• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

haha - Austin Davis Gets the Start NOT Manziel

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man how the "mighty" have fallen

Browns announce that Austin Davis not Manziel with be the starting QB against the Bengals

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnny Manziel still in doghouse, Austin Davis to start

Browns coach Mike Pettine isn’t through punishing Johnny Manziel for the decision-making that cost him his starting job.

The Browns just announced that Austin Daviswill start for them Sunday at home against the Bengals, and that Manziel would be his backup.

“Austin took advantage of his opportunity on Monday night. He was prepared, played well and put us in position to win,” Pettine said in a statement released by the team. “He’s been great in the quarterback room all season and he has earned the right to start on Sunday. We expect him to play well.”

Davis was subbing for an injured Josh McCown in Monday’s loss to the Ravens, and was 7-of-10 passing for 77 yards. That included a game-tying touchdown pass toTravis Benjamin that might have been a highlight if the Ravens hadn’t blocked a field goal and returned it for the game-winner as time expired.

Davis started eight games for the Rams last year, but this one smacks of being far more about Manziel and his future in Cleveland than anything Davis has done on his own. McCown’s out for the season with a broken clavicle, and Manziel might not be far behind him.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If their plan is to get rid of Manziel after the season this makes no sense. Their season is lost already so whatever personal gripes they have with Johnny are really irrelevant now. They will want to get something for him in a trade and the only way that happens is if they let other teams get a good look at him playing. I think they may as well let him play. If nothing else the Cleveland fans will have some fun watching him and I think that's all they want for the rest of the year.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If their plan is to get rid of Manziel after the season this makes no sense. Their season is lost already so whatever personal gripes they have with Johnny are really irrelevant now. They will want to get something for him in a trade and the only way that happens is if they let other teams get a good look at him playing. I think they may as well let him play. If nothing else the Cleveland fans will have some fun watching him and I think that's all they want for the rest of the year.

and ESPN would go nuts over him again...

"johnny football is BAAAAAAAAAAAACK!!!!!"

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If the Browns were smart, they wouldn't be the Browns now would they!

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Idiots, the Browns knew when they drafted him he was gonna party and that wouldn't change. Austin Davis is not gonna be the Browns QB of the future, Manziel(who they took in the 1st round) has shown some potential but hasn't played enough for anybody to know if he can be a starting caliber QB in the NFL. You might as well let him finish out the year starting and if he is really good then the Browns can either ride with him as their starting QB and not have to draft one again, or try and trade him to a team in need of a QB.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
imagesaadasdas.jpg

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That deserves a celebration... Time for Austin Davis to party!

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I am baffled by this as well. The Browns knew exactly what they were getting themselves into, yet the punish him for doing what they knew he would do.

I think they just signed him to get some recognition to Cleveland

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That deserves a celebration... Time for Austin Davis to party!

I'm pretty sure Davis was the QB for the Rams when they beat us either last year or in our SB year. I kind of forgot about him after that until the other night when he suddenly showed up again.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If their plan is to get rid of Manziel after the season this makes no sense. Their season is lost already so whatever personal gripes they have with Johnny are really irrelevant now. They will want to get something for him in a trade and the only way that happens is if they let other teams get a good look at him playing. I think they may as well let him play. .

spot on

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does it matter who really starts? They're the Browns.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
imagessadasdas.jpg

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
514ce90dce46ce5bd2ca2c1c22b23eb0.jpg

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They might be so sick of his antics that they'd rather cut him or they think he's so ill prepared that his production on the field will only further drop his value in a trade.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
imagesasdsadasdas.jpg

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hahaha not really but it's fun to talk about this isn't it?
Part of me feels bad. After all, I vividly remember the Bengals in the 90's up through 2002. Man, that was some awful football and awful ownership. How Marvin was able to come in and get Brown to give up some of that control is a miracle that goes very under-rated around Cincinnati. He got Brown to give up even more control after that disasterous 2010 season in which they won like 3 games with Ocho-Crapo and T.O. Marvin cleaned house of the poor influences and started building a new team. Hell of a job. Yeah, they've lost in the playoffs, but when you consider all the crap that had to be done to get this franchise back up...nothing short of a miracle, really.

As for JFF...I think he's still in their plans (for now) which is why they keep him benched. A last ditch effort to show him that his off-field antics have real on-field consequences. Despite being very raw still, I'm sure he's got more upside than Austin Davis, and it would be very easy to return right back to JFF and that would only show him that he's in trouble until the team is in need and then all is forgiven when it's not. I think, if they are truly looking at keeping him, then this is the right move.

If Austin takes off, and you move on from JFF, then fine. But if you keep JFF, then you have to show him the hard line at this point to see if it reaches him.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand saying to him his off field antics affect him on the field but they already KNEW about all of this BEFORE they even signed him.... So in reality it's Browns ownership's fault and yes as a result the fans are getting screwed.