• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

"Hip Drop" tackle banned.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can pull a guy down from behind, what you cannot do is land on the back of his legs. Drop to the side of his legs is fine. There is a line and that line is the hands on the hips and drop onto the legs. Now from what I understand, you can also tackle the legs from behind, you just can't put your hands on his hips to do so. There are a couple of Rugby video's that show the difference in the banned rear tackle and the ok one when it comes to this type of "hip drop" technique. Basically, "hip drop" the turf, not the legs.

Exactly.

Now answer me this. Do you trust the refs to get this call right? Even 50% of the time?

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly.

Now answer me this. Do you trust the refs to get this call right? Even 50% of the time?
I believe 5 Running backs and Wr (including Aman St Brown) were fined for lowering their heads by the league post games... Non of these were called on the field. This could be a bigger concern than the calls on the field for players.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who mentioned that?
Sports is 2 phase. one is employment the other entertainment and both culminate in profit

The post I responded to lamented the dangerous play and goonery being taken out of hockey

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of this rule needs to be if a defender has you with two hands you must go down. Its not flag football, its two hand touch.
The pushback on this is odd to me.

Nobody comes up being taught to tackle this way. Just as nobody comes up being taught to come in like a human missile with your head down.

Both can work in certain situations. But I have no issue with either being penalized.

Also will be okay with some of the hip drop tackles that draw a flag. Preventing a TD is worth the infraction.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome to flag football ladies and gentlemen. Not only are they treating the QBs with kid gloves but now the rest of the players will get the same treatment. NFL- Not For Long..

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nobody comes up being taught to tackle this way. Just as nobody comes up being taught to come in like a human missile with your head down.

Both can work in certain situations. But I have no issue with either being penalized.

Also will be okay with some of the hip drop tackles that draw a flag. Preventing a TD is worth the infraction.
This is a physical game, and defenders are being chastised for getting stiff armed, leapt over or bulled over by an angry run. You have that happen to a guy once and he is going to do anything to get the runner down.

I am just saying there are people claiming we are leading to flag goofball, and you will never get there if you dont tell the runner to stop at some point.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a physical game, and defenders are being chastised for getting stiff armed, leapt over or bulled over by an angry run. You have that happen to a guy once and he is going to do anything to get the runner down.

I am just saying there are people claiming we are leading to flag goofball, and you will never get there if you dont tell the runner to stop at some point.

Those same defenders still throw shoulders and launch head first to make big hits instead of tackling. Hip drop tackles are just another example of lazy mechanics.

Janus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The post I responded to lamented the dangerous play and goonery being taken out of hockey
your perspective, not mine. Those things equalized a portion of the game. They weren't eliminated because they were dangerous ( as you may think ) They were eliminated for ratings and profit just like any other change in physical sport.
Sport was not broadcast for profit but rather amusement, entertainment and challenge. profit was the last thing participants expected.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those same defenders still throw shoulders and launch head first to make big hits instead of tackling. Hip drop tackles are just another example of lazy mechanics.
The only reason you are even attempting this is because the runner is already past you., so if you do not want to be cut on Monday, you tackle him. That is the reality of todays NFL. In the NBA, it is called being put on a poster, in the NFL, Kyle Brant is losing his mind because you just got trucked. Next time you are getting him down.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tackle?

Lost art.
mostly among DB's.
NO WANT TO.
That is the thing. They need to teach the young ones to tackle, again. Get ready for it :)

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it still legal to grab a guy by the hair, a guy with really long hair, and bring him down?
Not a pretty tackle for sure, but if you say you don’t want to see it … you are lying.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grab that pony ass tail and slam the fucker into the ground. Is that prohibited yet? Asking for a friend …

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To me, it is not the tackle itself, the ruling on how they define it is not great. NFL officials are an absolute joke, and we have already seen the results of vague rulings like this. The rule change is going to swing multiple games on terrible officiating. I think they get this one right as often as they do roughing the passer.

I think we are in for years of adjustments and fine-tuning causing significant issues like the league had after screwing up "what is a catch"

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grab that pony ass tail and slam the fucker into the ground. Is that prohibited yet? Asking for a friend …
tell your friend.
Nope. He's still good!
Just dont grab the pontytail & drop your weight on the back of his legs. But by all means slam that ass to the ground all you want! :thumb:

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tell your friend.
Nope. He's still good!
Just dont grab the pontytail & drop your weight on the back of his legs. But by all means slam that ass to the ground all you want! :thumb:
Haha, my friend all in good fun. Been a long ride.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That move is freaking dangerous. Look at how it took out Van in that game in Dallas: