• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Greatest NFL Player Tournament - (12) Joe Greene vs (22) John Elway

Who was a better player?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Week

12th seed - DT Joe Greene vs 22nd seed - QB John Elway
13th seed - QB Sammy Baugh vs 19th seed - QB Brett Favre

Seeds are based on a ranking from NFL.com. I did not include the two offensive linemen that are in the top 24.

This will be double elimination. Allowed to change votes until deadline. Higher seed advances in case of a tie.

Bracket

4kzk02.jpg

4kk7bd.png

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of Joe Greene's career, he was with one of the best defenses of all time. You really cannot say that with Elway. So, I would say Elway did more with very less.

But Elway was overshadowed by Montana, Aikman, Young, etc. Joe Greene was really not in anybody's shadow. That is why I picked Joe Greene.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Elway earlier in his career was just asked to do so much... He literally carried those Denver teams to Super Bowl appearances... He just ran into some ridiculously good teams back in the day... But once Elway got a running game, a better defense... It was lights out .... I got to see Elway play live 1 time in the Kingdome in Seattle and he was effing really good .... Threw the ball like a baseball ... Definitely one of a kind ... Joe Greene was obviously a monster, but he did have talent all around him with those old Pitt defenses.... Elway carried Denver for years with much lesser talent.... I'm leaning Elway for what he meant too those old Denver teams..

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Elway earlier in his career was just asked to do so much... He literally carried those Denver teams to Super Bowl appearances... He just ran into some ridiculously good teams back in the day... But once Elway got a running game, a better defense... It was lights out .... I got to see Elway play live 1 time in the Kingdome in Seattle and he was effing really good .... Threw the ball like a baseball ... Definitely one of a kind ... Joe Greene was obviously a monster, but he did have talent all around him with those old Pitt defenses.... Elway carried Denver for years with much lesser talent.... I'm leaning Elway for what he meant too those old Denver teams..

Mean Joe Greene ment even more to the Steel Curtain and the Steelers. Some would say he WAS the Steel Curtain. His refusal and hatered of losing turned what had been a putrid franchise around. He was the foundation the franchise was rebuilt upon by Chuck Noll and the Rooneys. Now don't get me wrong, other pieces were added but he was the first cog in the dynasty and his attitude set the tone for all that came after him. He was also willing to sacrifice himself for the good of the team to let others suceed so as to win. He lined up in the Slant Nose knowing he would get triple teamed but others could run free and if he wasn't triple teamed he'd make the tackle in the backfield. He also came from a small school in Texas and had never been to a big city before he was drafted by the Steelers and yet, you never heard about any trouble off the field. Class act and one of the nicest guys off the field but monster and destructive force on it. You can't beat that!!!

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mean Joe Greene ment even more to the Steel Curtain and the Steelers. Some would say he WAS the Steel Curtain. His refusal and hatered of losing turned what had been a putrid franchise around. He was the foundation the franchise was rebuilt upon by Chuck Noll and the Rooneys. Now don't get me wrong, other pieces were added but he was the first cog in the dynasty and his attitude set the tone for all that came after him. He was also willing to sacrifice himself for the good of the team to let others suceed so as to win. He lined up in the Slant Nose knowing he would get triple teamed but others could run free and if he wasn't triple teamed he'd make the tackle in the backfield. He also came from a small school in Texas and had never been to a big city before he was drafted by the Steelers and yet, you never heard about any trouble off the field. Class act and one of the nicest guys off the field but monster and destructive force on it. You can't beat that!!!

Yes, you can beat that, I just think Elway doesn't.

Even though he was the only HOF player on the Steel Curtain, he had other HOF talent around him for most of his career. Ham, Lambert, Blount. And yes, he did prove himself before them. But don't try to make it seem he was the only one who stood out on that defense. Elway had much less for most of his career.

However, I think Elway was in too many shadows throughout his career. Joe Greene was the one casting the shadow.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greene by a country mile. Dominant force in the middle of what was one of the best, if not the best, defenses of all time in an era when defenses were more important than offenses.

Elway is overrated. His modern day comparison isn't that much different than thinking of Matt Stafford with running ability. He threw more than most QB's so his overall stats were high. But he was an extremely average QB efficiency wise (actually below average efficiency).

Elway is a HOF no doubt. But he is remembered for being a much better player than he actually was.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He was great no doubt... That's why it's always tough picking... But I just felt like Elway carried that Denver team for years... Greene had beastly talent all around him... Elway willed some of those Denver teams to the Super Bowl with much less talent... No knock on Greene though... He was great...