• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Has The Role Of An NBA GM Now Becoming Obscolete?

Has The Role Of The GM be Extinct?

• Yes

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • No

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Potato Salad

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes baseball is somewhat going the way of the NBA but still NBA really seems to be the only league that the players decide where they want to go....

GMs can just sit back and say ok, Do what you want to do.
NBA you need a GM more than any other league.

in football, if you are up against the cap you can just cut people.

in baseball there is no cap.

in the NBA its a big puzzle and there are tons of arcane rules and exceptions and tax aprons and etc.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly....depends on the team. On a team who is a known FA destination the GM just needs to not screw up.

Other teams need a GM.

This era will pass, they have to and will reign this in.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They will do something because this is going to effect real franchise values, meaning the real value someone of wealth will actually pay for a team. When players can get together and cause contracts to not mean anything that is not real attractive from a business standpoint. I don’t see a rich person ponying up to be referred to as a governor.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonna need serious changes to the CBA.

A franchise tag, maybe? Or eliminate max deals.

Franchise tag yes, eliminate max no (that would truly kill any small market hopes)

They will make some changes perhaps, but no one should expect it to go back to how it used to be. Things change/evolve.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They will do something because this is going to effect real franchise values, meaning the real value someone of wealth will actually pay for a team. When players can get together and cause contracts to not mean anything that is not real attractive from a business standpoint. I don’t see a rich person ponying up to be referred to as a governor.

Well, that depends doesn't it? There's still a cap, based on revenues. As long as revenues keep growing the owners (uh I mean governors) make money, the players make money, etc. The players running the league the last 10 years sure hasn't hurt any franchise values yet. Over the last 10 years they've exploded upwards.

And it's not just the good teams, the shitty Knicks are still one of the top 3 in value. The fact is 30 franchises will always have scarcity value, and some billionaire will always want in.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Franchise tag yes, eliminate max no (that would truly kill any small market hopes)

They will make some changes perhaps, but no one should expect it to go back to how it used to be. Things change/evolve.
No max Wouldn't kill small market teams if they still had a cap and allowed a team to go over the cap to keep their own. What it would also do is make it much harder for players to team up. Is Lebron really taking $35 mil when he could get $50 mil+

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that depends doesn't it? There's still a cap, based on revenues. As long as revenues keep growing the owners (uh I mean governors) make money, the players make money, etc. The players running the league the last 10 years sure hasn't hurt any franchise values yet. Over the last 10 years they've exploded upwards.

And it's not just the good teams, the shitty Knicks are still one of the top 3 in value. The fact is 30 franchises will always have scarcity value, and some billionaire will always want in.

Kind of what I meant when I said “real” value. It may take a while but I do see some consequences eventually. Probably nothing major but it’s possible.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No max Wouldn't kill small market teams if they still had a cap and allowed a team to go over the cap to keep their own. What it would also do is make it much harder for players to team up. Is Lebron really taking $35 mil when he could get $50 mil+

What kills the small market teams there is the small ones couldn't afford to pay LeBron $50 mil, or $100 mil, or wherever it goes. Not enough revenue to cover the taxes. We talked about how Warriors ownership was poised to eat a lot of tax to keep the big 4 together. They could only do that with their shiny new stadium and big market filled with tech money. No way OKC or Cleveland or Orlando could do that.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of what I meant when I said “real” value. It may take a while but I do see some consequences eventually. Probably nothing major but it’s possible.

So possible minor consequences that will take a while? Don't see that as a major impetus for change.

Also, what is 'real' value? The value is what some billionaire like Steve Ballmer will pay.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So possible minor consequences that will take a while? Don't see that as a major impetus for change.

Also, what is 'real' value? The value is what some billionaire like Steve Ballmer will pay.

Yes, things have changed even since he bought in. I’m just saying having a system where one employee that is under contract decide he won’t honor his business deal can affect team value if this continues. Silver has already fired the warning shot that changes are coming, they have to.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, things have changed even since he bought in. I’m just saying having a system where one employee that is under contract decide he won’t honor his business deal can affect team value if this continues. Silver has already fired the warning shot that changes are coming, they have to.

But the changes you are talking about haven't affected team values at all. I don't even see how they could.

And are you sure Adam 'ok players, we can call them governors' Silver is gonna have the spine to take on the players?

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the changes you are talking about haven't affected team values at all. I don't even see how they could.

Just saying that I do. It’s not like a bunch of franchises are being sold right now anyway but I know there are business people that would be deterred by the way things are trending. Can you imagine thinking you have 3 superstars tied up for like 4 years and they all the sudden decide they want out? It’s not like a normal business where you can at least come close to replacing those guys.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saying that I do. It’s not like a bunch of franchises are being sold right now anyway but I know there are business people that would be deterred by the way things are trending. Can you imagine thinking you have 3 superstars tied up for like 4 years and they all the sudden decide they want out? It’s not like a normal business where you can at least come close to replacing those guys.

I just don't see any evidence for your view. If any franchise went on the block today, the billionaires would start a bidding war. You're letting your own feelings affect your thinking on this.

Even in the scenario you describe (hasn't happened yet, it's always 1 or 2 that want out) the owner revenues aren't really affected.

It's not the bottom line that is being affected by the players running things. And if anything interest in the sport has never been higher. I'm not saying there shouldn't be some kind of reaction to tamp some of this down, but I don't see any financial impact on the sport overall. Other than positive.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see any evidence for your view. If any franchise went on the block today, the billionaires would start a bidding war. You're letting your own feelings affect your thinking on this.

Even in the scenario you describe (hasn't happened yet, it's always 1 or 2 that want out) the owner revenues aren't really affected.

It's not the bottom line that is being affected by the players running things. And if anything interest in the sport has never been higher. I'm not saying there shouldn't be some kind of reaction to tamp some of this down, but I don't see any financial impact on the sport overall. Other than positive.

Wait for it is what I’m saying.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait for it is what I’m saying.

I know. And I'm saying wait for what? Adam Silver is such a players commish that he renamed the freaking owners. You think he's going to seriously step to them and that union and make major changes?

Again, the owners don't have any reason to change a thing, they are making oodles of money.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know. And I'm saying wait for what? Adam Silver is such a players commish that he renamed the freaking owners. You think he's going to seriously step to them and that union and make major changes?

Again, the owners don't have any reason to change a thing, they are making oodles of money.

We arent going to agree obviously, I’m saying it’s not a sustainable model and Silver has already basically admitted that. We will see what happens.