• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Hockey town vists Football town for baseball?

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A win tomorrow would put us right on the verge of clinching.

I just was not THAT concerned about Houston b/c I knew they would stumble a few games. Anaheim on the other hand is super hot and the fact that we play them 4 times this week will be very interesting to watch. I need to find out how we've done against them head to head. Believe they've swept us one series but in Anaheim if I recall.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see Oakland is rolling out Barry Zito tomorrow. Now that's just not right.

And with the Angels jumping the Astros tonight, isn't the Rangers magic number still 4?

I believe you are correct that it's still 4 b/c of the Angels.

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like we'll have to beat the Angels twice to win the division no matter what we do tomorrow against Detroit.

Unless Barry Zito gets 10 years younger tomorrow and beats the Angels.

Like I said, we're gonna have to beat the Angels twice.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas is 5-10 against Anaheim this year. 1-5 at home and 4-5 on the road.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like we'll have to beat the Angels twice to win the division no matter what we do tomorrow against Detroit.

Unless Barry Zito gets 10 years younger tomorrow and beats the Angels.

Like I said, we're gonna have to beat the Angels twice.

Shitty..... I guess beating Detroit tomorrow would mainly go towards the wild card or possibly forcing a tie with the Angels if they win 3 out of 4?

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always was going to come down to us beating the Angels head to head it seems. Gotta at least split, if both teams win today right?

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No just need 1 then, anyway gotta win tonight. If Richards goes tonight, I wouldn't think he's available in the series vs the Rangers, but I guess he could go on 3 days rest.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always was going to come down to us beating the Angels head to head it seems. Gotta at least split, if both teams win today right?
You are correct. If we only win 1 we would be tied and I really don't think we want to have a 1 game playoff to see who wins the AL West.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No just need 1 then, anyway gotta win tonight. If Richards goes tonight, I wouldn't think he's available in the series vs the Rangers, but I guess he could go on 3 days rest.
Incorrect. We are 2 games ahead of them in the loss column. If we win 1 that would put us up by 3 in the loss column with 3 to play. We would need to win 1 more to clinch it.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Incorrect. We are 2 games ahead of them in the loss column. If we win 1 that would put us up by 3 in the loss column with 3 to play. We would need to win 1 more to clinch it.

Couldn't remember if it was 2 1/2 or 2 games

In my defense, I was just about typing in my sleep. I rolled over and saw the Mariners had come back and won. Hoping for vintage Zito somehow and an Angels loss, but it seems we will have to take care of our own business. Just win Rangers!

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm no expert, but shouldn't a win today by the Rangers force the Angels to sweep us to win the division?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm no expert, but shouldn't a win today by the Rangers force the Angels to sweep us to win the division?

If we both win, the magic number is three. That means we need to beat them twice to clinch. However, if we get beat three times, we're headed to Anaheim for a one game play off. So really we've got 5 games to win twice.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we both win, the magic number is three. That means we need to beat them twice to clinch. However, if we get beat three times, we're headed to Anaheim for a one game play off. So really we've got 5 games to win twice.

If both Texas and Anaheim win tonight the magic number is still 3 so in that case we will still have to at least split with Anaheim this weekend to capture the division.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If both Texas and Anaheim win tonight the magic number is still 3 so in that case we will still have to at least split with Anaheim this weekend to capture the division.

Right. Regardless of what happens tonight, we have 5 games to win twice including a potential one game playoff against the Angels.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see Oakland is rolling out Barry Zito tomorrow. Now that's just not right.

And with the Angels jumping the Astros tonight, isn't the Rangers magic number still 4?
Pitching Barry Zito is purely a gimmick designed to generate interest in a dead club. They dug up his grave and revived him to pitch against Tim Hudson with Mark Mulder in attendance as part of a nostalgia game in the Bay Area. Now, in truly a "we honestly don't give a shit anymore about winning" move, they've left him in their rotation for one last start.

It's a garbage move from a garbage franchise. However, as much as it hurts us, it's gotta REALLY piss off the Astros. They're now half a game behind the Angels and NEED them to lose to even have a chance. We don't need the Angels to lose today. It would just help us out a little more.

Maybe Zito will reach back into the magic way-back machine for one final miracle performance before he is put back into storage for good.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pitching Barry Zito is purely a gimmick designed to generate interest in a dead club. They dug up his grave and revived him to pitch against Tim Hudson with Mark Mulder in attendance as part of a nostalgia game in the Bay Area. Now, in truly a "we honestly don't give a shit anymore about winning" move, they've left him in their rotation for one last start.

It's a garbage move from a garbage franchise. However, as much as it hurts us, it's gotta REALLY piss off the Astros. They're now half a game behind the Angels and NEED them to lose to even have a chance. We don't need the Angels to lose today. It would just help us out a little more.

Maybe Zito will reach back into the magic way-back machine for one final miracle performance before he is put back into storage for good.

Believe Zito is retiring after this season so he may really put everything he has left into this start. Not expecting anything by any means but it's baseball and it can be really weird.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Believe Zito is retiring after this season so he may really put everything he has left into this start. Not expecting anything by any means but it's baseball and it can be really weird.

Exactly. Baseball is a weird game. I'm not holding my breath, but maybe Zito has one last bit of magic in him. I'm not happy about a red hot Angels team coming to Arlington. They're streaky, but when that lineup gets hot, look out. Winning tonight and tomorrow would be huge.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

it definitely will take some magic.