• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Greatest NFL Player Tournament - (11) Ronnie Lott vs (22) John Elway

Who was a better player?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO best safety to play the game (if someone disagrees it's preference but Lott is ALWAYS in the discussion) vs. an overrated QB with one of the best RBs (until injury) in the NFL and not too shabby a D either. Elway was good don't get me wrong and decent when it counted, but when some analysts/people mention him top 5 (let alone top 10) I can't help but roll my eyes.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a reverse homer on this one. I hated Elway 30 years ago, why would I like him now?

FIFY, he was drafted in 1983. Unless you knew who he was prior to college.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lott isn't the best DB of all-time. Not even close. He was good, but he was a product of media hype. I would have guys like Rod Woodson, Champ Bailey, Night Train Lane, Mel Blount, and Ed Reed over him, among others.

As for Elway, Cdumler7 was right when he was put in a bad offense. People focus too much on his stats. Steve Watson called Reeves' system the Edsel System, and basically said that Dan cared more about pass protection than attacking a defense.

Elway had good numbers in college, and when he reunited with his ex-QB coach Jim Fassel in 93, he started posting those same numbers again. Elway was the only reason that the 86 and 87 Bronco teams were even in the Super Bowl, and he is a top-5 QB all-time easy.

Given the poor quality of offensive lines that Reeves consistently fielded, to say that he emphasized pass protection seems odd. Wasn't until Shanahan replaced Reeves and got guys like Schlereth, Zimmerman, and Tony Jones that Elway had a good offensive line. Not a coincidence that Elway finally won two SBs when he finally had some talent surrounding him. Doubt if there has ever been a QB in the league other than Elway who would have gotten the first three Broncos teams that he led to the SB there. Really laughable that people call Elway overrated.