• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Here is how you beat the Redskins

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gruden noted it, but I was struck by how the Steelers pretty much played zone defense the whole game and Kirk Cousins struggled to beat the zone. He lacks arm strength and seems to do a poor job of hitting the soft spots in a zone. When he did make the right read he was often a little off and it allowed defenders to catch up and make a play on the ball or the receiver.
You don't really need arm strength to beat zone defense is the thing. You just have to read the defense competently. I see it all the time with Alex Smith; this goes double if there's any kind of pocket to step into. That Steelers secondary still had some cringey moments when Cousins got around to throwing a half decent ball.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Norman is a great zone corner. And leaving him where he is, is the right move. You put him in man against the other team's top corner, and you neuter him doing what he does best. He's not a good man corner. Look at how Coates bullied him when he tried to bump. AB would have eaten his lunch all day if he tried to do that. Norman isn't strong or shifty enough to keep up with Brown.

The problem is, you need the rest of your defense to be able to play zone decently.

Also, you don't pay 15 million a year for a zone corner. That was Another Dumb Snyder Move ©.

Brown did nothing the few times they matched up. He was all over Brown the few times they were matched up

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't really need arm strength to beat zone defense is the thing. You just have to read the defense competently. I see it all the time with Alex Smith; this goes double if there's any kind of pocket to step into. That Steelers secondary still had some cringey moments when Cousins got around to throwing a half decent ball.

KC's timing was off last night. He was bouncing balls to recievers and throwing behind them a lot. Not sure if it is nerves of the big contract or what, but he looked like a rookie out there.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heh, Breeland was definitely bad all around last night, no doubt about it.

I think he got beat a few times early and then got mad. Then he got burned some more and he was fried mentally. That rushing TD late in the 4th caught everyone by surprise. Williams wasn't expecting to just step between the two tacklers, looked amazed that he could run into the endzone. Breeland needs a confidence boost this week and get his head straight for next week. As funny as it was for me to watch, he is better than he showed last night.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True, you can beat a zone with anticipation as well as good arm strength. He seemed to have neither last night.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Norman very nearly had an interception when covering AB too. As a zone corner he is still excellent.

Was it Brown that made the catch and Norman was a step off, but was lucky and able to flail to cause the fumble/incomplete pass? Whichever WR that was, he had a solid step on Norman. And then late when Norman came up and tried to manhandle the PIT WR, but the dude shrugged it off and went and caught the first down...looked about right for someone that reads their own clippings.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was it Brown that made the catch and Norman was a step off, but was lucky and able to flail to cause the fumble/incomplete pass? Whichever WR that was, he had a solid step on Norman. And then late when Norman came up and tried to manhandle the PIT WR, but the dude shrugged it off and went and caught the first down...looked about right for someone that reads their own clippings.
Always tough to tell in a defense such as Washington's because it's so much so a help defense and we don't see the whole view watching the game on TV. Was a snap where Norman bumped Brown (I think it was) so quickly Gruden thought there wasn't a reroute at all at the LOS. Not sure if Norman thought there was a screen or what but that probably was a bit too antsy on his part unless I missed something.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brown did nothing the few times they matched up. He was all over Brown the few times they were matched up
Sure, he's good. And they paid handsomely for someone who can competently lock down a short or intermediate zone.

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget the very difficult "tackle the 33 year old RB and not just arm-whif him in the 4th quarter" play that Breeland needs to work on.
Right - that was a weird looking play. It looked like Breeland was caught in some type of time warp

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, he's good. And they paid handsomely for someone who can competently lock down a short or intermediate zone.
Always a pet peeve of mine and why I am against primarily zone defense. Have yet to see a defense really even be good trying to copy Seattle. Jags, Washington, Falcons, and Saints all have major, major issues on defense. Oakland comes close, but that's really a hybridization which probably helps them more than the other teams simply importing Seattle's scheme. Carolina might be an exception-ish. Seem vulnerable in the secondary now but we'll see.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Norman can't bump.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think Breeland is going to get better? They clearly stated that Norman will stay on one side of the field and not move around. The system works in Seattle because they have good safeties and their CB opposite of Sherman is solid. Washington doesn't have anything special at safety and Breeland is trash

Norman is their best CB, no question, and he gave up a key 3 down pass to Coates (#14), but it makes sense to target the weaker CB....I think that's a given.

What really killed the 'Skins last night...they couldn't stop the run....that opened up the short middle behind the LBs and Ben ate that up....when he had the one on one against Breeland he took his shots.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always a pet peeve of mine and why I am against primarily zone defense. Have yet to see a defense really even be good trying to copy Seattle. Jags, Washington, Falcons, and Saints all have major, major issues on defense. Oakland comes close, but that's really a hybridization which probably helps them more than the other teams simply importing Seattle's scheme. Carolina might be an exception-ish. Seem vulnerable in the secondary now but we'll see.

If you can tackle well, (something PIT didn't do well in between the 20s last night) zones work pretty well. Plus some teams play it with man principles within the zone...I.E. much tighter coverage underneath.

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
If you can tackle well, (something PIT didn't do well in between the 20s last night) zones work pretty well. Plus some teams play it with man principles within the zone...I.E. much tighter coverage underneath.
It looked to me like the Steelers are worried about their secondary right now so they gave up the short underneath stuff, converged on the ball and made sure to stop the run. They gave up plenty of passing yards until things tightened up inside the 20. It was a good plan and it worked very well.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looked to me like the Steelers are worried about their secondary right now so they gave up the short underneath stuff, converged on the ball and made sure to stop the run. They gave up plenty of passing yards until things tightened up inside the 20. It was a good plan and it worked very well.

I agree, but I understand why...Cockrell is a 2nd yr starter, Golden SS is a 1st yr starter technically, Davis (slot) is a rookie, and they get even younger when they go dime...Butler played a loose zone in between the 20s and only rushed 4 most of the night so that allowed Cousins a fairly clean pocket most of the night. The one deep ball to Djax, but most everything else was underneath.

IMO that won't work vs the top tier QBs, but it worked last night.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Breeland was pretty good last year... Really had a strong year and looked to be a top 15 CB.. I think his biggest issue was they were playing a lot of cover 0, and when they were playing some cover 1, the safety was overcommitting on play action. Plus he's going up against the best WR in the league.

And never had a problem with keeping a corner on one side of the field. Lots of great defenses do that. The 2nd corner isn't having to worry about moving all over the field, the safeties and LB's aren't having to determine which way to lean their zones too, the 2nd corner isn't having to think inside release is to the left this time instead of the right. Slants always go the same way, footwork always the same, flip your hips and turn the same way every time...

Think back to GB vs. Sea a couple years ago. Sure GB said "we'll put Boykin over there where Sherman is". Seattle said "have at it. Rework your offense in just 3 days into something new, we'll keep doing exactly what we've been practicing for 3 years and see who does it better".

Remember it's not "can the #1 corner go all over the field" but "can the defense adjust for the #1 corner being in a different spot each play".

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't have a problem with Breeland on AB but give the man some help. I had more issue with Brees tackling (not usually a problem) and no Plan B once Plan A was a fail.

Bree will bounce back and be fine. Anyone dismissing him based on this game is foolish.