• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Bengals: A Look at the Competition

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The next team in this series of presumed contenders is the Cincinnati Bengals. The Bengals are an interesting team. They're good enough to be riding a 5-year consecutive playoff run, not good enough to have won a single playoff game in that stretch. In fact, Marvin Lewis is 0-7 now in the playoffs with the Bengals. The last one was especially painful, though to unbiased viewers it made for great theater. The Bengals offense may not be quite as good as the Steelers, but they have a better defense. They had a heck of a season last year even with Dalton losing significant playing time.

The Broncos and Bengals played a late season "battle of the backups" that altered the AFC playoff landscape. Both teams finished 12-4, but with the Broncos owning the tie breaker they would get the #1 playoff seed while the Bengals, also at 12-4 would play as the #3 seed on Wild Card weekend. And we all know how that ended.

While picking a winner in the AFC North is a crap shoot, the Bengals appear to be the most complete team. The Steelers in all likelihood have the better offense, it's not by much. The Steelers addressed their deficiencies on defense through the draft. Translation: it'll be a couple years before that unit comes of age. Then you have the injury factor. Ben Roethlisberger always seems to take a hit or two that sidelines him for a couple weeks. And the Bengals showed they are better poised to react to the loss of their QB. While I am not one to regularly practice the "what if" dialogue, it's hard not to blame Bengals fans who speculate about what might have been had Dalton not been injured. The Bengals went 2-2 in his absence, with losses @ Steelers and @ Broncos.

Key games:

Weeks 2, 15: Steelers. Unless you've been living under a rock, no explanation required.

Week 3: vs Broncos. An early game won't carry the drama nor will it be weighted as heavily as last year's late season tilt with the Broncos, but this game could once again greatly influence the shape of the AFC playoff landscape.

Week 6: @ Patriots. If the Bengals want to be taken seriously as a contender they are going to need to go into the Pats' house and rough them up. With the Patriots still looking like contenders, even without Brady for 4 games, this game has major playoff seeding implications.

Week 16: @ Texans. While this may not jump out as a huge key matchup at a glance, it really is. The Texans and Bengals alike are "up and comers" both of whom have an opportunity to make this season the year in which they take the next major step forward.

While I will never rule out the Steelers for winning this division, I am picking the Bengals as of now. They've steadily improved and held their own (in the regular season) for 5 consecutive years now. I think this year they will be in the thick of it for a first round bye and won't be surprised at all to see them repeat last year's 12-4 playoff record and push for a first round playoff bye. Another thought: I wouldn't want to be the their first playoff opponent. Teams on streaks, in this case a bad playoff streak, scare the shit out of me for some reason.

Your thoughts?

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good analysis on whole division. I do think however the Steelers D showed just how close they are to " coming of age " when they played Denver in playoffs. I'll go ahead and pick them to win div. Dalton might lose his job this year. Think Flacco looks like the " real " Flacco again this year and they finish 3rd.. It is one of,if not the most nasty physical div in football vs each other. Even Cleveland games,defense wise,cause problems for 3 qtrs anyway.Never complain about either of them matching up on Sun or Mon night. You know your going to some ruff stuff for sure. Love that rivalry.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Randy. I agree, it's hard to pick against the Steelers. But it's hard to pick them outright, too. It seems like every year they'll have a very important piece of their team miss some serious playing time. As for the Ravens, I definitely think they will be better, but when a solid team like the Ravens goes "tits-up" for a season it's really hard to peg to what extent they will return to their winning ways. Especially a team in the AFC North. I think they'll split with both the Bengals and Steelers, but still be an 8-8 or 7-9 team.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Bengals lost the best coach on their staff this year with Hue Jackson leaving ..

Is Dalton really a better QB than McCarron ?? .. Is that a testament to McCarron, or, just the fact that Dalton isn;t that great ... Both Dalton and Marvin Lewis have yet to show that they can win on the big stage ..

Other than being comprised of a group of players who have either shown no discipline or class and guys like Lewis and Dalton who can't win semi-big games, what is this team's identity ??

I do like Nick Vigil and Westerman as draft picks, but . . .

The Steelers were decimated by injuries and still were a lot scarier to face than the Bengals

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me? Well I don't want to get political here, but I'd probably be better than any of the candidates we have to pick from!
Wish Kerry would have run. He'd win hands down over those idiots. " clowns to the left of me ", " jokers to the right " pretty much sums it up.:)

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Springstein should have run. He would be so worried about the country's direction - nothing would get by him.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Springstein should have run. He would be so worried about the country's direction - nothing would get by him.
I can't think of anything I'm less interested in being involved in than politics. :thumb:

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That proves you are the right person for the job!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That proves you are the right person for the job!

That's the problem though that the people who are probably most qualified to actually do a good job want nothing to do with the job.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's also some really bright,qualified people out there that just don't have the millions of dollars it takes to run a campaign. They don't have mommy and daddy money.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love this series of thoughtful NFL treats IKno.

I don't believe in Dalton being a big game QB, therefore I don't believe in the Bengal's chances to prevail in the playoffs. I will say - I have always had a love for this team (having once lived in Cincy) - they always have interesting and sometimes great players. The remind me in the present day of the old Cleveland Browns era when the Broncos would always beat them on the way to the Super Bowl.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad you liked it, Mingo. I limited it to the team's I think are most likely to win their divisions though I'll admit, the Steelers probably deserve their own thread too.