• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Greg Roman has to go..

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again as I have posted in other threads, be mindful it's not Roman calling a play that says he Kaep have Llyod run to the outside and throw it inside directly to Sherman or hey, he picked us off once, let's see if we can get it back and throw it at him. Kaep is the one executing the offense so either he doesn't have the right grasp of the offense or something is amiss between the play calling and execution.

It is because Kaepernick cares about who gets the ball and how he does what. That's why we tried the same play in the NFCC game as the Super Bowl. He wants to beat Sherman. He hasn't done it yet.

I do not want to open up a debate about quarterbacks, but caring about who gets the ball is not something that Smith does. Smith might've been looking for Walker, the wide-open tight end, in the Super Bowl. (no, not saying we would be there with them, just illustrating.) If Kaepernick could understand that he doesn't need swagger or style points there, he would get more because he's more physically talented than Smith.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes He needs to fired last night. This guy is whats killing this offense.

GoreRush

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do want him gone (and was hoping to wake up to a press conference from Santa Clara) but the plays Greg Roman calls do not matter if Kaepernick can't scan the field for a wide open check down or if he airmails him altogether.

GoreRush

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the more I think about... Dunno if Roman keeps his job but he's just a piece of the problem. Harbaugh, John Morton, Solari, et al. to blame, too.

Number7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should give people credit when you copy their thoughts off twitter.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I do want him gone (and was hoping to wake up to a press conference from Santa Clara) but the plays Greg Roman calls do not matter if Kaepernick can't scan the field for a wide open check down or if he airmails him altogether.

agree.

he can't see everything on every pass play, but seems he can't see the entire field consistently enough?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't run screens and we can't defend the screen just weird. we need to let Crabtree go and sign a receiver like Cobb or Maclin.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We don't run screens and we can't defend the screen just weird. we need to let Crabtree go and sign a receiver like Cobb or Maclin.

do think Crabtree won't be re-signed. would be nice to draft a quality WR, or at least someone who can open quickly (mid rounds).

hey, maybe Patton will get some reps soon? not a lot mind you, but get in for a few reps.

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Maybe the daughter knows something about what Dad is thinking here:
49ers' Baalke apologizes to Roman over daughter's tweet - San Jose Mercury News

Cassie Baalke, a sophomore in college, has deleted the Twitter account she used to vent this: "Greg Roman can take a hike. The 49ers don't want you no more."

Another story line to add to the ever growing one about how the 49ers are not in sync. Though, Trent came out and apologized I think there is a part of him that agrees.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either Harbaugh lets Roman go or if he doesn't want to let him go both go. I wouldn't mind seeing us Pick up Seattles OC D. Quinn. He runs a perfect Offense for his QB. He can do the same with Kap and the Offense we have. Fangio would also be in discussion along with Gruden if he wants to come back to coaching.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either Harbaugh lets Roman go or if he doesn't want to let him go both go. I wouldn't mind seeing us Pick up Seattles OC D. Quinn. He runs a perfect Offense for his QB. He can do the same with Kap and the Offense we have. Fangio would also be in discussion along with Gruden if he wants to come back to coaching.

Gruden is an intriguing possibility and definitely has a big enough personality (but maybe this front office doesn't want that); however, I'd rather that the Niners bring in someone fresh.

HighTopFade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Shanahan for OC? He did all right with mobile quarterback Steve Young.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Shanahan for OC? He did all right with mobile quarterback Steve Young.

He didnt do so well with RGIII.

To me it comes down to what your opinion of a mobile QB is. In my opinion, Kaep doesnt fall under the same category as other mobile QBs, because most other QBs can scramble and make things happen in and around the pocket and still look to throw down the field. Kaep has never done that. Never seen him do that one time. Maybe you could argue he did it at the saints game on the 4th down prayer, when he moved outside the pocket to the right. Closest play of his that I have seen to a scramble from Kaep.

Otherwise he just gets sacked, because he doesnt have the same burst in short spaces, he is not elusive at all. Colt McCoy is far more elusive then Kaep, for example. Yes, his straight line speed is special, there is no doubting that, but it only works if you have designed a QB run, and teams now are expecting it so it works far less then in the past, again he usually just gets sacked if he tries to run.

Also, I think it is worth saying he that the coaches are well aware of Kaeps strengths, even more so then we are. They probably dont call plays moving the pocket with bootlegs and other things because Kaep and/or other personnel like the Oline arent very good at it.
They did run two plays in the 2nd half, that it remember moving the pocket to the right and then throwing the ball back across the field wide open receivers and that worked very well but they werent your typical plays moving the pocket. It was very basic read and completion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take Shanahan over Roman in a heartbeat. Shanahan was head coach in Washington and sometimes even really good OCs fail as head coaches. I doubt at this stage of his career he would go back to being an OC, but who knows.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 506.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dan Quinn is our DC. You are thinking of Darrell Bevell.
If you asked many Seahawk fans, they would love for SF to take him away allowing us to replace him. He gets lots of heat from Seattle fans even after a win. I don't think he is anything special as I am neither for or against him.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Whether you keep Kaep in the pocket or move it outside, the issue remains the same.........Kaep's ability to see the field and react quickly.

He is mobile and does buy time, but what does he do with the extra time? You could cite a few big plays but overall, he doesn't get enough out of it.

Actually, he is mobile only if he takes two steps forward and starts running. if he scrambles in the backfield, he isn't THAT mobile over other QB's.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No thanks. Why would we want their OC? It is not like he is running some juggernaut up there. And if the 49ers are going to hire a DC, I would promote fangio. Fangio and his staff have done a great job dealing with all the injuries. Look how well the D has done considering all the changes.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe we do what the Ravens did a couple years ago (when they won the Super Bowl) and fire our offensive coordinator in December. They promoted their QB coach Jim Caldwell to be OC. Who could we promote from within?