• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Here's where Wade should sign if he's bought out...

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither will Shaq. Dude owns something like 60 franchises. And still get sponsorship deals and is a tv analyst.

But we all knew Shaq was a tv personality from day 1. He was always going to be on tv when his playing career was done.

Dude, Shaq was going thru it after he stopped playing. He had money. But, no purpose.

"...I was actually caught by surprise when [TNT] called me ... The first three months [after retiring from the NBA], I won’t use the word ‘depression,’ because I know depression is real. But when you do something the same for 20 years and it all stops, like I would wake up and just do stuff that I had never done before -- like go outside and get the paper, look at the birds, go to the store and buy bread. It was killing me that I didn’t have anything to do. So once I got that call, it was actually a relief. Because I had left [the NBA] year early. I had a two-year deal in Boston and then I blew my Achilles out. So when I was at home every day by myself, it was awful.”

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, Shaq was going thru it after he stopped playing. He had money. But, no purpose.

"...I was actually caught by surprise when [TNT] called me ... The first three months [after retiring from the NBA], I won’t use the word ‘depression,’ because I know depression is real. But when you do something the same for 20 years and it all stops, like I would wake up and just do stuff that I had never done before -- like go outside and get the paper, look at the birds, go to the store and buy bread. It was killing me that I didn’t have anything to do. So once I got that call, it was actually a relief. Because I had left [the NBA] year early. I had a two-year deal in Boston and then I blew my Achilles out. So when I was at home every day by myself, it was awful.”

WHOA.

Thanks for sharing.

I had no idea.

ManuForever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. That would be smart. Gasol off the bench could really help him.
He played spectacular off the bench when Dedmon was starting last year. His shooting % (overall and from deep especially) improved. It's the best option.

This is one of the reasons I'm cool with Miami not having a chance at him. Bosh eventually had to play center, and although not thrilled with it, he knew it would help the team win and did it anyway.

As long as Aldridge's on the Spurs, I don't think they'll ever win a title. When its time to step up, he looks around and hopes someone else does it.
Spot. fucking. on.

Kawhi went down and everyone was looking to him to be THE GUY that carried the Spurs. Instead, Jonathon Simmons, a guy who I believe was in his 2nd YEAR, outshined him in every way possible. I want Aldridge out, and as far as I know, so does the majority of Spurs fans. He had 2 good games in a playoff series against OKC and then faded out. I don't know what the guy's issue is, but he needs to go. If he can't handle being #2 behind Kawhi, then he's gotta go. Cause he is not worthy of #1.

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think most professional athletes are not well-rounded people. They are forced to focus on their one activity -- and given the attention they get (particularly NBA-caliber players) -- they aren't normal people.

I'm not that surprised that players like Shaq (bet Kobe is going through it also) -- have a big void when they stop playing.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think most professional athletes are not well-rounded people. They are forced to focus on their one activity -- and given the attention they get (particularly NBA-caliber players) -- they aren't normal people.

I'm not that surprised that players like Shaq (bet Kobe is going through it also) -- have a big void when they stop playing.

From what I've read and heard, Kobe really isn't going through anything like Shaq did. It seems like Kobe knew that he was going to need something to occupy his time once he no longer had basketball. So he spent the last several years of his career getting businesses, foundation, etc. set up to occupy his time and give him challenges.

I'm sure there is a part of him that misses the NBA and all that comes with it. How could he not? But so far, he looks like he's handling it a lot better than Shaq did.

I think a lot of it has to do with the tutelage of Dr. Buss who kind of took Kobe under his wing and started letting him know early on that he would need something to do when basketball was over (he did the same with Magic). Shaq never really allowed himself to get close to Dr. Buss like Kobe did.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me all athletes should be more than athletes. They should expand their surroundings. For most of them it won't last long. You have to do something for the rest of your life and that often is outside sports.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I've read and heard, Kobe really isn't going through anything like Shaq did. It seems like Kobe knew that he was going to need something to occupy his time once he no longer had basketball. So he spent the last several years of his career getting businesses, foundation, etc. set up to occupy his time and give him challenges.

I'm sure there is a part of him that misses the NBA and all that comes with it. How could he not? But so far, he looks like he's handling it a lot better than Shaq did.

I think a lot of it has to do with the tutelage of Dr. Buss who kind of took Kobe under his wing and started letting him know early on that he would need something to do when basketball was over (he did the same with Magic). Shaq never really allowed himself to get close to Dr. Buss like Kobe did.
Kobe has made investments and developed a routine early - and he spends a lot of time with his girls. The Lakers for that matter would love to get him involved and he said flat out that he would love to engagements here and there like Shaq's statute, but he was not interested in the grind of coaching or other stuff on a daily basis.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me all athletes should be more than athletes. They should expand their surroundings. For most of them it won't last long. You have to do something for the rest of your life and that often is outside sports.

Agree. The guys who are smart enough to start finding other productive things to do, whether it be businesses, real estate, broadcasting, etc., before their careers are over, are the ones that do the best after basketball is over and don't end up broke 5 years after they are out of the league.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sounds like its getting closer and closer to being Cleveland.

I gotta say- trade the pick- go for the title- and try and bring LeBron back.

get Marc Gasol, Cousins, Conley, Bledsoe- whoever- in here and give the Showers a run for their money

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sounds like its getting closer and closer to being Cleveland.

I gotta say- trade the pick- go for the title- and try and bring LeBron back.

get Marc Gasol, Cousins, Conley, Bledsoe- whoever- in here and give the Showers a run for their money

Cavs are definitely in an interesting spot. If they stand pat, they come out of the East, but likely get crushed by the Warriors again in the finals and Lebron likely leaves. However, they also get to start a rebuild with a high lottery pick after coming off a run to finals. I think the last time that happened was the mid-80's when the Showtime Lakers got James Worthy.

On the other hand, if they go all in and can get Lebron to stay, they have a punchers shot at one more ring before Lebron declines/retires, but they don't really get to jump start an inevitable rebuild like they could by standing pat.

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cavs are definitely in an interesting spot. If they stand pat, they come out of the East, but likely get crushed by the Warriors again in the finals and Lebron likely leaves. However, they also get to start a rebuild with a high lottery pick after coming off a run to finals. I think the last time that happened was the mid-80's when the Showtime Lakers got James Worthy.
On the other hand, if they go all in and can get Lebron to stay, they have a punchers shot at one more ring before Lebron declines/retires, but they don't really get to jump start an inevitable rebuild like they could by standing pat.

That's an interesting fact about Lakers & Worthy. The only thing I can think of that was close was the Pistons (EC Finals) when they choose Darko at #2. Particularly hearing a lot more about Darko's personality over time -- that looks like the Pistons did not do enough research and really didn't try to understand Darko upfront.

Think about how much different the Piston's franchise would have been if they took Melo instead of Darko. (Melo would have been their Offensive leader for a few years. Would they have won in Y2004 ? Would they have traded for Rasheed? Would they have kept Carlisle as coach?)

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly would love to see Wade on the Spurs.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its AT LEAST 60% he goes to the Cavs-- probably better

but man--- this team- between the owner, the star player, the trade of Irving, IT and his injury, all the guys...its a team filled with egos and expectations and big money.

Its basically the opposite of the Indians

the Indians are a great team with no egos- guys willing to do whatever it takes to win- no giagantic payroll, a great manager- and just good guys.

its refreshing not having to worry about Corey Kluber subtweeting his teammates or Paul Dolan calling out other owners for their trades or Jose Ramirez asking for a trade or Edwin Encarnacion complaining about his shots etc.

Both are GREAT teams- the Indians and Cavs....but they both go about it in two EXTREMELY different ways.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly would love to see Wade on the Spurs.
He will be starting next to LeBron again i get the feeling....

i expect him to be the Cavs starting 2 guard on opening night...all though i expect JR to get more minutes a game.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will be starting next to LeBron again i get the feeling....

i expect him to be the Cavs starting 2 guard on opening night...all though i expect JR to get more minutes a game.

I doubt it. Bulls ownership has always been cheap. I doubt that they buy Wade out before the first game. They'll likely play him until February where he then gets bought out and likely goes to Cleveland around the trade deadline.