defense or not, gives him the edge to me

jamesx122

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that Piazza was a catcher, bad defense or not, gives him the edge to me

I think Piazza is a Hall of Famer and should get in but I just don't think he's better than the Walker. Like Rev posted Walker has a higher fWAR than Piazza (69.0 to 63.6) and a higher bWAR (72.6 to 59.2) both of which give Piazza a bonus for being a catcher while penalizing Walker for being a right fielder.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Piazza is a Hall of Famer and should get in but I just don't think he's better than the Walker. Like Rev posted Walker has a higher fWAR than Piazza (69.0 to 63.6) and a higher bWAR (72.6 to 59.2) both of which give Piazza a bonus for being a catcher while penalizing Walker for being a right fielder.

They don't give him credit for difficulty of remaining healthy at the position, there's a reason he's the all-time leader at almost every offensive category at catcher

Walker is just another HOFish RFer to me, and he might not have benefited as much as a Bichette from Coors, but his numbers certainly took an upswing the moment he put on a Rockies uni

While Piazza did most of his damage in Chavez Ravine, and he's still the BEST OFFENSIVE catcher of all time

jamesx122

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They don't give him credit for difficulty of remaining healthy at the position, there's a reason he's the all-time leader at almost every offensive category at catcher

Walker is just another HOFish RFer to me, and he might not have benefited as much as a Bichette from Coors, but his numbers certainly took an upswing the moment he put on a Rockies uni

While Piazza did most of his damage in Chavez Ravine, and he's still the BEST OFFENSIVE catcher of all time

If you look at Walker's WRC+ which is again park adjusted it's at 140 (higher than Reggie Jackson's and the same as Piazza) so while he did benefit from being in Coors it's not like Bichette's WRC+ which is a grand 104. Walker was also a legitimate 5 tool player who defended his position very well with good range and a cannon for an arm, and was a great baserunner as well.

Piazza is the best offensive catcher of all time sure and that will get him into the hall of fame, and frankly his defensive abilities have been pretty unfairly derided because of his weak throwing arm. Also the positional adjustment WAR gives to catchers is because of how difficult it is to play the position.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you look at Walker's WRC+ which is again park adjusted it's at 140 (higher than Reggie Jackson's and the same as Piazza) so while he did benefit from being in Coors it's not like Bichette's WRC+ which is a grand 104. Walker was also a legitimate 5 tool player who defended his position very well with good range and a cannon for an arm, and was a great baserunner as well.

Piazza is the best offensive catcher of all time sure and that will get him into the hall of fame, and frankly his defensive abilities have been pretty unfairly derided because of his weak throwing arm. Also the positional adjustment WAR gives to catchers is because of how difficult it is to play the position.

Still gotta give the edge to Piazza

Maybe next year Walker

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BTW james, thanks for realizing the purpose and backing your choice of Walker with some numbers when someone disagreed as opposed to the lesser road, kudos

jamesx122

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still gotta give the edge to Piazza

Maybe next year Walker

That's fair, they're both great players who should get into the Hall. The only thing stopping Piazza is those whispers of PED use with no evidence at all except his acne.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Must have been someone who has a problem with the thought of someone getting in unanimously. Because other than that there is no valid reason.

There is no valid reason. More reasons the Hall of Fame is a farce.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I'm gonna make a statement by leaving off a top 10 (if not top 5) pitcher of all-time off the ballot in favor of an above average pitcher!"

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Idiots like this should lose their ballots, really? you voted for one fucking person? and it was Jack Fucking Morris?

When I become Commissioner only those in the Hall will vote for who gets to join them.

Five HOFers will serve four staggered terms to draft a 15-player annual ballot that the entire membership votes on. Membership votes for 5 of the 15 with 5-4-3-2-1 points. Only five players (and ties) get admitted with a stipulation that a player must have at least one first place vote.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Palmeiro's permanently off the ballot. I know statistics and achievements are all that should matter for entry into the Hall, but from a personality standpoint I couldn't be more happy he won't be enshrined. He was/is easily one of the biggest self-absorbed, masochistic, a-holes I have ever encountered. I have too many stories of encounters with him, both my own and those of acquaintances, that paint him to be the jerk he is. Maybe he deserves enshrinement, but I can't help but derive a little selfish satisfaction he's not getting in.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Palmeiro's permanently off the ballot. I know statistics and achievements are all that should matter for entry into the Hall, but from a personality standpoint I couldn't be more happy he won't be enshrined. He was/is easily one of the biggest self-absorbed, masochistic, a-holes I have ever encountered. I have too many stories of encounters with him, both my own and those of acquaintances, that paint him to be the jerk he is. Maybe he deserves enshrinement, but I can't help but derive a little selfish satisfaction he's not getting in.

He does deserve it, and I wish people would leave all that personal bullshit out of their decision making. I hate the hall of fame for that reason.