• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

helmet to helmet

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for proving my pt. That must slay them in the sand box

Was voted Most Average Looking at the sandbox at the rec. center last year.

That's pretty big.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are a tool. I played a long time and love physical ball. Work with kids and you start to understand. I find it amazing that Bama fans have had multiple threads about the rules disadvantages the defense, but when I actually put that out using a Bama player on offense they resort to childish replies.

I think the rules toward safety are great and I can only hope they start doing a better job of judging which ones are and which one's aren't. Once the players are "programmed" to hit properly I think they will but your example is on the other side of the line. You are being "that guy" that wants touch football! Sit Fowler down for lowering his head and trying to score. Seriously? Maybe just don't give him a juice box after the game!?

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was voted Most Average Looking at the sandbox at the rec. center last year.

That's pretty big.

Damn, thats funny i was voted "Most likely to leave a turd in the sandbox covered up"

I did too.:nod:

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously, guys, you have to admit that in both college and NFL, the mindset of the people making the rules has become....

protect the guys on offense.

Fuck the guys on defense.

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loston is a dumb thug POS. He can't even tackle. All he does is go for the big hit...moron....

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the rules toward safety are great and I can only hope they start doing a better job of judging which ones are and which one's aren't. Once the players are "programmed" to hit properly I think they will but your example is on the other side of the line. You are being "that guy" that wants touch football! Sit Fowler down for lowering his head and trying to score. Seriously? Maybe just don't give him a juice box after the game!?

Not at all. What I want in rules for football players, not just specific rules for positions. If you are going to enforce penalties on players that lead with their helmet for safety reasons, than it is only logical to do to on both sides of the ball. If it it is dangerous for a defender to lead with his head, it only makes sense that it is equally as dangerous for an offensive player to lead with his head.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously, guys, you have to admit that in both college and NFL, the mindset of the people making the rules has become....

Someone understands.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree its bs...but its the way game is going now. example in nfl...you cant hit the qb but above knee and below shoulders. on that potential targeting call in bama game. the one in video if that receiver breaks away from initial tackle and runs for a td then its look how great the receiver is. on the fowler td if some safety comes in from another angle and blasts him out of bounds helmet to helmet then hes getting a flag. I say if ones a penalty then they all need to be.

where do you draw the line for "toughness" as so called by certain bama fans? think there was a play last year Arkansas and I forget opponent...anyway the play in question is a punt return. returner calls for a fair catch. punt gunner get down there and lays out the returner before ball gets there. hes immediately ejected. so under bama rules...toughness...anything goes should he have stayed in game? no flag even?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defenseless player is the keyword the OP doesn't seem to be grasping.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But not in this case.

A defenseless player is someone who isn't ready for the hit. So they are taking the full brunt of the hit. I don't know if any of you have ever been ear-holed, but that shit hurts and rings your bell to say the least.

It's not the same when 2 players are meeting up and hitting each other, as is the case with a ball carrier and a defender. They both lower their heads and it's fine.

I hate the rule personally. But saying the RB's are doing the same thing and it's ok is just plain false. Once they start carrying the ball forward, they aren't defenseless.

It's also why the call in the LSU/Bama game that people think is so close was not targeting. It was called correctly, it was a late hit and a cheap shot. Personal foul, 15 yards.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But not in this case.

A defenseless player is someone who isn't ready for the hit. So they are taking the full brunt of the hit. I don't know if any of you have ever been ear-holed, but that shit hurts and rings your bell to say the least.

It's not the same when 2 players are meeting up and hitting each other, as is the case with a ball carrier and a defender. They both lower their heads and it's fine.

I hate the rule personally. But saying the RB's are doing the same thing and it's ok is just plain false. Once they start carrying the ball forward, they aren't defenseless.

It's also why the call in the LSU/Bama game that people think is so close was not targeting. It was called correctly, it was a late hit and a cheap shot. Personal foul, 15 yards.

there are 2 separate penalties. Hitting with the crown of the helmet and targeting.

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Initiating Contact/Targeting an Oppenent
1. No player shall initiate contact and target an opponent with the crown (top) of his helmet. When in question, it is a foul.[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]2. No player shall initiate contact and target a defenseless opponent above the shoulders. When in question, it is a foul.[/FONT]

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cannot remember which radio show I heard it on, but the hosts were reporting that a "major" college team was teaching its receivers and RBs how to drop their helmets at impact to try and draw a targeting foul on the defense. Sounds a little far fetched to me....

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree its bs...but its the way game is going now. example in nfl...you cant hit the qb but above knee and below shoulders. on that potential targeting call in bama game. the one in video if that receiver breaks away from initial tackle and runs for a td then its look how great the receiver is. on the fowler td if some safety comes in from another angle and blasts him out of bounds helmet to helmet then hes getting a flag. I say if ones a penalty then they all need to be.

where do you draw the line for "toughness" as so called by certain bama fans? think there was a play last year Arkansas and I forget opponent...anyway the play in question is a punt return. returner calls for a fair catch. punt gunner get down there and lays out the returner before ball gets there. hes immediately ejected. so under bama rules...toughness...anything goes should he have stayed in game? no flag even?[/QUOTE]

If you have a problem with "certain Bama fans" and their OPINIONS, then just say so, do mix words like a politically correct whiner, we are "tough" and can take it. In the play you described, its a penalty to hit a player that has called fair catch, so he would get a penalty on that play no matter what and no Bama fan would argue that call at all. Now, not having seen the severity of the play because unless Alabama is playing Arkansas, i try not to watch crappy football teams play, i simply cannot speak to why they threw him out. I am sure it was warranted due to the viciousness of the hit, but again i simply cannot say.

With that said, I can speak to the severity of the hit on Saturday night with the defenseless receiver hit and that warranted a penalty because clearly the receiver was not moving any farther and the hit was late. As for an ejection, i was not in favor of that, its football, people will get hit hard in this sport, I've seen it happen.

Now if you clearly notice, i spoke to a play that was clearly a penalty, i was not concerned for my own teams players safety on that play because he took the risk knowing thats a possibility in FOOTBALL and trying to manufacture an "everyone gets a trophy" type rule is dumbing down the sport I thought we all loved, but apparently not some of us. Guess us SEC boys were just raised to not be afraid of a little bone crushing hit from time to time whether its administering them, or taking them.

OnlyCrimson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a lot of people in this thread that need to learn what "defenseless player" means and stop crying like little sissies.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a lot of people in this thread that need to learn what "defenseless player" means and stop crying like little sissies.
-
Lot of internet badasses on this thread that ended there career in football as freshman in HS. Again defenseless has nothing to do with the penalty. I really wish people would actually know the rules prior to posting.

trojanfight

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
Lot of internet badasses on this thread that ended there career in football as freshman in HS. Again defenseless has nothing to do with the penalty. I really wish people would actually know the rules prior to posting.

lots of incognito jr's in this thread...let them sit back with their white only pies

trojanfight

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

where do you draw the line for "toughness" as so called by certain bama fans? think there was a play last year Arkansas and I forget opponent...anyway the play in question is a punt return. returner calls for a fair catch. punt gunner get down there and lays out the returner before ball gets there. hes immediately ejected. so under bama rules...toughness...anything goes should he have stayed in game? no flag even?[/QUOTE]

If you have a problem with "certain Bama fans" and their OPINIONS, then just say so, do mix words like a politically correct whiner, we are "tough" and can take it. In the play you described, its a penalty to hit a player that has called fair catch, so he would get a penalty on that play no matter what and no Bama fan would argue that call at all. Now, not having seen the severity of the play because unless Alabama is playing Arkansas, i try not to watch crappy football teams play, i simply cannot speak to why they threw him out. I am sure it was warranted due to the viciousness of the hit, but again i simply cannot say.

With that said, I can speak to the severity of the hit on Saturday night with the defenseless receiver hit and that warranted a penalty because clearly the receiver was not moving any farther and the hit was late. As for an ejection, i was not in favor of that, its football, people will get hit hard in this sport, I've seen it happen.

Now if you clearly notice, i spoke to a play that was clearly a penalty, i was not concerned for my own teams players safety on that play because he took the risk knowing thats a possibility in FOOTBALL and trying to manufacture an "everyone gets a trophy" type rule is dumbing down the sport I thought we all loved, but apparently not some of us. Guess us SEC boys were just raised to not be afraid of a little bone crushing hit from time to time whether its administering them, or taking them.

so what happens then if the next time a similar play Is happening a defender knows if he comes in and finishes off a runner fighting for extra yardage?. he puts his hand down or whatever means necessary to avoid going down and breaks away for a TD.. then what...what does ncaa tell the defense...if the defender in the fowler play has some neck injury it might warrant more attention..my point overall is either enforce all helmet to helmet or get rid of it.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so what happens then if the next time a similar play Is happening a defender knows if he comes in and finishes off a runner fighting for extra yardage?. he puts his hand down or whatever means necessary to avoid going down and breaks away for a TD.. then what...what does ncaa tell the defense...if the defender in the fowler play has some neck injury it might warrant more attention..my point overall is either enforce all helmet to helmet or get rid of it.

And that is my point, get rid of the helmet to helmet hits rule as it has been a disaster and not defined clearly enough or able to be policed well enough at those speeds to make it a good rule. Helmet contact will happen even if you lead with your shoulder and in the past it was left up to the Refs to decide if it was unnecessary roughness or not. now if they polish the QB's shoes or tap his helmet as they pass him in the line of play its a penalty. The rules are getting out of control and this will eventually turn off the very viewers who once loved and thrived on this sport every year.