• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Harper Benching

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a little surprised there is not a thread for this already. Anyhow, I think Matt Williams really messed this one up. If he continues to manage his team in this way, he won't last long as the Nats' manager.

Everything that Williams said in the press conference was right. Harper did not need to all out sprint on the play, but he needed to run through the base. Not doing so is in-excuseable. Williams' handling of the error was equally wrong, however.

Given Harper's reputation, I am not sure that the benching was necessary, but good coach's need to hold their stars accountable the same way they do everyone else. I am okay with the decision to bench him. I am not okay with calling Harper out publicly in the presser. There is simply no need to do that to the face of the franchise.

Make it clear to Harper and the rest of the team why he was pulled, but then give a vague answer to the media. He could have easily referenced the sore quad and said that Harper did not look good running to first and that he felt it best to give him the last couple innings to "rest". Williams only makes himself look bad by airing all of this in the public. Unless this is a recurring issue, there is simply no need. He could lose the respect of the clubhouse if he is not able to protect players from the media is situations like this.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, Matt Williams is a complete idiot.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HarperNoHustle041914.gif

Why would you even bother hustling on that? Especially with a quad injury?

ThruTheEyesOfRuby

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a little puzzling, especially given this blurb from a story in the Washington Post last November..

Harper’s age, skill set and the spotlight he attracts makes him a unique case, and so any manager the Nationals would need a plan for how to get the most out of him. Williams has one. He wants to promote Harper’s natural aggressiveness and in no way wants to tone him down. Williams preached taking extra bases and applying pressure to opponents at his introductory press conference, and Harper fits right into that mold. Rather than reining him in, Williams plans to refine Harper’s approach without losing any of his aggression.

“I love the way he plays the game,” Williams said. “He plays the game the way it should be played. He is all-out, every day, all the time, every game. He’s paid for it by getting injured and running into walls. The greatest compliment I have heard is Mr. Lerner, the night he ran into the wall in L.A., asked how the wall was. Everybody loves that about him. Now can we be a little smarter sometimes? Sure. And not necessarily run into that wall? Of course. The kid’s 21 years old: let him go. This is a stallion. This is a guy that is ready to just explode. We’re going to try to give him the game plan to do that.”

Matt Williams wants to help Bryce Harper, not change him

"Let him go", Matt. lol... holy hell. Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a little puzzling, especially given this blurb from a story in the Washington Post last November..

Matt Williams wants to help Bryce Harper, not change him

"Let him go", Matt. lol... holy hell. Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.

Puzzling isn't it?

Also, batting Harper and Desmond near the bottom of the order at times while guys like Laroche, Span and (although playing well) Rendon occupy prime spots is just odd. It is almost like he is trying to prove to everyone that he is calling the shots. I get that Harper struggles vs. lefties, but he should never bat 7th.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because he is "Nothing but Hustle," duh, Navamind. - Nationals

And Nats fans will continue to challenge any one who says they don't like Bryce and say they're crazy.

Never mind this, him pulling himself from the line up 5 games into the season, setting his bat and helmet down at the plate after a K, waiting for his glove while he's only 21...

Seems like a lot of drama for a guy who is still only 'potential'

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Nats fans will continue to challenge any one who says they don't like Bryce and say they're crazy.

Never mind this, him pulling himself from the line up 5 games into the season, setting his bat and helmet down at the plate after a K, waiting for his glove while he's only 21...

Bingo. If he wasn't such a prima donna, no one would be making a big deal about it.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wow. Talk about a retard. An .830 OPS and a 8.7 WAR through your age 20 season is only "potential." Quit your whining. I hate Harper as I hate every non-Phillies player, but 60% of the league does the same exact thing on ground balls straight back to the pitcher.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. Talk about a retard. An .830 OPS and a 8.7 WAR through your age 20 season is only "potential." Quit your whining. I hate Harper as I hate every non-Phillies player, but 60% of the league does the same exact thing on ground balls straight back to the pitcher.

The comparison he gets is with Trout, not just your run of the mill all-star, like it or not, that's how it is with some folks.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the way WIlliams handled this. ou can't let that arrogant punk act that way; not when he's getting paid millions of dollars. I loved Steve Blass' line "Clown effort, bro". Perfect.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
60% of guys who ground out to shallow infield don't run through first?

ok.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When the guy is being hyped constantly as one of the best young players in the game, he is going to get compared to the best players in the game. The fact is, there aren't many other top players (especially ones so young in their career) who are consistently tied up in as much drama.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all that is said though, Harper is a legitimate all-star caliber player. Denying that is pretty much troll fodder in my book. I do have a problem with putting him in the short list (like some rush to do sometimes; and yes, it happens) among the best players in the league as of right now. I think he can get there, but he isn't right now.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see nothing wrong with what Harper did. If he runs all out and tears his quad, who fault is it?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ok.

Exactly and honestly if a hit a grounder right back to the pitcher, why am I running hard? What are seriously the chances that I beat out the throw or the pitcher makes an error?

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ok.

Then again, 60% of players aren't playing with a quad injury...not to mention, the out was made (1B had the ball in his glove) when Harper started running back towards the dugout.

Last edited by a moderator:

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Harper's quad is in that bad of shape, shouldn't he be on the bench resting it?