• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hack-A-Jordan/Howard/Etc. Rule Change Proposal

How Should Off-the-Ball Fouls Be Handled?

• Option to Decline and Instead Keep Possession.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • One FT and Ball Back.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Two FTs and Ball Back.

• Fouled Team Picks Shooter.

• As the Rules are Now.

Votes: 13 92.9%

• Total voters

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is NOT my idea, but I wanted to know where people stand on this.

Bill Simmons (?) and Nick Wright proposed that head coaches, outside of the final two minutes, should have the choice to decline foul shots on fouls away from the ball. (Instead take the ball out.) This is like how NFL coaches can decline penalties.

1. Excluding final two minutes: keeps the normal comeback strategy intact.
2. Only affects away from the ball fouls: this prevents too much referee judgment calls on legitimate defensive fouls (as opposed to potentially legitimate strategical fouls). It still takes the bad shooter out of handling the ball, too (HC isn't protected from hacks here).

Why would this work?

1. Opposing coaches would rarely agree with each other and thus, the hacking strategy wouldn't be used as often if the HC on offense doesn't allow it. Harder to use that strategy.
2. Most times, teams would shoot the free throws because they were legitimate fouls on good FT shooters. So no negative effect on real fouls.
3. Winning team gets to burn some clock on a new play, instead of free throws being missed with no time run off.
4. If strategical to get one free-throw made from two attempts vs. rolling the dice with possession, HC would choose the FTs.
5. More entertaining, as fewer free-throws and when teams don't score on re-possession, coach's strategy is evaluated.
6. Works because the away from the ball and under two minute exclusion limits negatitive affect.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's my solution

MAKE YOUR DAMN FREE THROWS

Exactly. Fuck a bunch of rule changes to protect players who can't make uncontested 15 foot shots. I'm not particularly a fan of teams doing the Hack-a-Whoever before the last 2 minutes, but making free throws would end it.

As a Lakers fan, I HATED the Hack-a-Shaq, but never wanted a rule change. I figured it was on Shaq to make his free throws. He worked on them and while he certainly never even became a decent free throw shooter, he started doing 2 things that ended the Hack-a-Shaq. One, he started hitting them when they mattered and if a team started it earlier in the game, he'd hit a rhythm and start making a few in a row.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Change the rules because like two players can't make free throws? No.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will always be in favor of the the hack a dumbass strategy.

Seriously, if you can't make a shot that has the word free in it at a 60% clip(at very least) you deserve to be publicly humiliated for long stretches of basketball games.

40% is mind bogglingly bad.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only rule change the NBA needs right now is to let the top 16 teams in the playoffs to make the postseason at lot more interesting.

To add to that, you let the top 4 teams pick who they want to play in the first round, and the rest of the bracket is formed based off seedings from 5-16 not including the 4 teams picked. This is the best idea I've seen in a while. Rewards top 4 seeds in the league with their own first round matchup and they are on their own sides of the bracket split up. Almost makes it like a march madness sweet 16 minus the whole series aspect of it.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And a change to the lottery system would be nice. Everything else should just remain the same.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Potential rules changes that stem from a professional basket ball player who can't shoot?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The impetus for the rule change proposal was the entertainment of the game, at least it was for Nick Wright. He was emphasizing that even with the make your free-throws argument, it was less entertaining. Jordan had 54 attempts in two games.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The impetus for the rule change proposal was the entertainment of the game, at least it was for Nick Wright. He was emphasizing that even with the make your free-throws argument, it was less entertaining. Jordan had 54 attempts in two games.

And? If he could hit his free throws, he wouldn't be shooting 54 free throws in 2 games. And entertaining for who? I'll bet it was plenty entertaining for fans of the opposing team to watch him throw up brick after brick helping to give their team a chance to win.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And? If he could hit his free throws, he wouldn't be shooting 54 free throws in 2 games. And entertaining for who? I'll bet it was plenty entertaining for fans of the opposing team to watch him throw up brick after brick helping to give their team a chance to win.
True. Just wanted to know how everyone felt.

BTW, I agree with you. But I don't have Jordan on my team. If another Jordan weren't on another team, my team might have two championships.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. Just wanted to know how everyone felt.

BTW, I agree with you. But I don't have Jordan on my team. If another Jordan weren't on another team, my team might have two championships.

:agree:

I'm actually hoping the Lakers get Jordan in FA (if they don't get Marc Gasol in FA or Okafor in the draft) even with his free throw issues. The Lakers have plenty of experience with centers who can't hit free throws. :lol:

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is incomprehensible to me that any player including Dwight Howard, Andre Jordan, Shaq Oneal and a few others are getting paid millions of dollars a year to be a professional player and athlete on the court and yet they are so fucking lazy that they can't take enough time out of their schedule and learn how to make simple free throws. I propose a better rule - If a player fails to make 75% or more of his free throws - he gets fined $100 for every free throw he misses. Let's motivate them to work harder for their money

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I propose a better rule - If a player fails to make 75% or more of his free throws - he gets fined $100 for every free throw he misses. Let's motivate them to work harder for their money

75% might be a little high but that is a great idea.

Nothing irritates me more than a basketball player not being able to top 60% at the charity stripe. There are 65 year woman that can hit at that clip.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
change a rule in the game because 2 guys cant do their job

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is incomprehensible to me that any player including Dwight Howard, Andre Jordan, Shaq Oneal and a few others are getting paid millions of dollars a year to be a professional player and athlete on the court and yet they are so fucking lazy that they can't take enough time out of their schedule and learn how to make simple free throws. I propose a better rule - If a player fails to make 75% or more of his free throws - he gets fined $100 for every free throw he misses. Let's motivate them to work harder for their money
75% might be a little high but that is a great idea.

Nothing irritates me more than a basketball player not being able to top 60% at the charity stripe. There are 65 year woman that can hit at that clip.

You could let the player be paid their free throw percentage - as in Jordan gets 42% of his contract. The great free-throw shooters are often paid a small total, but would get nearly all of it.

No, I'm not being serious.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could let the player be paid their free throw percentage - as in Jordan gets 42% of his contract. The great free-throw shooters are often paid a small total, but would get nearly all of it.

No, I'm not being serious.
I am too - I think it's time that the team owners puts some responsibility on these players. I realize that you can't give talent to a person who has none, but the reason they are NBA players is because they are supposed to have that; so now they need to add some integrity and professionalism to the sport and make it interesting

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's only one rule change I want to see and that is the 24 second violation. I think a technical foul should be awarded if a team can't get a shot off in 24 secs.