• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Has The Role Of An NBA GM Now Becoming Obscolete?

Has The Role Of The GM be Extinct?

• Yes

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • No

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Potato Salad

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We arent going to agree obviously, I’m saying it’s not a sustainable model and Silver has already basically admitted that. We will see what happens.
Yes obviously we don't agree, I don't know why you think it's unsustainable. Who's not happy (besides you)?

This off-season and upcoming season is one of the most fun and anticipated I can remember

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes obviously we don't agree, I don't know why you think it's unsustainable. Who's not happy (besides you)?

This off-season and upcoming season is one of the most fun and anticipated I can remember

F me I’m not saying I’m unhappy I’m making an observation that long term it won’t work and there will be changes. Even Silver has said as much. My team is rebuilding, has nothing to do with my opinion that’s just the nature of the pro sports.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
F me I’m not saying I’m unhappy I’m making an observation that long term it won’t work and there will be changes. Even Silver has said as much. My team is rebuilding, has nothing to do with my opinion that’s just the nature of the pro sports.

F me I know. I just want to hear your reasons for thinking it's 'unsustainable'. I'm cool if you don't want to talk about it, I just don't see that at all. Why won't it work? It's like you saying something like "I'm just making an observation that long term the NFL won't work" and then I ask "why?" and instead of saying "because all the head injuries will eventually end it" or something you just say "because I said so and so did the commissioner".

If you don't have any reasons, that's fine, I just wanted to hear them if you did. Most of the posters here on on record saying this off-season is really great, with all the crazy player team-ups. So why in your opinion is that unsustainable?

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s simple really, businesses need more certainty than where this seems to be headed. Just watch, there will be changes.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s simple really, businesses need more certainty than where this seems to be headed. Just watch, there will be changes.

I guess. Whatever businesses need, the current NBA business is crushing it. Today, with what's happening.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok you can have the last word.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saying that I do. It’s not like a bunch of franchises are being sold right now anyway but I know there are business people that would be deterred by the way things are trending.

And for every business person who would be deterred by the way things are trending...there will be at least one (and probably more) who won't be.

I mean, the Clippers of all teams, sold for more than what their actual value was at the time.

Can you imagine thinking you have 3 superstars tied up for like 4 years and they all the sudden decide they want out? It’s not like a normal business where you can at least come close to replacing those guys.

It works both ways though. Can you imagine thinking you and your family can settle in to a place for 4 years or longer and then suddenly having to sit down with them and decide whether or not everyone is moving...or you have to live apart from them for half the year?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even in the scenario you describe (hasn't happened yet, it's always 1 or 2 that want out) the owner revenues aren't really affected.

Shit, the Lakers have had the worst record in league over the last 6 years and they still print money.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most people with jobs live with knowing they can be transferred anytime. The guaranteed contracts in the NBA certainly makes that easier to take. I’m just saying that while what is happening appears to be exciting for the average fan I’m pretty confident that the owners are not happy about it and because of that there will be changes.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most people with jobs live with knowing they can be transferred anytime. The guaranteed contracts in the NBA certainly makes that easier to take. I’m just saying that while what is happening appears to be exciting for the average fan I’m pretty confident that the owners are not happy about it and because of that there will be changes.
Fair enough. We'll see.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We arent going to agree obviously, I’m saying it’s not a sustainable model and Silver has already basically admitted that. We will see what happens.

Here's the thing, I don't know how old you are, but I've been following the NBA since 1970. Back then, the NBA was a niche sport and a distant 3rd in popularity. Now, it's 2nd behind the NFL and continues to gain ground.

I remember watching the Showtime Lakers first title on tape delay at 11:30pm. Now, I can watch all 82 games plus any playoffs live. That's not even counting all of the other games that are now televised and league pass.

I remember when people said players making a million dollars a year was considered unsustainable. Now, we have players looking at $47 million per year.

I remember when people said that Magic signing a 25 year/$25 million contract was going to bankrupt the league. Now, that's what a 2nd tier guy gets for 1 year.

Other than showing that I'm old, it also shows that revenues, salaries, popularity, etc. keep exploding.

Maybe if things keep going like they are, it will eventually become unsustainable.

But when you consider that football is slowly losing it's grip because of concussion issues and how little NFL players make compared to the NBA and MLB sending more athletes to those sports that might otherwise choose football...I don't think the NBA is in real danger of reaching unsustainable levels any time soon.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Imo, the only thing that might change (at least any time soon) is the ability for top players to team up.

But even then, I don't know how you prevent it. They changed the cap rules to try to prevent it and players just figured out how to do it anyway.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What kills the small market teams there is the small ones couldn't afford to pay LeBron $50 mil, or $100 mil, or wherever it goes. Not enough revenue to cover the taxes. We talked about how Warriors ownership was poised to eat a lot of tax to keep the big 4 together. They could only do that with their shiny new stadium and big market filled with tech money. No way OKC or Cleveland or Orlando could do that.
Not sure this is true. Gilbert owns a small market team and he has set payroll records for the sport. Sure, there are small market teams who wont spend, but there are probably large market owners who wouldn't spend either. Seems like market matters more when it comes to where FAs will go.

It's not Cleveland who would do it, it's Gilbert. Would Gund have done it? Nope.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know. And I'm saying wait for what? Adam Silver is such a players commish that he renamed the freaking owners. You think he's going to seriously step to them and that union and make major changes?

Again, the owners don't have any reason to change a thing, they are making oodles of money.
Not sure that last line is true. NFL has always done very well and made major changes to their sport in FA.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And for every business person who would be deterred by the way things are trending...there will be at least one (and probably more) who won't be.

I mean, the Clippers of all teams, sold for more than what their actual value was at the time.

It works both ways though. Can you imagine thinking you and your family can settle in to a place for 4 years or longer and then suddenly having to sit down with them and decide whether or not everyone is moving...or you have to live apart from them for half the year?
Yep. Also works the other way in that the guy with 4 years left can also be moved on the owner's whim.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Potato salad can go fuck itself.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Also works the other way in that the guy with 4 years left can also be moved on the owner's whim.

Yep and there's been 3 or 4 players traded recently immediately after signing a deal. It works both ways as you said

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there is nothing silver can do
Agree. Not unilaterally.

But he can make suggestions, and he might. It is possible maybe they come up with something like a franchise tag like the NFL has or something to help smaller markets keep or attract elite players.

Also possible, though, they don't care as long as business is booming, which it is.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there is nothing silver can do

Yeah, I don't know what he can do either. If guys want to team up, they're going to.

Players have started figuring out that they can take less money to play together and make up for it to at least some degree with playoff bonuses for deep runs and especially with endorsements.

Maybe they can figure out a way to make the tampering rules work to make it harder for guys to make the plan to team up...but I don't know how.

How can you prevent players from talking to each other, agents from talking to each other, or even agents from contacting GM's (or vice versa)? No one's going to report it because everyone is guilty of it.