• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Greg Cosell's Observations

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seahawks 29, 49ers 3
• Overall this was a poor performance by 49ers offense both tactically and physically. The Seahawks are not that multiple schematically; against San Francisco they predominantly just lined up and played.

View gallery
(USA Today Sports Images)
• The 49ers do not ask quarterback Colin Kaepernick to do a lot of progression reading. They scheme his success. Against the Seahawks, the 49ers struggled to scheme open receivers. Shifts, motion, bunch and stack formations were not a part of the 49ers' approach, as they were against the Packers.
Kaepernick played fast without a lot of poise. He was uncertain and tentative in the pocket. Kaepernick stayed too long on primary reads and left plays on the field, including a touchdown on third and goal at the 3-yard line in the third quarter, when he showed a lack of patience and vision. On Earl Thomas' red zone interception, it was an inaccurate throw by Kaepernick, He had Vernon Davis wide open and threw it too far outside.

• The Seahawks' secondary was better than the 49ers' receivers. Normally Seattle's Richard Sherman stays at left cornerback, but he followed Anquan Boldin much of the game, including in the slot. Boldin cannot separate against quality man coverage. He needs help to get open, from formation and play design. Boldin gets exposed when you line him up outside the numbers against quality corners. This was a game in which the 49ers' loss of receiver Michael Crabtree was a factor.

• The 49ers' offensive line got handled in run game for the second consecutive week, which is a concern. This was as poor a game as I’ve seen left guard Mike Iupati play. Right tackle Anthony Davis also had a bad game, especially in pass protection.

• In the first half, Seattle running back Marshawn Lynch's success running the ball came out of three-receiver sets versus San Francisco's nickel defense. From "11" formations (one back, one tight end) he had eight carries for 71 yards. Lynch was a sustaining factor in run game; quarterback Russell Wilson made a few throws but the Seahawks offense did not dominate the 49ers defense. Wilson was again tentative in the first quarter, and had an inaccurate throw to tight end Zach Miller on what would have been a touchdown in the second quarter.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Seahawks 29, 49ers 3
• Overall this was a poor performance by 49ers offense both tactically and physically. The Seahawks are not that multiple schematically; against San Francisco they predominantly just lined up and played.

View gallery
(USA Today Sports Images)
• The 49ers do not ask quarterback Colin Kaepernick to do a lot of progression reading. They scheme his success. Against the Seahawks, the 49ers struggled to scheme open receivers. Shifts, motion, bunch and stack formations were not a part of the 49ers' approach, as they were against the Packers.
Kaepernick played fast without a lot of poise. He was uncertain and tentative in the pocket. Kaepernick stayed too long on primary reads and left plays on the field, including a touchdown on third and goal at the 3-yard line in the third quarter, when he showed a lack of patience and vision. On Earl Thomas' red zone interception, it was an inaccurate throw by Kaepernick, He had Vernon Davis wide open and threw it too far outside.

• The Seahawks' secondary was better than the 49ers' receivers. Normally Seattle's Richard Sherman stays at left cornerback, but he followed Anquan Boldin much of the game, including in the slot. Boldin cannot separate against quality man coverage. He needs help to get open, from formation and play design. Boldin gets exposed when you line him up outside the numbers against quality corners. This was a game in which the 49ers' loss of receiver Michael Crabtree was a factor.

The 49ers' offensive line got handled in run game for the second consecutive week, which is a concern. This was as poor a game as I’ve seen left guard Mike Iupati play. Right tackle Anthony Davis also had a bad game, especially in pass protection.

• In the first half, Seattle running back Marshawn Lynch's success running the ball came out of three-receiver sets versus San Francisco's nickel defense. From "11" formations (one back, one tight end) he had eight carries for 71 yards. Lynch was a sustaining factor in run game; quarterback Russell Wilson made a few throws but the Seahawks offense did not dominate the 49ers defense. Wilson was again tentative in the first quarter, and had an inaccurate throw to tight end Zach Miller on what would have been a touchdown in the second quarter.

for me, the O-line was the largest concern. this UNIT should be in their 'prime'?

Kaep's performance is a concern too, but give him more experience to see if this improves? he doesn't need to "all of a sudden" be good, but just improve a step or two. he does take a split second too long, so he needs MAX protection.

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
for me, the O-line was the largest concern. this UNIT should be in their 'prime'?

Kaep's performance is a concern too, but give him more experience to see if this improves? he doesn't need to "all of a sudden" be good, but just improve a step or two. he does take a split second too long, so he needs MAX protection.

Clearly not a real good performance by Kaep. A good deal of that has to be that there was no run game whatsoever nor were his receivers getting open. Hard to look very good as a QB with that going on.

I was very dissappointed in Boldin. Is that the best he can do against press coverage? Get stuck within 3 yards of the line of scrimmage?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Clearly not a real good performance by Kaep. A good deal of that has to be that there was no run game whatsoever nor were his receivers getting open. Hard to look very good as a QB with that going on.

I was very dissappointed in Boldin. Is that the best he can do against press coverage? Get stuck within 3 yards of the line of scrimmage?

yep, the run game is tied into the O-line, again poor game by this Unit.

not surprised about Boldin and press coverage, but this is when others have to step up.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luckily when we next play Seattle it will be at home and more than likely with Manningham and Crabtree.

I still wonder if replacing Alex with Kaep was the right move for now. Kaep is a way better athlete with a very strong arm, but it seems he struggles when a team can take away his ability to physically dominate the game. He doesn't seem as good at spreading the ball around which is probably due to him not reading the plays as fast. He also is not as good at making pre-snap reads. Where it seems Alex has hit a point in his career where the game feels natural to him, and he understands what his game is, it appears Kaep is still struggling to understand it at times.

Kaep was always the better pick for the future, and is much more capable of taking over a game though. It would be nice though in tough games if he was a little better at the mental aspects of the game. That's something we need him to catch up on quick.

I do feel sorry for the Colts this week though. Kaep can and will dominate them with it being a home game.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luckily when we next play Seattle it will be at home and more than likely with Manningham and Crabtree.

I still wonder if replacing Alex with Kaep was the right move for now. Kaep is a way better athlete with a very strong arm, but it seems he struggles when a team can take away his ability to physically dominate the game. He doesn't seem as good at spreading the ball around which is probably due to him not reading the plays as fast. He also is not as good at making pre-snap reads. Where it seems Alex has hit a point in his career where the game feels natural to him, and he understands what his game is, it appears Kaep is still struggling to understand it at times.

Kaep was always the better pick for the future, and is much more capable of taking over a game though. It would be nice though in tough games if he was a little better at the mental aspects of the game. That's something we need him to catch up on quick.

I do feel sorry for the Colts this week though. Kaep can and will dominate them with it being a home game.

I don't think Smith would have done any better. Smith had a stinker against the NY Giants last year and this game was a much tougher challenge for the QB.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You are kidding, right? Kaep gives us an opportunity to win every game simply with his willingness to throw downfield. Maybe Smith's dink and dunk throws would work initially but then the defense presses man all over the field and suddenly the opposing team is DARING the Niners to throw beyond 10 yards. Kap has no problem doing exactly that. Smith seemed allergic to the idea.

As far as reads go, it would be easy to say that Kap is struggling, but Smith had the same problems getting plays off and making pre-snap reads in time. This tells me that it is more the communication of the offense, maybe the complexity, that is the problem, not the QB. As far as locking onto WRs, this may be somewhat true but you are basing this off of one game vs. SEA in SEA. You probably weren't complaining about this when Kap put up 412 yards vs. GB. I just don't believe that Kap doesn't or can't read defenses, pre or post snap. I just think that SEA's secondary played about as perfect a game as they could against us while our WR corp did NOTHING to get off the LOS jams that SEA was doing on virtually every play.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are kidding, right? Kaep gives us an opportunity to win every game simply with his willingness to throw downfield. Maybe Smith's dink and dunk throws would work initially but then the defense presses man all over the field and suddenly the opposing team is DARING the Niners to throw beyond 10 yards. Kap has no problem doing exactly that. Smith seemed allergic to the idea.

As far as reads go, it would be easy to say that Kap is struggling, but Smith had the same problems getting plays off and making pre-snap reads in time. This tells me that it is more the communication of the offense, maybe the complexity, that is the problem, not the QB. As far as locking onto WRs, this may be somewhat true but you are basing this off of one game vs. SEA in SEA. You probably weren't complaining about this when Kap put up 412 yards vs. GB. I just don't believe that Kap doesn't or can't read defenses, pre or post snap. I just think that SEA's secondary played about as perfect a game as they could against us while our WR corp did NOTHING to get off the LOS jams that SEA was doing on virtually every play.

I would also add that Smith would have struggled with the lack of running game. I am not a Smith hater at all. But he wouldn't have done any better in that environment in Seattle.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The wide receivers, the quarterback and the running back were huge disappointments as well.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
eventually kap was gonna toss a stinker, guys still young. i'm expecting a big game from kap against the colts.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The timing of replacing Smith with Kaepernick was the perfect time for all involved. It was the right move for the Niners then and now.

Any struggles that Kaepernick has, he has to play live games to overcome. He wouldn't do so from the bench and Smith playing wouldn't help him. And I believe he will overcome the difficulties - and if not, he's already good enough without overcoming the struggles. I won't call them weaknesses because he hasn't played long enough to fix them, so why categorize them as such? Plus, it's one game or two games against one team, I won't call them as bigger than they are. Anything more is like chicken little. No one's perfect, including Kaepernick, so I'm only talking about what he could work on.

I won't talk about Smith's struggles or weaknesses because it's no longer relevant, but we all know them.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Lots of people have weighed in on this, and I'm not going to re-hash it. One area where I think Kap's ability has perhaps been underrated relative to Smith, though, is his ability to escape the pocket. Smith would have taken about 7 sacks against the Hawks. Maybe more. Kap doesn't always make plays when he should, but he does a very good job of sensing pressure and escaping it. That was arguably Smith's biggest weakness IMO.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
eventually kap was gonna toss a stinker, guys still young. i'm expecting a big game from kap against the colts.

yep, all QB's do.....all players for that matter. it is ok as long as this loss doesn't stay with him. this applies to the entire team, just move on and get back to 'blue collar'.

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not blaming the refs by any means, but it sure seemed to me like Seattles secondary got away with murder. It took picking up Kyle Williams and slamming him to the ground (I think it was williams) to draw a penalty but that PI on asomugha was incredibly ticky tack. The way they let Boldin and Sherman slug it out past five yards was concerning too. I counted at least a half dozen brazen holding and illegal contacts on Sherman.

Just can't figure out why they continually get away with it. They still played better than we did and deserved the win, just an observation.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not blaming the refs by any means, but it sure seemed to me like Seattles secondary got away with murder. It took picking up Kyle Williams and slamming him to the ground (I think it was williams) to draw a penalty but that PI on asomugha was incredibly ticky tack. The way they let Boldin and Sherman slug it out past five yards was concerning too. I counted at least a half dozen brazen holding and illegal contacts on Sherman.

Just can't figure out why they continually get away with it. They still played better than we did and deserved the win, just an observation.

I do think they are given alittle more leeway because they have the reputation of being physical and are always playing that way