• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hall of Fame Plaque Decisions Announced

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In conjunction with the Hall of Fame, the six members of the class of 2014 have made their selections for the logo inclusion on their Hall of Fame plaque: Bobby Cox – Atlanta; Tom Glavine – Atlanta; Tony La Russa – no logo; Greg Maddux – no logo; Frank Thomas – Chicago White Sox; and Joe Torre – New York Yankees.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In conjunction with the Hall of Fame, the six members of the class of 2014 have made their selections for the logo inclusion on their Hall of Fame plaque: Bobby Cox – Atlanta; Tom Glavine – Atlanta; Tony La Russa – no logo; Greg Maddux – no logo; Frank Thomas – Chicago White Sox; and Joe Torre – New York Yankees.

I was pretty interested to see what La Russa would do. I thought for sure he'd god St. Louis over Oakland.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anyone can find anything on this, can you share a list of guys already in the hall with no logo?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didnt even know no logo was an option anymore. Also, I am SHOCKED Maddux is not going with Atlanta. Was there some bad blood at the end?

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didnt even know no logo was an option anymore. Also, I am SHOCKED Maddux is not going with Atlanta. Was there some bad blood at the end?

Not that I know of. He just was torn between the Braves and Cubs, and did not want any bad blood from either.

Also, I now have the info on logo-less HOF plaques. Aside from executives, early pioneers, umpires, and ***** League players, there is only 1 case of this before.

Catfish Hunter.

There is conflicting info on this, with him requesting a blank plaque ( like Maddox, he did not want to upset Oakland or New York ). And, either his plaque is in fact blank, or, MLB went ahead and went with the A's against his wishes.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maddux's career in Atlanta pretty much dwarfs his time in Chicago. It's pretty ridiculous they're not putting him in as a Brave. Even LaRussa is a bit of a surprise to me. He should go in as a Cardinal, but I understand that decision a little more.

An interesting guy will be Piazza. He definitely should go in without a logo. He probably put up more value with the Dodgers, but what he did for the Mets organization can't be measured in WAR and other statistics. Total coin flip between the two teams.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that I know of. He just was torn between the Braves and Cubs, and did not want any bad blood from either.

Also, I now have the info on logo-less HOF plaques. Aside from executives, early pioneers, umpires, and ***** League players, there is only 1 case of this before.

Catfish Hunter.

There is conflicting info on this, with him requesting a blank plaque ( like Maddox, he did not want to upset Oakland or New York ). And, either his plaque is in fact blank, or, MLB went ahead and went with the A's against his wishes.

Nine Hall of Fame players -- Yogi Berra, Catfish Hunter, Andy Cooper, Frank Grant, Pete Hill, Biz Mackey, Luis Santop, Ben Taylor and Cristobal Torriente -- do not have cap logos on their plaques

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Catfish Hunter.

Why would there be bad blood? It's also not his decision, so no one could hold it against him anyway.

Hunter Montana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would there be bad blood? It's also not his decision, so no one could hold it against him anyway.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought a player gets to decide initially; however, the Hall can overturn that decision. So I guess the Hall does have the final decision but they can choose to honor someone's wishes as in the case of Maddux and LaRussa. It doesn't always work like that though. Gary Carter wanted the Mets but the Hall said Expos. I believe the same thing happened with Andre Dawson getting the Expos instead of his wish to go in as a Cub.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought a player gets to decide initially; however, the Hall can overturn that decision. So I guess the Hall does have the final decision but they can choose to honor someone's wishes as in the case of Maddux and LaRussa. It doesn't always work like that though. Gary Carter wanted the Mets but the Hall said Expos. I believe the same thing happened with Andre Dawson getting the Expos instead of his wish to go in as a Cub.

The Devil Rays tried to pay Wade Boggs to select Tampa as his cap. The HOF heard about it and now they decide on the cap....

I'm sure they have discussions with that player. I assume they told Madddux the logical Braves choice and he asked to go in without - out of respect for Chicago.

Pretty cool if you ask me.

Now, I wonder if his plaque will have glasses?

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Devil Rays tried to pay Wade Boggs to select Tampa as his cap. The HOF heard about it and now they decide on the cap....

I'm sure they have discussions with that player. I assume they told Madddux the logical Braves choice and he asked to go in without - out of respect for Chicago.

Excellent question...

542354047.jpg

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nine Hall of Fame players -- Yogi Berra, Catfish Hunter, Andy Cooper, Frank Grant, Pete Hill, Biz Mackey, Luis Santop, Ben Taylor and Cristobal Torriente -- do not have cap logos on their plaques

There are actually a whole bunch of MLB players without logos on their caps but most of them played back when caps generally didn't have logos to begin with. There are also some players who aren't wearing a hat on their plaque at all (for instance I suspect they just didn't want to hide Mel Ott's sexy hair).

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Players used to be able to choose but Wade Boggs (allegedly) took money to go in as a Devil Ray so that came to an end.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The HoF is more strigent since the Boggs fiasco, but the player still gets the initial choice.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

With or Without the headphones?

e0abdf5274935486a0bbbe44c140ea85.jpg