• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

HOF Ballot

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're all bored.... and I don't think anyone has ever proposed this before... should be a good debate

Voters get to choose 10 from this list... who's your 10?

Player Years on ballot
† Moisés Alou 1st
Jeff Bagwell 4th
† Armando Benítez 1st
Craig Biggio 2nd
Barry Bonds 2nd
† Sean Casey 1st
Roger Clemens 2nd
† Ray Durham 1st
† Éric Gagné 1st
† Tom Glavine 1st
† Luis Gonzalez 1st
† Jacque Jones 1st
† Todd Jones 1st
† Jeff Kent 1st
† Paul Lo Duca 1st
† Greg Maddux 1st
Edgar Martínez 5th
Don Mattingly 14th
Fred McGriff 5th
Mark McGwire 8th
Jack Morris 15th
† Mike Mussina 1st
† Hideo Nomo 1st
Rafael Palmeiro 4th
Mike Piazza 2nd
Tim Raines 7th
† Kenny Rogers 1st
Curt Schilling 2nd
† Richie Sexson 1st
Lee Smith 12th
† J. T. Snow 1st
Sammy Sosa 2nd
† Frank Thomas 1st
† Mike Timlin 1st
Alan Trammell 13th
Larry Walker 4th

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barry Bonds
Roger Clemens
Tom Glavine
Greg Maddux
Jack Morris
Mike Mussina
Rafael Palmeiro
Mike Piazza
Curt Schilling
Alan Trammell

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey guys, Check out JTA'S HOF thread

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frank Thomas
Curt Schilling
Kenny Rogers
Jack Morris
Greg Maddux
Tom Glavin
Rafael Palmeiro
Mike Piazza
Roger Clements
Jeff Bagwell

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're all bored.... and I don't think anyone has ever proposed this before... should be a good debate

Voters get to choose 10 from this list... who's your 10?

Player Years on ballot
† Moisés Alou 1st
Jeff Bagwell 4th
† Armando Benítez 1st
Craig Biggio 2nd
Barry Bonds 2nd
† Sean Casey 1st
Roger Clemens 2nd
† Ray Durham 1st
† Éric Gagné 1st
† Tom Glavine 1st
† Luis Gonzalez 1st
† Jacque Jones 1st
† Todd Jones 1st
† Jeff Kent 1st
† Paul Lo Duca 1st
† Greg Maddux 1st
Edgar Martínez 5th
Don Mattingly 14th
Fred McGriff 5th
Mark McGwire 8th
Jack Morris 15th
† Mike Mussina 1st
† Hideo Nomo 1st
Rafael Palmeiro 4th
Mike Piazza 2nd
Tim Raines 7th
† Kenny Rogers 1st
Curt Schilling 2nd
† Richie Sexson 1st
Lee Smith 12th
† J. T. Snow 1st
Sammy Sosa 2nd
† Frank Thomas 1st
† Mike Timlin 1st
Alan Trammell 13th
Larry Walker 4th

I don't care about PEDs so I would not discriminate based on that.

Glavine
Maddux
Bonds (Huge jackass)
McGwire
Thomas
Palmeiro
Biggio
Clemens (I hate him so much)
Schilling
Sosa

Really some of these are toss up. Bagwell is a bubble guy. He put up a lot of career war, so really he or Biggio could be swapped out.

I am also only voting for people I am old enough to have seen play for a good portion of their career. Sorry to guys like Trammel, Mattingly, and Jack Morris.

Last edited by a moderator:

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Greg Maddux
Tom Glavin
Mike Piazza
Jeff Bagwell
Craig Biggio
Alan Trammell
Edgar Martínez
Mike Piazza
Lee Smith

Guys on my list ... Biggio and Bagwell (you can't separate them), Maddux and Glavin (can't separate them either), Trammell, Piazza, Smith ... and the archtypical DH Edgar Martinez need to be in the HOF by the simple measure ... How They Played the Game.

I give a rat squat about some stats means of establishing who is HOF and who isn't. What I do care about is that cheaters ought to not even be on the ballot: Bonds, Clemens, McGwire, Palmero.

Nice thread JTA ... thanks.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm betting on maddux, glavin, thomas, and biggio making it and they deserve it, no dobut

but hof voting is as dumb as mvp voting, imo. until pete rose gets in it's all just a fucking joke

ped were ubiquitous in the sport and mlb and the players union were fine with it until congress got involved. not fair to fuck over clemens and company, imo.

they named the DH award after EDGAR MARTINEZ, and it's a travesty that he's not getting voted in. if he had played shitty 1st base for a few years longer, he'd probably be a shoo in. so styupid.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I give a rat squat about some stats means of establishing who is HOF and who isn't. What I do care about is that cheaters ought to not even be on the ballot: Bonds, Clemens, McGwire, Palmero.

I don't consider what they did cheating. Not when guys in the 80s before them did it with no punishment. Also not when guys like Hank Aaron admit to taking greenies. PEDs don't make you hit home runs.

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bonds
Clemens
Glavine
Maddux
Edgar Martinez
McGwire
Piazza
Raines
Sosa
Thomas

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greg Maddux
Tom Glavin
Mike Piazza
Jeff Bagwell
Craig Biggio
Alan Trammell
Edgar Martínez
Mike Piazza
Lee Smith

Guys on my list ... Biggio and Bagwell (you can't separate them), Maddux and Glavin (can't separate them either), Trammell, Piazza, Smith ... and the archtypical DH Edgar Martinez need to be in the HOF by the simple measure ... How They Played the Game.

Nice thread JTA ... thanks.

My list is exactly like yours, except I would have Frank Thomas over Craig Biggio. I would also add Jack Morris (you only listed 9).

I still don't buy it that the steroids being taken in the 90's and early 2000's didn't cause guys to hit more HR's. Brady Anderson and Bret Boone both went from being 10 HR/season guys to magically hitting over 50. Barry Bonds was a 30/30 guy in his days in Pittsburgh. Then he moves to SF, his head swells to 8 times its former size, and suddenly he's hitting 60+ HR a season. Not a coincidence. I'm sure that there are guys in the Hall who cheated. But there wasn't an investigation and conclusive evidence against them. There is plenty of evidence against McGwire, Canseco, Clemens, Sosa, Bonds, and Palmeiro. They knew they were skirting the rules by taking steroids. Otherwise they wouldn't have been so covert and deceitful about it. The fact that they lied to Congress about it and the fact that every last one of them (except for Sosa) is a gigantic a-hole is just the icing on the cake.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My list is exactly like yours, except I would have Frank Thomas over Craig Biggio. I would also add Jack Morris (you only listed 9).

I still don't buy it that the steroids being taken in the 90's and early 2000's didn't cause guys to hit more HR's. Brady Anderson and Bret Boone both went from being 10 HR/season guys to magically hitting over 50. Barry Bonds was a 30/30 guy in his days in Pittsburgh. Then he moves to SF, his head swells to 8 times its former size, and suddenly he's hitting 60+ HR a season. Not a coincidence. I'm sure that there are guys in the Hall who cheated. But there wasn't an investigation and conclusive evidence against them. There is plenty of evidence against McGwire, Canseco, Clemens, Sosa, Bonds, and Palmeiro. They knew they were skirting the rules by taking steroids. Otherwise they wouldn't have been so covert and deceitful about it. The fact that they lied to Congress about it and the fact that every last one of them (except for Sosa) is a gigantic a-hole is just the icing on the cake.

Will ... am with you. I didn't list them in a priority order but your addition of Frank Thomas is a good one ... and Jack Morris too ... I just can't separate Biggio and Bagwell ... they were two guys who played like one. Kinda corny I know ... and am not an Astro fan ... but both are what we call 'honest baseball players'.

Also ... thanks for the commentary on those who shall always remain shamed. Add AR to the list as soon as he's done. He may have already played his last game ... but actually hope he hangs on and ties up a NYY roster spot for another three or four years.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could care less about PEDs until the game officially banned them, if the game didn't care then I don't, the only reason baseball bounced back like it did after the strike is b/c of the excitement caused by the HR chases

Therefore speculation & heresay of the 90s matters not at all to me, baseball tried to cash in on PEDs, these guys shouldn't be punished AFTER the fact

There were actually about 20 guys I would've voted for but left off b/c of close calls

All-time HR leader should be in, 300 win guys should be in, all-time hit leader should be in, guys with 3000 hits should be in (maybe next time Biggio)

500 HR club I'm a little more iffy on, Edgar Martinez I'm iffy on, maybe if he had actually played more

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't consider what they did cheating. Not when guys in the 80s before them did it with no punishment. Also not when guys like Hank Aaron admit to taking greenies. PEDs don't make you hit home runs.

So since Butch Cassidy and Sundance never got caught ... robbing banks is okay? The guys who got caught or lied to Congress need to be in jail.

But while on the subject since it was brought up ... at least Pete Rose didn't cheat on the field ... until Rose is in ... the HOF is a joke.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So since Butch Cassidy and Sundance never got caught ... robbing banks is okay? The guys who got caught or lied to Congress need to be in jail.

But while on the subject since it was brought up ... at least Pete Rose didn't cheat on the field ... until Rose is in ... the HOF is a joke.

rational adults now understand that PED use was ubiquitous in MLB for decades before congress got involved. mlb and the players union turned a blind eye to it until some idiot politicians in congress got involved and decided to try to score some cheap points with narrow minded constituents.

congress went after the most high profile athletes, so of course the clemmens', mcgwires', bonds', etc were the ones the media focused on.

how vapid do you have to be to not realize this? just imagine if congress turned the same inquisitive eye toward the NFL, where we all know PED use is also ubiquitous. they'd be voted out the very next term because it's tacitly accepted that NFL players juice like fucking prize horses in the triple crown.

wake up and think like a rational human being.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Far as I know it's called the Hall of Fame and not the Hall of supremely moral and upstanding citizen. The 10 I chose helped grow the game and did great things for baseball and I feel they should be enshrined because of it.

I believe in the non aggression principle, so the bank robbery fallacy you suggested is irrelevant to me. They hurt no one and threatened the safety of no one so I have zero issues with it. It's their body.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could care less about PEDs until the game officially banned them, if the game didn't care then I don't, the only reason baseball bounced back like it did after the strike is b/c of the excitement caused by the HR chases

Therefore speculation & heresay of the 90s matters not at all to me, baseball tried to cash in on PEDs, these guys shouldn't be punished AFTER the fact

There were actually about 20 guys I would've voted for but left off b/c of close calls

All-time HR leader should be in, 300 win guys should be in, all-time hit leader should be in, guys with 3000 hits should be in (maybe next time Biggio)

500 HR club I'm a little more iffy on, Edgar Martinez I'm iffy on, maybe if he had actually played more

Piazza is a guy that I think deserves it, but because I only had 10 votes I cannot take everyone in on year if I am a voter. Really you can make a case for most of the guys we have all been voting for in the thread. I don't see anyone voting for Richie Sexson haha.

Tom Grieve loves Richie Sexson....

“If Kason Gabbard’s going to hit anybody, he’s going to hit one of their good hitters — he’s not going to Richie Sexson. You got a chance to hit Ibanez, you got a chance to hit Beltre — two good hitters. You got a guy coming up there who can’t hit water if he fell out of a boat. You’re going to throw at him?

That pitch wasn’t even close! That pitch is a foot away from him! Boy that is a gutless, 6’7″, .200-hitting, formerly good player. What a joke.”

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Far as I know it's called the Hall of Fame and not the Hall of supremely moral and upstanding citizen. The 10 I chose helped grow the game and did great things for baseball and I feel they should be enshrined because of it.

I believe in the non aggression principle, so the bank robbery fallacy you suggested is irrelevant to me. They hurt no one and threatened the safety of no one so I have zero issues with it. It's their body.

Well I agree to disagree ... put the cheaters on your ballot ... but I'll wager all my VCash that none of the peds cheaters ever get a sniff of being voted in ... especially those who raised their hands and swore to tell the truth on camera before Congress. Plus that Rodriguez spare.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
rational adults now understand that PED use was ubiquitous in MLB for decades before congress got involved. mlb and the players union turned a blind eye to it until some idiot politicians in congress got involved and decided to try to score some cheap points with narrow minded constituents.

congress went after the most high profile athletes, so of course the clemmens', mcgwires', bonds', etc were the ones the media focused on.

how vapid do you have to be to not realize this? just imagine if congress turned the same inquisitive eye toward the NFL, where we all know PED use is also ubiquitous. they'd be voted out the very next term because it's tacitly accepted that NFL players juice like fucking prize horses in the triple crown.

wake up and think like a rational human being.

The insults are kinda pointless, its opinion, all are valid here, it think it shows an important difference in opinion even among the average fan as to what is HOF worthy

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I agree to disagree ... put the cheaters on your ballot ... but I'll wager all my VCash that none of the peds cheaters ever get a sniff of being voted in ... especially those who raised their hands and swore to tell the truth on camera before Congress. Plus that Rodriguez spare.

Why is Congress suddenly the paragon of all morality and righteousness? Those corrupt fucks have no business asking MLB players what they do to their own bodies.