• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Green Bay Signs Kyle Fuller to Offer Sheet

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had we of used the franchise tag, we would have protected Fuller and paid him 14M, committing Fuller to just one year to prove it again. Now he essentially has no choice but to match the offer of signing Fuller to multiple years. Big mistake by Pace. Pace just got owned.
Actually only 18 million is guaranteed so this is a good deal for the Bears.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom line- the Bears were extending him. Just a question of how. The issue of keeping Fuller wasn't really much of a question: He'd have been the top off-man CB on the FA market (most of the guys who got paid are press guys like Trumaine Johnson)
Fuller is only 26 and an ascending player.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuller is only 26 and an ascending player.

He needs to avoid complacency after getting paid.

There were huge questions about his work ethic and how genuine his injury was that kept him out for the duration of 2016. Dude had a knee scope and mysteriously missed the damn season. lol

There was an article this past season about how the Bears track the use player's team distributed iPads for film study. Fuller had been dead last on that list in 15 and 16. Suddenly, in a contract year for 2017. He blows everyone else away in minutes logged studying film. Becomes a gym rat, never leaves the facility and goes from playing with a rather even keel persona. To being a damn monster out there, showing ferocious intensity.

I am well aware that people (especially young men in their 20's) turn all kinds of corners from a maturity standpoint and that perhaps 2016 was a wake-up call. However, I cannot rule out the "pessimistic" side of this. Which indicates he'll revert back to his old ways.

That being said... I'm sure he saw what he was capable of this past season when he puts the work in. It has to be appealing to stick with it. Let's hope he has a brain in his head.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He needs to avoid complacency after getting paid.

There were huge questions about his work ethic and how genuine his injury was that kept him out for the duration of 2016. Dude had a knee scope and mysteriously missed the damn season. lol

There was an article this past season about how the Bears track the use player's team distributed iPads for film study. Fuller had been dead last on that list in 15 and 16. Suddenly, in a contract year for 2017. He blows everyone else away in minutes logged studying film. Becomes a gym rat, never leaves the facility and goes from playing with a rather even keel persona. To being a damn monster out there, showing ferocious intensity.

I am well aware that people (especially young men in their 20's) turn all kinds of corners from a maturity standpoint and that perhaps 2016 was a wake-up call. However, I cannot rule out the "pessimistic" side of this. Which indicates he'll revert back to his old ways.

That being said... I'm sure he saw what he was capable of this past season when he puts the work in. It has to be appealing to stick with it. Let's hope he has a brain in his head.

He comes from a good pedigree. I could see last year being him not being 100% and maybe not seeing the value in rushing back to a horrid team, then compound that with an oldschool coach that was probably on his ass...maybe it blew up and Foxy told him where to go....I dunno, 2016 did not sit well with me regarding him and his injury, but I've always thought he had good technique and was a solid tackler, the latter generally being a good indicator of a DB's heart.

He has a chance to take it to the next level this year, and if he DOES improve on last year's performance, he could easily be mentioned in the same breath as some of the top CBs in the league.

I'm pulling for him. We need him to match or exceed this year's level of play...which was astounding IMO.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He comes from a good pedigree. I could see last year being him not being 100% and maybe not seeing the value in rushing back to a horrid team, then compound that with an oldschool coach that was probably on his ass...maybe it blew up and Foxy told him where to go....I dunno, 2016 did not sit well with me regarding him and his injury, but I've always thought he had good technique and was a solid tackler, the latter generally being a good indicator of a DB's heart.

He has a chance to take it to the next level this year, and if he DOES improve on last year's performance, he could easily be mentioned in the same breath as some of the top CBs in the league.

I'm pulling for him. We need him to match or exceed this year's level of play...which was astounding IMO.

Yeah, he was always a really good tackler and had good open field instincts. Made athletic plays.

He just got beaten so consistently. His technique sucked. #1 WR's literally pulverized him in 14 and 15.

I have a good feeling from here on out, but we'll see. I also like that we'll have the exact same secondary coming back, with the same DC. This franchise has lacked continuity on defense since Lovie was shown the door. It's been pure chaos.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he was always a really good tackler and had good open field instincts. Made athletic plays.

He just got beaten so consistently. His technique sucked. #1 WR's literally pulverized him in 14 and 15.

I have a good feeling from here on out, but we'll see. I also like that we'll have the exact same secondary coming back, with the same DC. This franchise has lacked continuity on defense since Lovie was shown the door. It's been pure chaos.

I think he's always had pretty good footwork, but his size seemed to get him worked over early on. Seems he is stronger now tho. I don't know...I'm glad they locked him up tho.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's always had pretty good footwork, but his size seemed to get him worked over early on. Seems he is stronger now tho. I don't know...I'm glad they locked him up tho.

Yeah. Bryant, Calvin, Fitz... the more physical receivers used to bitch him around in one-on-ones. Not anymore.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Fuller.
But I don't like players that seem only to chase money.
Fuller strikes me as that type.
And that type usually disappoint.
I hope you're right and he matured.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom line- the Bears were extending him. Just a question of how. The issue of keeping Fuller wasn't really much of a question: He'd have been the top off-man CB on the FA market (most of the guys who got paid are press guys like Trumaine Johnson)

No one in here knows if the Bears were planning on extending Fuller beyond next year. The purpose of the tag was to keep him around for one more year to prove it and to make sure last year wasn't the exception to the rule.

It's so typical, everybody wanted him gone last year. Then Pace gets screwed and now everyone is acting like Fuller is a sure thing CB. He is not a sure thing. He had one good year--his contract year btw. I've always liked Fuller moreso than anyone else in here. But even I doubt he's as good as he was last year or as bad as he was the years before. He's somewhere in the middle, and if that's the case we're overpaying for him now because Pace screwed up.

That's the bottom line. End of thread.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one in here knows if the Bears were planning on extending Fuller beyond next year. The purpose of the tag was to keep him around for one more year to prove it and to make sure last year wasn't the exception to the rule.
Given the penny-pinching with Meredith, it looks to me it's just more penny-pinching. The result was determined. They let another team negotiate the deal (or not). If you think the deal is stupid, that's fine. Transition tags have multiple purposes, they don't just do 1 thing like you are acting like. That's an overly simplistic view of what a transition tag does.

It's so typical, everybody wanted him gone last year

Of all the people to make this argument against on this forum?

. Then Pace gets screwed and now everyone is acting like Fuller is a sure thing CB
I said no such thing. I thought they should extend him for other reasons, but a sure thing no.

I've always liked Fuller moreso than anyone else in here. But even I doubt he's as good as he was last year or as bad as he was the years before. He's somewhere in the middle, and if that's the case we're overpaying for him now because Pace screwed up.

Really doubt it matters with where this team is currently versus its contention window. The moment it'd actually become a real actual issue with the cap (let's say Fuller sucks for fun) he's gone.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, pet peeve: Making the player prove it is actually how you get into cap problems or just lose talent. It's the GM's fucking job to know the difference between a player putting it together, niche player, and just a loafer grabbing money.

Also, I would pay attention with Meredith. I'd be shocked if someone didn't try to offer him at least something as the WR market dries up.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, pet peeve: Making the player prove it is actually how you get into cap problems or just lose talent. It's the GM's fucking job to know the difference between a player putting it together, niche player, and just a loafer grabbing money.

Also, I would pay attention with Meredith. I'd be shocked if someone didn't try to offer him at least something as the WR market dries up.

definitely...prolly the fuckin' Packers again. lulz

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's so typical, everybody wanted him gone last year. Then Pace gets screwed and now everyone is acting like Fuller is a sure thing CB. He is not a sure thing. He had one good year--his contract year btw. I've always liked Fuller moreso than anyone else in here. But even I doubt he's as good as he was last year or as bad as he was the years before. He's somewhere in the middle, and if that's the case we're overpaying for him now because Pace screwed up.

That's the bottom line. End of thread.

queer

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you talking about 2019?
Meredith has a contract with the Bears for 2018.
Inman and Wright are still FA.
Deonte Thompson (who played for the Bills) is also a FA.
I thought he had good hands.​

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you talking about 2019?
Meredith has a contract with the Bears for 2018.
Inman and Wright are still FA.
Deonte Thompson (who played for the Bills) is also a FA.
I thought he had good hands.​
A RFA Meredith is. He can be offered a contract.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was.
Now he's signed through 2018 and will be a UFA in 2019.
His contract details here.

View attachment 176173
That's the contract of his tender.

What makes a restricted free agent different?

Unlike an unrestricted free agent who can either re-sign with their current team or test the open market and go elsewhere, restricted free agents are tied down unless a team allows them to become an unrestricted free agent.

Teams have four different tender options they can place on their restricted free agent that usually keeps those players from leaving.

1. First-round tender: Free agent can negotiate with other teams, but original team has option to match any deal and will receive a first-round selection if it opts not to match the deal.
  2. Second-round tender: Free agent can negotiate with other teams, but original team has option to match any deal and will receive a second-round selection if it opts not to match the deal.
  3. Original-round tender: Free agent can negotiate with other teams, but original team has option to match any deal and will receive a selection equal to the round the player was originally selected in if it opts not to match the deal.
  4. Right of first refusal: Free agent can negotiate with other teams, but original team has option to match any deal. The team will not receive any compensation if it opts not to match another deal.

The Bears gave an original round tender to Meredith. (See: Bears' Cameron Meredith: Gets original-round tender) Meredith to my recollection went undrafted so there's no compensation if the Bears do not match for whatever reason. In theory if nobody offers him anything, then it plays out like you said, but I'd be kinda surprised with how many teams are in search of WR's.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be kinda surprised with how many teams are in search of WR's.
Well if there's good news about Meredith's situation...
Teams may view his 2016 stats as a fluke.
They may also see his 2017 injury as a red flag.
He may not be viewed as worthy of more $$$.
I think Pace would match anyway.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if there's good news about Meredith's situation...
Teams may view his 2016 stats as a fluke.
They may also see his 2017 injury as a red flag.
He may not be viewed as worthy of more $$$.
I think Pace would match anyway.
Yeah, bottom line is he'll be a Bear. It may be a costly cap mistake or a shrewd reading of the market. We will see.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be very, very disappointed if we didn't match a Meredith offer sheet.

God damn, that would suck. I was so excited to see him play this past year. If that knee is healthy, he's going to break out. IMO