• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Heading to the Steeler/Packer preseason game on 8/23

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Steeler fans I am heading to a road preseason game for the first time in my life. I have this lifetime goal to get to all the NFL stadiums and this will be #19.

I usually dont go to many preseason games much less a road game but this will be a special trip as I am bring my best friend who you can see in my avatar who is a big time huge Steeler fan. She was born and raised a PA girl living over by Johnstown. She has been living near South Bend Indiana for many years and is also a big Notre Dame fan.

She has not been back home for many years. About 5 years ago her mother passed away and my friend was in the hospital at the time and was not able to get out to go to her own mothers funeral. She has not been back home to see her mothers grave.

When the football schedule comes out I always look over it to see what road games I can go too and hit any new stadiums and I saw this game and thought of my friend and said lets go to the Steeler game on a long weekend and then also go back to her home town Johnstown and go to her moms grave and see a few old friends. She thought this was a great idea so the plan is set to head to Pittsburgh for the game on the 23rd.

I wish they would have kept the game a night game as that is nicer for this time of year in my opinion damn those Pittsburgh Pirates for getting the Sunday night game on TV lol

We will be getting to town on the Friday night before the game getting a hotel on the east side of Pittsburgh so we are closer to Johnstown.

A few questions to you Steeler fans would be:

1. We want to tailgate before the game and I know the Steeler fans are big into the tailgating but we have no clue where a good parking place may be with good groups of tailgating so if anyone has suggestions on good tailgating spots near the stadium and how many hours ahead the lots open for parking or tailgating would be appreciated.

2, There will be some free time Saturday afternoon and evening and Sunday after the game as we are not heading back home until Monday noon or so. Is there one or two things a person needs to see or do while in Pittsburgh as I have no clue never having been there before.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Believe it or not, but we've had a few threads posted on our forum about this sort of thing... Here's one that you should read through:

1st Trip to Pittsburgh | SportsHoopla Sports Forums

I wrote this in there:

If you are into history... Then I would either go to Kennywood Park (Carnegie Mellon Museum of History) or head to Oakland (2 Art Museums), Downtown there's the Heinz History Center. Also you cannot go to Pittsburgh without visiting the Strip District. Plan on that occupying at least 2 hours because there is a lot to see. If you want to sightsee right away, take the incline up to Mt. Washington... There are a few places that you can eat lunch up there or you can head back down the incline and eat somewhere in station square. Point State Park is another great place to visit.

When going to the game... For 1st timers, I highly recommend parking in station square and taking the Gateway Clipper Shuttle Ferry. It takes you down the Monongahela river into the confluence and drops you off at the river entrance to Heinz Field. If that's not your bag, then consider parking on the North Shore (easiest). Also you can park downtown around Point State Park and take the Park trail across the Fort Duquesne Bridge (very scenic walk). Tailgating... My family's spot is on the north end of the main lot but I'm not always there. I usually meet my friends over at Redbeard's and walk down about a half hour before kickoff. Also if you choose to do the ferry ride over I would recommend eating/drinking at the Steelhouse since it's right next to the Ferry offices. Awesome food, beer & service... And a lot of tailgaters.

Food... You MUST eat breakfast at Pamelas in Millvale or Shadyside. Best b-fast spot in town. Other great options: Bluebird Kitchen downtown, Dor-Stop in Dormont, DeLuca's on the Strip District. For lunches/dinners depends on your style... I'd recommend Primanti Bro's for 1st timers. Classy joints like Avenue B in Shadyside, Bar Marco in Strip District, Butcher & the Rye (downtown)... Sports Bars I'd recommend Grille 36 (Bettis' spot) next to Heinz Field, Redbeards downtown, or Steelhouse in station square. There are a lot of restaurants in station square... Franco owns 3 or 4? different restaurants in Pit so not sure which one you are talking about.

Hope this helps! Enjoy your stay!

I hope this helps... Let me know if you have any questions! Enjoy your stay in the Steel City! :suds:

MISKO

STILLERS
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Steeler fans I am heading to a road preseason game for the first time in my life. I have this lifetime goal to get to all the NFL stadiums and this will be #19.

I usually dont go to many preseason games much less a road game but this will be a special trip as I am bring my best friend who you can see in my avatar who is a big time huge Steeler fan. She was born and raised a PA girl living over by Johnstown. She has been living near South Bend Indiana for many years and is also a big Notre Dame fan.

She has not been back home for many years. About 5 years ago her mother passed away and my friend was in the hospital at the time and was not able to get out to go to her own mothers funeral. She has not been back home to see her mothers grave.

When the football schedule comes out I always look over it to see what road games I can go too and hit any new stadiums and I saw this game and thought of my friend and said lets go to the Steeler game on a long weekend and then also go back to her home town Johnstown and go to her moms grave and see a few old friends. She thought this was a great idea so the plan is set to head to Pittsburgh for the game on the 23rd.

I wish they would have kept the game a night game as that is nicer for this time of year in my opinion damn those Pittsburgh Pirates for getting the Sunday night game on TV lol

We will be getting to town on the Friday night before the game getting a hotel on the east side of Pittsburgh so we are closer to Johnstown.

A few questions to you Steeler fans would be:

1. We want to tailgate before the game and I know the Steeler fans are big into the tailgating but we have no clue where a good parking place may be with good groups of tailgating so if anyone has suggestions on good tailgating spots near the stadium and how many hours ahead the lots open for parking or tailgating would be appreciated.

2, There will be some free time Saturday afternoon and evening and Sunday after the game as we are not heading back home until Monday noon or so. Is there one or two things a person needs to see or do while in Pittsburgh as I have no clue never having been there before.
hey @LambeauLegs if you every come to minnie to laugh at the vikes I will buy you a couple of beers and laugh at them with you

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hey @LambeauLegs if you every come to minnie to laugh at the vikes I will buy you a couple of beers and laugh at them with you

Oh I usually head to the game in MN as I have a daughter in grad school at the Uni of MN and usually head up to visit her and we go to the game. We were at the last Packer/Viking game in the old dome.

Am looking forward to the new stadium. Not sure of this year yet but would be nice to see a game outdoors in MN as this year would be my only chance to see an outdoor Viking/Packer game in MN.

The Vikings will be a tough team

MISKO

STILLERS
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I usually head to the game in MN as I have a daughter in grad school at the Uni of MN and usually head up to visit her and we go to the game. We were at the last Packer/Viking game in the old dome.

Am looking forward to the new stadium. Not sure of this year yet but would be nice to see a game outdoors in MN as this year would be my only chance to see an outdoor Viking/Packer game in MN.

The Vikings will be a tough team
I think that they got a bit better too

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Believe it or not, but we've had a few threads posted on our forum about this sort of thing... Here's one that you should read through:

1st Trip to Pittsburgh | SportsHoopla Sports Forums

I wrote this in there:

I hope this helps... Let me know if you have any questions! Enjoy your stay in the Steel City! :suds:

Thanks for the info and yes that was quite helpful. I guess one thing I am wondering is about the tailgating before the game. We would bring stuff to tailgate like the small grill, lawn chairs and such and am wondering is the tailgating mostly done in parking lots around the stadium? Are there lots for parking wit tailgating that are not next to the stadium? If so are these lots like public parking lots ot parking that businesses in the area sell for parking. What time do the lots open for tailgating? I know up at Green Bay they open stuff up 4 hours before game time.

So am wondering where an easy place to get in with traffic and such to get an early start to tailgating

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the info and yes that was quite helpful. I guess one thing I am wondering is about the tailgating before the game. We would bring stuff to tailgate like the small grill, lawn chairs and such and am wondering is the tailgating mostly done in parking lots around the stadium? Are there lots for parking wit tailgating that are not next to the stadium? If so are these lots like public parking lots ot parking that businesses in the area sell for parking. What time do the lots open for tailgating? I know up at Green Bay they open stuff up 4 hours before game time.

So am wondering where an easy place to get in with traffic and such to get an early start to tailgating
lots everywhere........and tailgating EVERYWHERE.....lots open earyl, especially the side lots, ppl are there at 6am

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
literally if your there 4 hours before the game you will find alot, theres the main lots and million parking signs for private lots all round the stadium, you will see fans and flagds everyewhere, find one and post up.....

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well things are coming together for the trip in 2 weeks having a hotel out in the Monroeville area so we are closer to the Johnstown area that we are heading to an Saturday so my friend can see a few old friends and her moms grave.

Then was able to score some tickets with me being the only bidder on ebay for 2 tickets in the club seats in the 200 sections along with a parking pass in the Gold parking lots by the stadium for a total of $150. So that was a fairly good deal and should be able to park fairly close to the stadium.

Something I was wondering is I was thinking of us heading to see the Frank Loyd Wright building "Fallingwater" that is not all that far from where we are going on Saturday and wondered on any opinions on that if anyone has been there.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well things are coming together for the trip in 2 weeks having a hotel out in the Monroeville area so we are closer to the Johnstown area that we are heading to an Saturday so my friend can see a few old friends and her moms grave.

Then was able to score some tickets with me being the only bidder on ebay for 2 tickets in the club seats in the 200 sections along with a parking pass in the Gold parking lots by the stadium for a total of $150. So that was a fairly good deal and should be able to park fairly close to the stadium.

Something I was wondering is I was thinking of us heading to see the Frank Loyd Wright building "Fallingwater" that is not all that far from where we are going on Saturday and wondered on any opinions on that if anyone has been there.

its cool but id rather do lot of other things......and thats a good deal 200 section are very good view