• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hawks Lost a Draft Pick

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Seattle Seahawks and coach Pete Carroll were fined by the NFL, the league announced Monday. Seattle will forfeit its 2017 fifth-round draft choice due to violating the NFL's rule against "on-field physical contact" during an organized team activity in June.

The Seahawks were fined $400,000, and Carroll was fined $200,000. The Seahawks will also forfeit their first week of OTAs (covering three days) in 2017. Seahawks players will be paid for the canceled sessions, the NFL announced.

The violation occurred from an OTA session on June 6. The NFL and NFLPA independently reviewed on-field video of the practice before agreeing that the Seahawks violated the "no-contact" rule.

In notifying the Seahawks of the discipline, the NFL cited Appendix G of the collective bargaining agreement, which states "voluntary offseason workout programs are intended to provide training, teaching and physical conditioning for players. The intensity and tempo of drills should be at a level conducive to learning, with player safety as the highest priority, and not at a level where one player is in a physical contest with another player."

Monday's discipline is the third time Carroll and the Seahawks have been penalized for breaking the "no-contact" rules. In 2014, the Seahawks were fined $300,000 and lost practice time the following year for violating the rule during a mandatory minicamp. In 2012, Carroll and the Seahawks were fined an undisclosed amount and forfeited two OTAs the following season for violating the rule.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 5th seems a bit harsh for this transgression. When I first saw the article, I assumed a 6th-7th was in order. I guess that the league is cracking down on this sort of thing.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 5th seems a bit harsh for this transgression. When I first saw the article, I assumed a 6th-7th was in order. I guess that the league is cracking down on this sort of thing.

Ya I thought it was harsh too, than found out its the third time under PC and at some point the league has to send the message. I also heard it was two guys who hit each other ( in the head) while going for the football, and if that's the only thing than the rules are way to stiff.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, giving your teamate a high-5 after a good play violates the no contact rules under the CBA.

/Sarcasm OFF

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know why you start penalizing a team with draft picks taken away for this sort of violation. Fines should definitely be given out to the coach and owner for these types of activities (which they were).

A 5th IMO kind of hurts because Seattle typically drafts pretty well in those later rounds although 5th outside of Sherman/Chancellor (very early in Carroll/Schneider's career with Seattle) and to somewhat of an extent Willson have been pretty lackluster...

Still, I think a 5th is a bit harsh... but rules are rules. I thought a 1st for the whole deflategate crap was ridiculous too lol.

I think better teams are penalized more harshly than crappy ones lol (which makes sense, ideally you want all teams on somewhat equal footing, better revenue/marketability). If the 49ers or Bears or someone did this, it'd probably be a 7th or no draft pick loss with the fines.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what the real issue is, the Hawks Report EVERYTHING and because they are so transparent they end up getting dinged. I think you will see them becoming more tight lipped from now on. Had they not reported the incident the NFL wouldn't have reviewed the practice tape.

All the NFL is doing is going to make teams close up in communication with the league office. They wont be as transparent. This is just how it will play out because teams wont want to lose draft picks because of some people bonking heads that was a total accident. When you see a ball on the ground instinct takes over and you dive for the loose ball.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what the real issue is, the Hawks Report EVERYTHING and because they are so transparent they end up getting dinged. I think you will see them becoming more tight lipped from now on. Had they not reported the incident the NFL wouldn't have reviewed the practice tape.

All the NFL is doing is going to make teams close up in communication with the league office. They wont be as transparent.

From what I understand at every practice there is a rep for the NFL and NFLPA present. So whether they turned over the tape or not would not matter if that person watching decided it was necessary to have the tape reviewed. That is what happened to the Ravens in the NFLPA rep if I remember right turned them in for practice violations.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can I apply for that job? Watch practice, get paid.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should get a Goodell voodoo doll.
Or I should start charging for quality information? Besides what makes you think I don't have one? Every NFL fan should. Well maybe not the Jets or G-spots.