• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How Good is Missouri?

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are 7-1, and outside of a 22 point 4th quarter given up to LSU, would be undefeated.

Last 2 weeks, they've pretty well blown out Kentucky and South Carolina. 38-21 and 34-12 respectively.

QB can chuck it around with anybody, and they have a very much underrated WR crew led by speedster Luther Burden.

Up next? The #1 Jawja Bulldogs on the road. They are not without a chance.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are 7-1, and outside of a 22 point 4th quarter given up to LSU, would be undefeated.

Last 2 weeks, they've pretty well blown out Kentucky and South Carolina. 38-21 and 34-12 respectively.

QB can chuck it around with anybody, and they have a very much underrated WR crew led by speedster Luther Burden.

Up next? The #1 Jawja Bulldogs on the road. They are not without a chance.
I have no idea but it is a great question. Seems like they have only played 1 team of note. They struggle against lesser talents in Memphis and Middle tennessee state.
They should be favored in every remaining game except georgia.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea but it is a great question. Seems like they have only played 1 team of note. They struggle against lesser talents in Memphis and Middle tennessee state.
They should be favored in every remaining game except georgia.

Yep. They can score. In their lone loss, they put up 39 points and 527 yards of offense against LSU.

Can they play enough defense really seems to be the question. Been a kind schedule, but you still have to win. K-State was a nice win, and Kentucky and South Carolina aren't pushovers that they beat rather handily.

Scary team right now that gets a BYE to prepare for Jawja.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. They can score. In their lone loss, they put up 39 points and 527 yards of offense against LSU.

Can they play enough defense really seems to be the question. Been a kind schedule, but you still have to win. K-State was a nice win, and Kentucky and South Carolina aren't pushovers that they beat rather handily.

Scary team right now that gets a BYE to prepare for Jawja.
Lsu doesn't play defense though.
Neither have they played a team with a good defense. GA and Tennessee will be the best defenses they will face this year.

The GA game will be huge.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I saw something on TV yesterday that said 'who will win the SEC' and Missouri was polling at 2%. They're better than that but I get why people have issues backing them.

The LSU game was a full-blown choke. Oh yeah, these are still kids so unfortunately if you haven't been in the spotlight sometimes its too big. That said, you saw Mizzou jump on LSU early and they took the punch, came back, and proved they were the better team on the road. You saw the same thing with Kentucky with Mizzou going on the road down 14 early and they took over the game. Imo there is a pretty clear distinction of LSU > Mizzou > Kentucky.

What you're seeing with Mizzou's offense is that they can beat you two ways. Luther Burden III caught a yolo deep ball early in double coverage against South Carolina. After that, the run game dominated all game. Generally speaking, Mizzou is really safe with the football, too, and thats helped them look good on offense. The one big blemish IIRC is that pick 6 late against LSU but at that point they were already frazzled.

Defense is a bit tougher to peg. It seems like they can take things away but they cant take everything away. An elite offense will likely be able to score at will but everyone else I think will have issues. They have a good DT, they can get pressure off the edge and do things like stunts. The South Carolina game was basically won for Mizzou with their trench advantages. When they played K State, they didnt really have anyone to deal with their TE. When they played LSU, they didn't really have much to stop Jayden Daniels.

Lsu doesn't play defense though.

They did hold Mizzou to 14 in the 2nf half and played well against Auburn and shut out Army. I wouldn't completely rule out the idea of LSU's defense just being slightly subpar and them getting back into things.

I actually think Tennessee and Georgia are a bit more enigmatic at this point. Georgia is obviously good but Mizzou almost beat Georgia last year so they're going to have this game circled on their calendar as a statement game I'd imagine especially since Mizzou will likely be ranked #15-20.

Last edited:

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I saw something on TV yesterday that said 'who will win the SEC' and Missouri was polling at 2%. They're better than that but I get why people have issues backing them.

The LSU game was a full-blown choke. Oh yeah, these are still kids so unfortunately if you haven't been in the spotlight sometimes its too big. That said, you saw Mizzou jump on LSU early and they took the punch, came back, and proved they were the better team on the road. You saw the same thing with Kentucky with Mizzou going on the road down 14 early and they took over the game. Imo there is a pretty clear distinction of LSU > Mizzou > Kentucky.

What you're seeing with Mizzou's offense is that they can beat you two ways. Luther Burden III caught a yolo deep ball early in double coverage against South Carolina. After that, the run game dominated all game. Generally speaking, Mizzou is really safe with the football, too, and thats helped them look good on offense. The one big blemish IIRC is that pick 6 late against LSU but at that point they were already frazzled.

Defense is a bit tougher to peg. It seems like they can take things away but they cant take everything away. An elite offense will likely be able to score at will but everyone else I think will have issues. They have a good DT, they can get pressure off the edge and do things like stunts. The South Carolina game was basically won for Mizzou with their trench advantages. When they played K State, they didnt really have anyone to deal with their TE. When they played LSU, they didn't really have much to stop Jayden Daniels.

They did hold Mizzou to 14 in the 2nf half and played well against Auburn and shut out Army. I wouldn't completely rule out the idea of LSU's defense just being slightly subpar and them getting back into things.
Lsu gave up a ton of points to Ole miss, mizzou, florida st and even arkansas. That is why I said that lsu doesn't play defense. They gave up 55 to Ole miss and 31 to arkansas. Arkansas could only muster 3 points yesterday against Mississippi St.

I think lsu and mizzou are similar in that you don't know what you are going to get right. Mizzous offense seems to be improving week to week. Lsu is all over the place putting up 60 or either getting spanked by florida st.

Thoughts on the Tennessee and georgia games? Those are the best defenses mizzou face all year probably.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lsu gave up a ton of points to Ole miss, mizzou, florida st and even arkansas. That is why I said that lsu doesn't play defense. They gave up 55 to Ole miss and 31 to arkansas. Arkansas could only muster 3 points yesterday against Mississippi St.

I think lsu and mizzou are similar in that you don't know what you are going to get right. Mizzous offense seems to be improving week to week. Lsu is all over the place putting up 60 or either getting spanked by florida st.

Thoughts on the Tennessee and georgia games? Those are the best defenses mizzou face all year probably.
And thats fair. LSU has been really bad on defense this year. Its just not so much lately. I don't think they were supposed to be this bad on defense, either, so I wouldn't totally rule thing out.

My guess is Georgia stomps Mizzou if Bowers plays. I haven't been following that too closely. Without Bowers....man...depends on which Mizzou shows up. Mizzou really did a good job of shutting down Kansas State except for their star TE and Bowers is kinda the star TE. A big thing with Mizzou is that when they win they get big plays and dont turn the ball over. In theory, you'd expect a team like Georgia to change that dynamic. If they don't, yeah...Mizzou could win. I wouldn't bet on it but Mizzou has talent. Its just that you'd expect an elite team to take away the deep pass and dominate the trenches.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And thats fair. LSU has been really bad on defense this year. Its just not so much lately. I don't think they were supposed to be this bad on defense, either, so I wouldn't totally rule thing out.

My guess is Georgia stomps Mizzou if Bowers plays. I haven't been following that too closely. Without Bowers....man...depends on which Mizzou shows up. Mizzou really did a good job of shutting down Kansas State except for their star TE and Bowers is kinda the star TE. A big thing with Mizzou is that when they win they get big plays and dont turn the ball over. In theory, you'd expect a team like Georgia to change that dynamic. If they don't, yeah...Mizzou could win. I wouldn't bet on it but Mizzou has talent. Its just that you'd expect an elite team to take away the deep pass and dominate the trenches.

Agree with a lot of this.

Jawja isn't an offensive juggernaut, and Bowers is out for a while.

However, Jawja has an elite defense, and will not allow Missouri to run the football and put the game squarely on Brady Cook's shoulders. That is the real question. Is Brady good enough to be "The Man" and carry them to a win over a superior opponent?

Another week away, and they get Jawja after their big rivalry game against Florida. And lets be honest. I don't think there is a team in the SEC that gives Missouri a lick of respect.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And lets be honest. I don't think there is a team in the SEC that gives Missouri a lick of respect.
Not the fanbases, thats for sure. Dealt with that in the Big 12 back when Mizzou was alright almost every season so obviously when Mizzou has only been alright about 1/3 of the time its not going to translate into respect.

Ultimately this does come down to Brady Cook. Mizzou lost IIRC 3 winnable games last year because Cook stunk. Cook, for the most part, has been great this year. Kellen Moore's brother is the new offensive coordinator this year at Mizzou....I doubt we keep him with how much better the offense has been under Kirby Moore compared to last year.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not the fanbases, thats for sure. Dealt with that in the Big 12 back when Mizzou was alright almost every season so obviously when Mizzou has only been alright about 1/3 of the time its not going to translate into respect.

Ultimately this does come down to Brady Cook. Mizzou lost IIRC 3 winnable games last year because Cook stunk. Cook, for the most part, has been great this year. Kellen Moore's brother is the new offensive coordinator this year at Mizzou....I doubt we keep him with how much better the offense has been under Kirby Moore compared to last year.

I know my Huskers had a lot of respect for Missouri.

Dates back to 1978 when you bastages with James Wilder and Kellen Winslow took us down after we beat Oklahoma. Ruined our entire season.

We won quite a few in a row, but they were almost always tough hard fought games. Miss that rivalry game to be honest.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know my Huskers had a lot of respect for Missouri.

Dates back to 1978 when you bastages with James Wilder and Kellen Winslow took us down after we beat Oklahoma. Ruined our entire season.

We won quite a few in a row, but they were almost always tough hard fought games. Miss that rivalry game to be honest.
I was born in 82 so maybe I dont quite see it the same way. Nebraska was the hammer and we were the nail. Corby Jones did turn that around and Pinkel did even things out a lot in that rivalry.

I do miss the Big 8 rivalries, though. I do like our games with Kansas St and halfway expect Mizzou to end up playing Kansas in a bowl game. Although thats always hard to predict this early.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cook and Burden might be the best connection in college football.
Thoughts on the Tennessee game?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thoughts on the Tennessee game?
I haven't actually seen a ton of Tennessee, tbh. They lost a lot of what was great about their team last year so I probably need to see how they're doing this year

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How good is Missouri? I think they've improved, for sure. They played a tight game against Georgia last year, but I think they still likely lose by 14+ points.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the BBQ sucks and the humidity in the summer is awful…..oh you meant the football team. They’re pretty good from what I’ve seen(I live about 90 minutes from Columbia).

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welp, the question has been answered.

They are a pretty damn good team. Just dominated a solid Tennessee team, and gave Jawja all they wanted between the hedges before a late INT.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welp, the question has been answered.

They are a pretty damn good team. Just dominated a solid Tennessee team, and gave Jawja all they wanted between the hedges before a late INT.
Tennessee isn't that solid and is having a down year clearly.

Everything that could go wrong, did go wrong for Tennessee yesterday. Bizarre fumbles, losing multiple wrs, etc.

Milton is clearly not the qb heupel thought he was.

Boglodyte

2 things that make life worth living, guns/cigars
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are definitely a top 12-15 team. They have a very favorable schedule. They will get a good bowl game on NYD