• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hawks Talent vs. Ferentz

gengljer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read an article on Bleacherreport.com...so I'll just paraphrase a little, but we've had this discussion many times over. College talent doesn't always transition to NFL talent, and NFL talent doesn't always mean college success.

From 2003-2012, Iowa had more players drafted than every Big 10 team except for Ohio State.

Tied for 3rd most first rounders, and had the most OL taken.

Every starting CB since 2008 has been drafted.

With only Hyde getting drafted this year, which I believe since 2003 was the only time one Hawk was drafted, they are projected to have 6 possibly 7(if Scherff jumps ala Reiff). Also, every tackle that was a multi year starter under Ferentz, has been drafted, except for Zusevics(tore his pectoral muscle in the combine - probably would have been drafted otherwise).

Given we have seen a huge need to upgrade what we do offensively and defensively, and if Ferentz and company can develop players like they have all along, it's possible that we can get back to the top tier in the Big 10 and press for championships.

I don't think Iowa can out recruit anyone, but given the pipeline he's created for players to the NFL, if the system changes to attract what kids want to play in, then it's possible we can get 3 to 4 studs a year and over time that could pay dividends.

Summer is just starting and as much as I want football season to show up, it can wait a few years, as I'd love to thaw out for awhile.

herky

YEAH JEETS!!!!!!111
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that the problem is that Ferentz is now of the mind set that he can take any 2* and make him a 1st Round OL. That is why we aren't recruiting Florida at all. Our shitty schedule coupled with our focus on Midwest recruiting is killing this program.

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it amazing that KF can identify hidden talent and get a portion of those players drafted. Funny that he can't win more games with that NFL talent though.

Iowa has the reputation of putting OL and TEs in the NFL. I'd add DL players to that list as well. Iowa isn't an NFL junction for RBs, QBs, & WRs. Nor does Iowa put a lot of LBs into the NFL.

Are we making a distinction here regarding NFL talent that starts, or just gets drafted and makes the team. Clearly Iowa football has produced NFL starters and that is significant. Iowa also has players that may not be every down starters...but they understand the role that they play (also significant!). Hopefully, these Iowa players can get 2-3 contracts in the NFL and set themselves up for a secure life after playing football.

With all of the players that KF has sent to the NFL, I am still amazed that KF hasn't won more games!

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greenway and Angerer seem to be doing pretty good at lb in the NFL... Iowa has plenty of talent, lets hope that the new coaches bring in new philosophies.

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aaron,

I would agree. Those two LBs in KFs 14 years...a remarkable ratio for KF...

Iowa has the pedigree for sending O-Linemen and TEs to the NFL. Iowa does have a smattering of other position players in the NFL - to the credit of KF!

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are Aaron. Iowa isn't known for producing LBs for the NFL in most drafts. Sure, Iowa gets one every-now-and-then. And I did say that was to the credit of KF! KF has sent more linemen - traditionally - in his time at Iowa. And those linemen have played significantly for NFL teams.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Edds, Hunter, Tarpinian and Nielsen are also currently playing in the NFL. I would say that isn't exactly a poor NFL resume at that position..... But, what do I know..

gengljer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hodge got drafted as well, got buried behind Hawk from OSU in Green Bay....

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aaron,

Clearly you are talking about Iowa players being drafted versus starter talent in the NFL. Point taken. Iowa has had LBs drafted, or are free agent waiver signees.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aaron,

Clearly you are talking about Iowa players being drafted versus starter talent in the NFL. Point taken. Iowa has had LBs drafted, or are free agent waiver signees.

Clearly he is. Not everyone drafted is gonna be an All-Pro. Just to get drafted and make a make the team is an accomplishment.

gengljer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan Leaf, Ricky Stanzi..both drafted QB's...which career do you want? The point is, NFL talent..drafted means someone thought you could play at the next level. Draft picks pan out or they don't. How many LB's taken by the Ravens sent Ray Lewis into early retirement? Doesn't mean they were good, must means sometimes you get the spot, sometimes you don't. Sometimes you fit the system sometimes you don't. My original post pointed out one thing, Iowa sends a ton of players to the NFL under Ferentz.

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leaf was better than Stanzi in college - by a wide margin. Stanzi, hasn't taken a snap yet in an actual NFL game. I'll take neither. Stanzi should have enough money in the bank to live a very comfortable life. Leaf...wouldn't surprise me if he is bankrupt already.

Stanzi will hold a clipboard for 1...maybe 2 contracts in the NFL before being released. That should give him an excellent bank account for the rest of his life!!! And good for him!!!

Amazing to see KF find talent for the NFL...but not win with that talent in college.

herky

YEAH JEETS!!!!!!111
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could be wrong but I think Leaf is in jail for drugs and shit.

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Herky,

I think you are right about that. Maybe alcohol related as well (DUI or OWI??)

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gengljer,

Isn't KF supposed to win games at Iowa? Or, is he supposed to send recruits to the NFL?

When you win enough games, NFL organizations tend to draft your players. Yes, players do get drafted from bad teams.

I get the argument - KF does send his players to the NFL - but I sense some of Hawknation not wanting to acknowledge that KF can't win more games with that NFL-caliber talent.

gengljer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thread was never about winning and losing, it pointed out that Iowa under Ferentz sends alot of players to the NFL. Clearly winning more, might bring in more talent, but we've hashed this out for years. Iowa coaches players up, they don't have 3 deep talent like Ohio State, and periodically we compete with those teams with more talent.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thread was never about winning and losing, it pointed out that Iowa under Ferentz sends alot of players to the NFL. Clearly winning more, might bring in more talent, but we've hashed this out for years. Iowa coaches players up, they don't have 3 deep talent like Ohio State, and periodically we compete with those teams with more talent.

Word