• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Hockey town vists Football town for baseball?

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sonny Gray was supposed to pitch today for Oakland but reported some "hip soreness" after his last start and the As decided to shut him down for the season.

Zito wont make it to the 4th inning. This really is a ceremonial start. As just being the As.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Baseball is a weird game. I'm not holding my breath, but maybe Zito has one last bit of magic in him. I'm not happy about a red hot Angels team coming to Arlington. They're streaky, but when that lineup gets hot, look out. Winning tonight and tomorrow would be huge.
I really hope to see our starting pitching get going. That would make me feel a whole lot more comfortable about things.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sonny Gray was supposed to pitch today for Oakland but reported some "hip soreness" after his last start and the As decided to shut him down for the season.

Zito wont make it to the 4th inning. This really is a ceremonial start. As just being the As.

Season's over, why risk injury? Don't see any problem with this move on their part, sucks for us a little but teams do this every year

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really hope to see our starting pitching get going. That would make me feel a whole lot more comfortable about things.
Me also but it's hard to believe Derek is going to improve enough that quickly. He has been awful and I don't see him at his best this soon. Hope I'm wrong because he and Perez could end this thing if they fall through now.

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Season's over, why risk injury? Don't see any problem with this move on their part, sucks for us a little but teams do this every year

Oh I get it from As perspective. You know the Angels are loving it.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some say you're only as good as your last game, and Perez was pretty decent in that middle game against Houston. He kept them in a game where they had a serious chance to win. I know he's been up and down since he's been back from Tommy John surgery, but I have more confidence in him right now than Holland.

Colby is good, and one hell of a competitor. But if his slider isn't working, he's pretty much batting practice.

Senator_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If Rangers, Angels and Astros tie the Angels are automatically in post season.
Game 163 would be Rangers and Astros. Winner faces Angels in game 164. Winner of that game is division champ, loser gets wildcard. This assumes Twins are not involved.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem's not with shutting down Sonny Gray. That move makes sense.

The problem is with them starting Barry Zito. That guy has no business being on a major league mound. The A's have plenty of journeyman or rookie options to throw out there in a spot start. Zito just recently decided to even attempt this "comeback". He has an 18.00 ERA.

Teams are supposed to field lineups that are competitive, at least within reason. Putting Barry Zito on the mound borders on just forfeiting.

Granted, he could surprise everyone and win today. It's not impossible. But he was washed up 2 years ago and has only regressed since then.

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Angels, Astros and Rangers are in a heated pennant race. You don't throw an old washed up has been on the mound in the middle of it against one of those competing teams. I understand the start against Hudson this past weekend. That was for nostalgia with 2 teams both essentially out of it in a meaningless game.

If you have to throw Zito you throw him this weekend against Seattle. I guarantee the As have plenty of better options for a spot start today. If anything throw Johnny Bullpen. As have an off day tomorrow.

Gray being hurt is one thing. But starting Zito is a clown move by the As.

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And FWIW, here's the other way this Zito start screws the Rangers:

Garrett Richards, the Angels ace, starts today. When the Angels have an 8-0 lead after 5 innings, my guess is Scoscia pulls Richards after 60-65 pitches thereby allowing him to come back on 3 days rest for a Sunday game with Texas.

This Zito start is really starting to tick me off.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And FWIW, here's the other way this Zito start screws the Rangers:

Garrett Richards, the Angels ace, starts today. When the Angels have an 8-0 lead after 5 innings, my guess is Scoscia pulls Richards after 60-65 pitches thereby allowing him to come back on 3 days rest for a Sunday game with Texas.

This Zito start is really starting to tick me off.
The fact remains regardless of 60-65 pitches he still had to do his in between work and pitch in the game and he would be cutting his routine short by 1 day. If the Angels were smart they would pitch someone else that is not a part of their regular rotation based on the fact they should bomb Zito.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Angels, Astros and Rangers are in a heated pennant race. You don't throw an old washed up has been on the mound in the middle of it against one of those competing teams. I understand the start against Hudson this past weekend. That was for nostalgia with 2 teams both essentially out of it in a meaningless game.

If you have to throw Zito you throw him this weekend against Seattle. I guarantee the As have plenty of better options for a spot start today. If anything throw Johnny Bullpen. As have an off day tomorrow.

Gray being hurt is one thing. But starting Zito is a clown move by the As.

Why? A's have nothing to gain or lose and they really could care less no matter who they put on the mound.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that you have to wonder about. Paxton miss much of the season and has been working himself back into form. You would think they would keep in his regular rotation against a good team to see how he is progressing instead of moving him into the final series with hapless Oakland. You can't help to think there is an underlying motive here considering they did not have King Felix pitch against the Astros about 3-4 weeks ago. Just thinking out loud here.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I'm overly confident but I'm just not that worried about the Astros at this point. It's only the Angels and what we do on the field.

That's exactly right. If we split against LA, we win period. Winning tonight does pretty much take Houston out of the equation, though.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I'm overly confident but I'm just not that worried about the Astros at this point. It's only the Angels and what we do on the field.
agree and have contended that we have to beat the team in front of us. Doing that may not be easy but it's what we need to do to clinch for sure.